No Profile in ACR with raw2dng problem...

Started by dude, October 15, 2013, 09:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dude

Hi, just wanted to tell you about my actual problem, because others have the same, i started a new thread.
latest nightly built for MK III, and raw2dng from here http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5404.0.
When i open the files in acr, it always says canicon in the topic. i tried several things, like the raw2cdng, rawanizer etc, but i always have the "embedded" option only.
any ideas how to tell the files that i am using a mkiii, i even want to play around with the profiles (flat, landscape...), but nothing is there.
when i open a cr2 file, the profiles are there again, so this problem does not come from acr.
maybe there is a newer version of raw2dng?

Thanks a lot for your help!!

**edit: using raw2cdng, in the app the MK III name shows up. but again in acr, its named canikon...

Kharak

I got exactly the same problem, I am using 5D MK II.

Tried different version of raw2dng and all do the same, maybe not the right one.

Looked at older footage, 2 months or so and they are interpreted correctly in ACR. No idea which raw2dng was used for those.
once you go raw you never go back

vertigopix

Same problem with a 60D.

I think that it can be a good idea to put "official tools" like this in the "Downloads" page of the site.

dude

Do people exist who got right exif data and the right profiles in acr?
If not, the problem is clear. if so, we need to figure out which nightly they use...

dude

definitely the future, but does not solve the problems with already recorded footage.
i thought that there was a way, but seems like only with mlv it s possible to tell acr the camera name.
isn t there a profile which recognizes the footage as canikon and so gives the oppertunity to choose camera-spezific profiles and lens correction?

Rewind

Guys, I don't see the problem. You can always use older raw2dng, which saves camera name.

UPD. My bad. Some time ago I just hardcoded the camera name.

a1ex

You can change it with exiftool.

Start with something like this (you will need a CR2 picture to copy exif info from it):
exiftool -tagsFromFile IMG_1234.CR2 -all:all "-UniqueCameraModel<Model" *.DNG -overwrite_original

and tweak it until ACR recognizes it (I don't have it, so can't help much more than that).

There's no raw2dng that can autodetect the camera from a *.RAW file afaik. Maybe you can write a reverse lookup from color matrix?

Kharak

I'm not a programmer :'(

but how come it worked in the older versions?

a1ex

It didn't.

You probably had a modified raw2dng that hardcoded the name of your camera.

Kharak

But when I import some of my older footage, ACR interprets my camera as 5D MK II and I can choose all profiles, like Faithful, Landscape etc..

edit reply: No idea where to find that raw2dng version now :(

Another note, when ML RAW was new, I could choose raw2dng to be standard program for RAW files, so I didn't have to drag and drop, I could just double click any RAW file and it would start converting. Think it was in June or so, it was not possible anymore.

Steven Griffith

We can convert any Adobe standard dcp profiles for you to work with "canikon" exif data. Send us a .dng file, the name of your camera and Adobe profiles you want converted  to [email protected]
Steven Griffith | VisionColor
www.vision-color.com
[email protected]

Kharak

I looked at two different shoots, both converted with the same version of RAWanizer 0.6.0, but one shoot has Camera Profiles and the other does not? Whats up with that?

Alex, are you sure this has nothing to do with with raw_rec or something else in the camera? or is there some bug with

PS. I found a version of raw2dng on my computer, that keeps Camera Profiles, its just such a pain having to drag and drop every RAW file, RAWanizer just works like a horse on that area and it seems, that version of raw2dng can not merge files. I'm no programmer so tried to just overwrite the raw2dng in the RAWanizer folder, but RAWanizer didn't implement any profile. Guess its back to drag and drop hell :(

painya

Quote from: Kharak on October 17, 2013, 03:05:46 AM
Guess its back to drag and drop hell :(
A way I solved this was by putting all of my seperate RAW videos in different folders, and copied a version of raw2dng into each, and then converted within each of them.

But then I discovered raw2cdng (raw 2 cinema dng) which creates folders for you.
Good footage doesn't make a story any better.

Kharak

Quote from: painya on October 17, 2013, 03:30:38 AM
A way I solved this was by putting all of my seperate RAW videos in different folders, and copied a version of raw2dng into each, and then converted within each of them.

But then I discovered raw2cdng (raw 2 cinema dng) which creates folders for you.

Thats what RAWanizer does :) and in some cases (apparently) adds exif data too.

And I don't like cdng, I compared grades done with dng and cdng, and to me the dng grades come out better than cdng. But cdng obviously must have some sort of advantage as thats all I hear people talk about. But to me, I get better images out of DNG.

And cdng does not add camera profilfe, which this thread is about :)

painya

I was just answering on the topic I knew about within the thread  ;D
Good footage doesn't make a story any better.

Kharak

Yo dude!

This worked for me.

try this, if you got RAWanizer.

I overwrited the raw2dng.exe in the RAWanizer Tools folder with the old raw2dng that includes camera profiles. (that alone did not work for me).

Now use raw2dng that includes camera profile on a RAW file, Say you got a couple of shots that need converting. Take the first raw file and start converting with raw2dng, abort it after a couple frames.

Start converting all RAW files with RAWanizer.

dunno if that's exactly what did the trick, but all the DNG's I converted have the camera information now :)

Hope it works for ya. Not sure exactly what version my raw2dng is, that I am using, but in properties it says Modified 15 July, it's 132 kb (says 133 somewhere) and it does not merge files, but merging works via RAWanizer though. Hope that little info helps you find the version.

I also did proxy tiffs and ProRes 444, just FYI.

Good luck :)

chmee

Quote from: Kharak on October 18, 2013, 05:13:00 AM..nd cdng does not add camera profilfe, which this thread is about :)
I didnt knew, that the uniqueName is that important. to be honest, i didnt put my topics on converting with ACR - i wrote this tool, to get as fast as possible into the video-tools. sorry.
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

1%

Maybe camera name should be a command line option?

chmee

lol. what a simple and good idea. on todo-list. is the uniqueName the only one adobe needs to match to a profile?
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

1%

Arthurdickson

Anybody find a fix for this???

I'm using the BMD Film to VisionLOG LUT in Resolve on my Imac but for work on location i was hoping to get the VisionLOG DCP working for ACR profile at import in After Effects on my macbook pro.

I've tried RAW2dng, RAWmagic and MLRawViewer and profiles wont show up on ACR. I don't know coding so i am at the mercy of possibly easier fix for this.

thanks in advance,

A.

Kharak

You've been digging deep to find this old thread.

I suppose you are recording with raw and not MLV as you are having this problem.

What you need is a raw2dng that is specific to your camera model. What model are you using?

I have raw2dng for 5D MK II lying around

You can also with EXIF tool write in the UniqueName of you camera model and just use whatever converter you have and that will give you the right Camera Profile.

Search the forum for EXIF tool