ProRes 4444 XQ

Started by Midphase, June 28, 2014, 05:55:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midphase

New Codec was released by Apple (along with new versions of FCPX). I winder if this new codec will be an even better intermediate or even finishing format for all of our 14bit raw file?

http://www.maclife.com/article/news/apple_updates_pro_video_apps_support_prores_4444_xq_media_improvements

reddeercity

I just got my update 10min ago, and there is a lot of improvement's to FCPX 10.1.2 & and the ProRes4444XQ .
It a HDR Codec up to 16bit with Alpha. Not just Rec 709 anymore.
From the Apple ProRes White Paper, June /2014
Quote• Apple ProRes 4444 XQ: The highest-quality version of Apple ProRes for 4:4:4:4 image
sources (including alpha channels), with a very high data rate to preserve the detail
in high-dynamic-range imagery generated by today's highest-quality digital image
sensors. Apple ProRes 4444 XQ preserves dynamic ranges several times greater than
the dynamic range of Rec. 709 imagery—even against the rigors of extreme visual
effects processing, in which tone-scale blacks or highlights are stretched significantly.
Like standard Apple ProRes 4444, this codec supports up to 12 bits per image channel
and up to 16 bits for the alpha channel. Apple ProRes 4444 XQ features a target data
rate of approximately 500 Mbps for 4:4:4 sources at 1920 x 1080 and 29.97 fps.
Note: Apple ProRes 4444 XQ requires OS X v10.8 (Mountain Lion) or later

There is 4 updates, ProApps Codec 1.0.5 , Motion 5.1.1 , Compressor 4.1.2 , FCPX 10.1.2.
There is better file management in fcpx , i hope this will help with Cdng import.
So I my be Staying in FCPX with Magic Lantern Raw :)

edit: Over the next few days I will put the updates to work and see if the Cdng workflow is a Real option with Apple products.
Link you the ProRes White paper -->http://images.apple.com/final-cut-pro/docs/Apple_ProRes_White_Paper.pdf

bennyray1

Will this Apple ProRes 4444 XQ codec be supported in other NLE's like Premiere or even After Effects. Just for a test I converted a Cineform .mov into a APX through Compressor and tried to edit in Premiere but would not work,I also tried to play the file in Quicktime but it also did not work. Is this codec only going to be able to be used through a FCPX pipeline? Maybe someone with more knowledge on the subject can shed some light on the future of this new codec.Thanks.

dubzeebass

Quote from: bennyray1 on June 29, 2014, 03:18:41 PM
Will this Apple ProRes 4444 XQ codec be supported in other NLE's like Premiere or even After Effects. Just for a test I converted a Cineform .mov into a APX through Compressor and tried to edit in Premiere but would not work,I also tried to play the file in Quicktime but it also did not work. Is this codec only going to be able to be used through a FCPX pipeline? Maybe someone with more knowledge on the subject can shed some light on the future of this new codec.Thanks.
How the_____ should any of us know. And  also.... Why wouldn't it?

jimmyD30

Yeah, sounds like good stuff :D

reddeercity

QuoteHow the_____ should any of us know. And  also.... Why wouldn't it?
Will anybody with Mac will know!
I will be testing the new codec very soon, as I can verify if it can work with adobe.
My workflow is Apple with Cdng & ProRes4444 in fcpx 10.1.2 , but right now I have a project(1.5TB) in fcpx
I'm exporting to Compressor via the sent to command for compression to H264, so it will be busy most of the day.
But as soon as it's done I will do some test workflows with Adobe, Apple, Autodesk, as I have all these software's at my
disposal. So hang in there I will report back a.s.a.p.  :D

bennyray1

Quote from: reddeercity on June 29, 2014, 10:47:20 PM
Will anybody with Mac will know!
I will be testing the new codec very soon, as I can verify if it can work with adobe.
My workflow is Apple with Cdng & ProRes4444 in fcpx 10.1.2 , but right now I have a project(1.5TB) in fcpx
I'm exporting to Compressor via the sent to command for compression to H264, so it will be busy most of the day.
But as soon as it's done I will do some test workflows with Adobe, Apple, Autodesk, as I have all these software's at my
disposal. So hang in there I will report back a.s.a.p.  :D

Thank you sir.

reddeercity

So far in my first test A.E. dose not have the option to encode from Cdng to ProRes 4444XQ.
So it leads my to believe this a Apple only codec for HDR video to work in FCPX 10.1.2.  As they mention in there release
to support the New camera, they needed to built a codec to handle the bandwidth without clipping the image.
I would think adobe would need to built a plugin or update so it can be read there.
Sorry Guys I think this is a Bonus for FCPX workflows , will do more tests thou. 

palegolas

Interesting stuff! I'm wondering if this codec supports native RAW white ballance settings. One of the benefits shooting in RAW is you don't ever need to worry about white ballance. White ballance has an impact in Log mode after all.

reddeercity

I use A.E. cc with the ACR to make this files with Apple ProRes 4444XQ then edit in FCPX, not sure about the native WB for raw as I adjust WB in A.E.
I really notice the difference in Grading with noisy images there no clipping from the source like normal prores4444 in the rec709 color space. 
ProRes4444XQ is linear So there is a lot of bandwidth to play with.     

nikki

Quote from: reddeercity on July 07, 2014, 08:47:01 AM
I use A.E. cc with the ACR to make this files with Apple ProRes 4444XQ then edit in FCPX, not sure about the native WB for raw as I adjust WB in A.E.
I really notice the difference in Grading with noisy images there no clipping from the source like normal prores4444 in the rec709 color space. 
ProRes4444XQ is linear So there is a lot of bandwidth to play with.   

so you can use ml raw with 444xq...can you guide us through?
I don't have A.E....(is there a way to just use fcp??)

martin_a

Quote from: reddeercity on July 07, 2014, 08:47:01 AM
I use A.E. cc with the ACR to make this files with Apple ProRes 4444XQ

How do you do this ?
5D Mark III
16-35 f/2.8L II USM
24-70 f/2.8L II USM

reddeercity

Quote from: martin_a on July 07, 2014, 03:38:24 PM
How do you do this ?
Just doing a quick video tutorial , as you have to hack apple to get the codec in the right place . :D

jimmyD30

Another video from @reddeercity... can't wait! :D

reddeercity

The wait is over, Here it is  :)

Danne

Nice one. Now if only one could get this little codec plugin without going through the latest final cut x somehow :)

jimmyD30

@Danne
I hear that! I'm going to do some searching and PM you if I find anything useful.

reddeercity

As far as I know the only way to get the codec is thought the ProApps Codecs v1.0.5
download link -->http://support.apple.com/downloads/DL1396/en_US/ProAppsCodecs.dmg
Give this a try  ;D

jimmyD30

Ok, downloaded, but will have to checkout later :D

Danne

Just checked the provided link package from reddeercity and used unpkg to watch the content. Could not find any ProRes 4444 XQ golden nugget in there unfortunately  :P

reddeercity

you could install the demo fcpx and get the codec  :D

Danne

Yeah, thought about it :). I might give it a go when I get home.
The hustle one go through to get a certain codec ;)

reddeercity

Yes you're right , but you will not be disappointed . I'm doing a short project right now with the Old Cowboy from my tutorial
and I'm very impressed with the results . 

motionSOUL

So FinalCut demo is the only way to get that new codec? And we can't access it from QuickTime?
Thank you so much Apple to continue to make our life more difficult ;-)
Have someone made more tests with this?

Thanks,

S.

SoulChildPaul

If you locate the prores codec inside the Final Cut Pro app package you can copy it to the QuickTime folder located in library which will make it available to any app