ML or TL support of LiveView on the EOS-M with HDMI plugged in?

Started by cudak888, June 21, 2014, 02:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cudak888

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but after 5 hours of searching, I have yet to find a current answer:

I am trying to figure out some method of monitoring audio from the EOS-M while retaining LiveView. The FAQ states that the Digital A/V-to-RCA output is not supported on the M.

Hence, I've been trying to find out whether either Magic or Tragic Lantern's most recent build will allow for Live View functionality when connected via HDMI to a monitor. My Sony field/studio monitor has an audio-out jack from which I can monitor the EOS-M, but it'd be nice to have the touchscreen settings to allow for adjustment without cycling through multiple menus.

-Kurt

Audionut

You should help with the development effort over here:  http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12375.0

When this is done, I assume a lot of HDMI issues will be fixed.

cudak888

Quote from: Audionut on June 22, 2014, 12:29:54 PM
You should help with the development effort over here:  http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12375.0

When this is done, I assume a lot of HDMI issues will be fixed.

Would be glad to do so, if it is feasible to perform the dumps without touchscreen capabilities.

EDIT: I successfully dumped all video modes with the M, but when I connect my monitor to HDMI out, I lose the touchscreen. Is there an alternate method of accessing ML's menu other than two finger taps?

-Kurt

P.S.: I take it from your reply that HDMI-out w/LiveView is not supported at this time - correct?

a1ex

Can you suggest a button? Use the "Show GUI events" option to see if that button can be recognized by ML.

Long presses can be detected too; for this, your button has to send a "press" and a "unpress" event.

cudak888

Quote from: a1ex on June 22, 2014, 02:48:43 PM
Can you suggest a button? Use the "Show GUI events" option to see if that button can be recognized by ML.

Long presses can be detected too; for this, your button has to send a "press" and a "unpress" event.

A long press of the garbage can would probably work.

Would "Show GUI Events" log the code?

-Kurt

a1ex

cudak888

Quote from: a1ex on June 22, 2014, 03:59:02 PM
You tell me; I don't have an EOS-M.

I've never tried to code ML - this ought to be interesting for both of us!  ;)

That said, going by what I'm getting with ML GUI logging on the 300ms delay, it seems as if the garbage can emits the following code:

This is on short press:

p= 54 *o= 0/0/0 a= 0
p= 2c *o= 0/0/0 a= 0
p= 2d *o= 0/0/0 a= 0

This is on long press:

p= 54 *o= 0/0/0 a= 0
p= 2c *o= 0/0/0 a= 0
p= 2d *o= 0/0/0 a= 0
p= 2c *o= e1a000/14e59ff0/14e59ff0 a= 0
p= 2d *o= 0/0/0 a= 0
p= 2c *o= e1a000/14e59ff0/14e59ff0 a= 0

Near as I can figure it, it throws the p= 2c *o= e1a000/14e59ff0/14e59ff0 a= 0 event to log the long-press garbage can. Does this make sense?

-Kurt

a1ex

These codes are defined as GMT_GUICMD_PRESS_BUTTON_SOMETHING (common to many buttons), BGMT_PRESS_DOWN and BGMT_UNPRESS_DOWN.

Normally, the "down" key is used to move the focus box (when no Canon menus are triggered). Is it different on the EOS-M?

I'm also thinking at a long press of SET, if it sends the proper codes.

cudak888

Quote from: a1ex on June 22, 2014, 04:18:02 PM
These codes are defined as GMT_GUICMD_PRESS_BUTTON_SOMETHING (common to many buttons), BGMT_PRESS_DOWN and BGMT_UNPRESS_DOWN.

Normally, the "down" key is used to move the focus box (when no Canon menus are triggered). Is it different on the EOS-M?

I'm also thinking at a long press of SET, if it sends the proper codes.

Sorry if I'm a bit slow in responding, but I'm shooting with the camera at the same time.

The 4-position up-down-left-right ring (which also rotates) does NOT move the focus box. Up is your shooting mode, left is AE lock, right cycles between shutter speed and aperture (which are then adjusted with the rotating ring), and down resets the focus box to center. The focus box itself is moved via the touch screen.

-Kurt

a1ex

Alright, so a long-press on "down" in addition to the existing two-finger method should not hurt, right?

cudak888

Quote from: a1ex on June 22, 2014, 05:02:58 PM
Alright, so a long-press on "down" in addition to the existing two-finger method should not hurt, right?

Probably. One won't be able to reset the focus area on the ML screen; that's the main issue.

FYI, the "right" key on the ML screen does nothing - might be acceptable to map it there, so long as it can be isolated from the Canon screen where it operates the switch between aperture and exposure.

-Kurt

a1ex

cudak888

Quote from: a1ex on June 22, 2014, 05:34:11 PM
Short press will keep its old functionality.

True.

Where should I go from here as per ML protocols?

-Kurt

a1ex

cudak888

Quote from: a1ex on June 22, 2014, 06:24:06 PM
Are you able to compile ML yourself?

I've done HTML and rudimentary game physics coding. Show me a link to get started, and I'll give it a shot.

-Kurt

a1ex

I've tried it on 550D and works really well.

You can try it in the current nightly.

cudak888

Quote from: a1ex on June 22, 2014, 08:57:45 PM
I've tried it on 550D and works really well.

You can try it in the current nightly.

If this is the process, it looks as if I'm going to have a fun evening: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=2899.msg14021#msg14021

Any chance of the button remapping (and any HDMI mods) actually making it into a build? I'm doing this mainly to see if I can get the EOS-M monitor to stay on when monitoring audio.

-Kurt

cudak888

Before I go off trying to do one thing to fix another, I was able to get an event for the HDMI cable:

Quotep=fffffff9 *0= 0/ 0/ 0 a=fffe1dc0

-Kurt

cudak888

Is there a list of known Canon events listed somewhere here on the forum? Would help me to know what I'm getting into before getting into it.

-Kurt

a1ex

In gui.h. But what are you trying to do? The feature is already in the nightly builds, and confirmed to work.

cudak888

Quote from: a1ex on June 24, 2014, 02:48:37 PM
In gui.h. But what are you trying to do? The feature is already in the nightly builds, and confirmed to work.

I am trying to get the EOS-M's LiveView and touchscreen capabilities to remain on at the same time that I have an external HDMI monitor connected, so that I may monitor audio from the monitor.

Alternately, if there is a function in ML to allow the Digital A/V output to work without losing Live View, that'd work.

The nightly build I have in my EOS-M is from Jun 21st; haven't found support for either in it.

-Kurt

a1ex

Ah, I meant accessing the menu without touch screen, as discussed above.