switched off Canon 5D2, ML v2.3 keeps battery draining

Started by hajes, June 21, 2014, 09:42:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hajes

Hi,

first I want to thank you guys for developing this piece of SW.

About a month ago I've installed latest ML v2.3 on my Canon 5D2 for some testing since I was disappointed by internal mic (what a surprise ;-).

All works well except one minor and major bug, which will most likely ends the testing and uninstall of ML.

1. when ML is on and I shoot just pictures, which is main reason I use my camera. Zoom function in PLAY mode doesn't work properly. Lets say I shot a picture and I want to evaluate my picture. If I zoom in/out it goes haywire. It starts to zoom itself in/out. Not big deal. I learn to switch off ML during the photo session.

2. Major problem for me, which cost me already few missing pictures is battery depletion even when my camera is off. I came from a photo session and I had 3/4 of battery capacity. One week later...battery dead. even two days later. Just to avoid confusion and arguments about broken batteries. No, I have one new battery and two with 80% health and before they last a month without using the camera.

My question is. Does anyone has this issue, please?

a1ex

2. Do not remove the card before the final LED blink.

(it's printed in bold in the install guide, and answered many times on the forum)

1. see the user guide.

dcw1979

I have the same problem. Even without taking out the card. Ive just been taking out the battery when Im not using the camera.

a1ex

Can you isolate the setting that's causing the battery drain?

I always keep the battery inside the camera, and had no problems yet (except for the documented issue - removing the card too fast).

SpcCb

Seems to be an old issue, I reported it last year: -> http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=4791.msg28383#msg28383

In fact, even when the camera is on 'off' some electronics are still active; you can make the test by removing/attaching an EF lens -> the red LED will blink.
So maybe _in certain conditions even with waiting the 'shutdown' red LED blinking_ ML drains the battery on 'off' position.
Note: I even had this issue without removing the CF card, just by switch off the camera after use it.

For people who have this issue: do you use the 'standard' ML v2.3 or a nightly build?

a1ex