Picture recording and Live View do not work on 600d after fps override (1s)

Started by bigmike, June 21, 2014, 12:40:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigmike

I had been happily using ML for several months.  Then I set the FPS override to 1 second in hopes of an upcoming astrophotography time lapse.

The Actual FPS now displays 0.000 and both fps timer a & b are 0 (as in the picture below).  These will not change upon restart and neither one will change manually.  Adjusting any parameter in the fps override box does not change the base values of timer a or b or the actual fps. 

Live view opens the shutter, displays black, then sometimes closes the shutter and shows dark green or other times doesn't do anything.  A battery-pull is required to turn off the camera and it has the same settings upon restart. Taking a picture using the viewfinder will not immediately error, but will not record the image.  Turning off the camera after snapping a shot shows the "recording data" screen indefinitely.

ML version used:
magiclantern-v2.3.550D.60D.600D.50D.500D.5D2

Update: Tried with ML card in and out (no card), plain card, and various FT+ settings for the timers.  Got error 70 a few times, but it was not tied to one particular setting and was difficult to reproduce regularly.  ML saved an error log with the following:
ASSERT: 0
at Evf\EvfState.c:1190, task Evf
lv:1 mode:3

Magic Lantern version : v2.3.600D.102
Mercurial changeset   : 7fee07c3b461+ (unified) tip
Built on 2012-07-23 16:06:42 by alex@thinkpad.
Free Memory  : 334K + 977K

dmilligan

Quote from: bigmike on June 21, 2014, 12:40:12 AM
Magic Lantern version : v2.3.600D.102
Mercurial changeset   : 7fee07c3b461+ (unified) tip
Built on 2012-07-23 16:06:42 by alex@thinkpad.
Free Memory  : 334K + 977K
Try a more recent version, that is nearly two years old!
http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/

bigmike

Quote from: dmilligan on June 21, 2014, 02:36:49 AM
Try a more recent version, that is nearly two years old!
http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/

I downloaded ML in March 2014, so I'm not sure why that is the listed build date in the error log.

Updated to the current stable release (v2.3) and have the same issue.

dmilligan

It doesn't matter when you download it, the version is still from 2 years ago. ML is not really doing stable releases any more and hasn't for 2 years, v2.3 is 2 years old. Download a recent version from the link I posted.

bigmike

Used the latest nightly build.  Live View works for ~10 seconds and then gives error 70 and the following crash log:

ASSERT: 0
at Evf\EvfState.c:1190, task Evf
lv:1 mode:3

Magic Lantern version : Nightly.2014Jun21.600D102
Mercurial changeset   : 392d3500248e (unified) tip
Built on 2014-06-21 08:13:55 UTC by [email protected].
Free Memory  : 251K + 1081K

Taking a picture yields the same result as the original problem - it appears to take a picture but it is never displayed to the screen or saved on the card.  The battery then requires removal to return to the menu or anything else.

The fps timer issue appears unchanged:

bigmike

So, the Live View worked with the 6/21 nightly build for 5 or so minutes (was able to use live view after several camera restarts).  It now has the same issue as before - either a black screen or green screen after starting live view.  Occasionally the screen displays a colored pattern of dots or lines.  This is only when entering live view and behavior changes with no changes to any options in the ML or canon menus.  Photo taking only displays black.

I very much do appreciate your responses dmilligan! 

dmilligan

Quote from: bigmike on June 21, 2014, 12:40:12 AM
The Actual FPS now displays 0.000 and both fps timer a & b are 0 (as in the picture below).  These will not change upon restart and neither one will change manually.  Adjusting any parameter in the fps override box does not change the base values of timer a or b or the actual fps. 
Quote from: bigmike on June 21, 2014, 05:06:35 PM
The fps timer issue appears unchanged:
These values won't appear until you actually enable FPS override and enter LV. The orange warning text at the bottom should be a good clue ;)

Enable FPS override, enter LV and then go back to the ML menu. Now what do you see?

Also, you have it set to 'Optimize for: High FPS' when trying to use a low FPS => probably not the best idea. What happens when try 'low light' or 'exact fps'?

There was some changes made to FPS override recently that broke a lot of things (at least for me on 60D) and then were fixed again. The original changes started at 5e23456 on 2014-05-21 to b9a68ef on 2014-05-23
You can try some builds from around that time (before, during and after) to perhaps narrow down the problem. You might find the version before those changes to FPS override to be more stable.

a1ex

Here's a debug build that will print all Canon's error messages: autoexec.bin

Usage:
- after starting the camera, you will hear two beeps, with 10 seconds between them
- anything you do between these two beeps will be logged (all Canon's debug messages will be saved)
- therefore, after the first beep, but before the second one, try taking a picture; you will get a file named dm.log; rename it
- restart the camera, and after the first beep, go to LiveView this time; rename dm.log again
- clear Canon settings and try to get the logs again (taking a picture, and entering LiveView)
- upload the 4 log files

@dmilligan: timer values do appear with FPS override turned off, and the core functionality of FPS override was not changed since 2.3.

It smells like a hardware issue to me. I don't think I'll able to fix it, but the logs should give some clues about what's going on.

Source code is based on https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/branch/dm-spy-experiments

beep();
    debug_intercept();
    msleep(10000);
    beep();
    debug_intercept();

CONFIG_GDB          = y
CONFIG_DEBUG_INTERCEPT = y
CONFIG_DEBUG_INTERCEPT_STARTUP = n
CONFIG_DEBUG_INTERCEPT_STARTUP_BLINK = n
CONFIG_MODULES = n

dmilligan

Quote from: a1ex on June 21, 2014, 11:26:07 PM
@dmilligan: timer values do appear with FPS override turned off, and the core functionality of FPS override was not changed since 2.3.
Well, that has not been my experience at all.

a1ex

If you open ML menu outside LiveView, you will get timer values set to 0.

But if you open it in LiveView, with FPS override turned off, it reads Canon default values. This was the behavior since March 2012.