Switching from pc to mac, general tips on RAW tools and workflow

Started by Africashot, June 28, 2014, 09:48:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Africashot

I've had it coming for a long time, but now that the motherboard of my work horse pc blew just a wonth after its warranty expired the moment has finally come: I am switching to Mac!
But behold, this shall not turn onto the old Mac vs Pc argument! All I am looking for are some pointers from the Mac Ml user community on what tools you use for your RAW needs: batch conversion, best practices, etc...
I know it is all in here on the forum but a few insider tips in this time of need due to work behind schedule worsened by brain frying chanves from nasty pc habits would be most appreciated!  Looking forward to your comments!
ML 5D2 & T3i

dsManning

I think everything I use is cross platform now.

MLRawViewer for viewing .mlv files and then conversion to .dng within the app
The cr2hdr Lightroom Plugin for dualISO .cr2 to .dng conversion
ExifTool for black point reset (if set incorrectly in mlvrec module)
Resolve Lite
Photoshop & Lightroom CC for Adobe Camera RAW
LRTimelapse (timelapses)
StarStaX (dark frame subtraction)

Africashot

Thanks a lot! I still shoot mainly raw files and havent touched the mlv format yet (mainly because I generally don't need sinced audio)  for conversion in Windows I used Batchelor, what would be a similar app on Mac?
ML 5D2 & T3i

Africashot

Wow, this software seems mindblowingly powerful, but reading further down the thread thete still seem to be some unresolved issues like pink dots in highlights, etc...  Would you think it is worth spending a little money on rawmagic?
ML 5D2 & T3i

reddeercity

I bought RawMagic, It Good no problems with 5D2. But I  still Prefer to use raw2cdng & convert on the PC, edit on the Mac.
I use my PC Laptop with USB 3.0 with external drive and convert,  plug the drive in to the mac as it will read the files or copy over
a simple network share.  The PC cdng work right in fcpx, but rawmagic ones don't . If you don't work with fcpx  it's not a issue.

dariSSight

Quote from: reddeercity on June 29, 2014, 05:20:29 AM
I bought RawMagic, It Good no problems with 5D2. But I  still Prefer to use raw2cdng & convert on the PC, edit on the Mac.
I use my PC Laptop with USB 3.0 with external drive and convert,  plug the drive in to the mac as it will read the files or copy over
a simple network share.  The PC cdng work right in fcpx, but rawmagic ones don't . If you don't work with fcpx  it's not a issue.
So what's the recommended conversion for a MAC Moment Taker that wouldn't dare touch a PC, and I will be filming some projects from July 7 to Sept 19 2014 are the Oct 24 for RAW without Audio and Feb 16 MLV with Audio still the most stable build, I don't want to look Ghetto to my Low Budget Crew?
Canon 5D Mark II

jimmyD30

dariSSight

Quote from: jimmyD30 on June 29, 2014, 01:26:44 PM
MLVMystic has been working well for me!
Thanks Jimmy
OK I have MLVMystic, Is it better than the Mac version of RAWMagic?
Canon 5D Mark II

jimmyD30

I believe RawMagic outputs CDNGs (or maybe DNGs too), so that's something to consider. Also, I've heard about little hiccups here ant there with RM, but Mystic always does a good job that I can see.

Africashot

Thanks for these pointers so far! Can anyone recommend a file joiner for RAW files on Mac? Also looking for a free HDR batch processing tool...
ML 5D2 & T3i

jimmyD30

Some conversion apps don't need files to be joined, but if you're using and older workflow, then you still might need to do it that way.