My workflow with .mlv and VisionColor Osiris LUTs

Started by goran, June 17, 2014, 11:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goran

Hello all,

After searching online for the best way to process ML Raw files for use with VisionColor Osiris LUTs and not finding a clear answer, I decided to do some testing on my own and here's the process I've found to work the best for me so far.

The main problem with using VisionColor Osiris LUTs is that they're really "optimized" to work with their VisionLOG Raw and that means using AE for handling the Raw files which is slow. If you're using Davinci Resolve to handle your CinemaDNGs you're stuck with the BMD Film for debayering and gamma which is, well, made for completely different camera than the 5D MK III or any other Canon and applying the Osiris LUTs to BMD Film processed files gives a completely different colors from the ones you get using the VisionLOG.

Of course you could match the colors from BMD Film processed CinemaDNGs to the ones processed with AE and VisionLOG but this workflow is for the "one-click" type of work where you get 95% of the way with just applying the LUTs.

So here's my workflow, I hope you find it helpful:

1. Convert .mlv files using RAWMagic. Check 16 bit CinemaDNG Output. Check Vertical Stripes Correction.
2. Import CinemaDNG files into Davinci Resolve.
3. Debayering in Camera Raw:
   Decode: Using Clip
   White Balance: Choose Appropriate Value
   Color Space: BMD Film
   Gamma: BMD Film
   Check Highlight Recovery
4. Create two serial nodes.
5. On the first node apply BMD Film to VisionLOG LUT 64 version. You may download the LUT here: http://www.vision-color.com/visionlog/
6. On the second node apply creative LUT such as VisionColor Osiris M31 for example or any other Osiris LUT.
7. Adjust exposure on the first node using Camera Raw accordingly. I've found that you may need to adjust the exposure up to -2 on properly exposed files (incident light meter reading) in Camera Raw since the BMD Film to VisionLOG LUT will make the image much much brighter. I don't think it's a good exercise to underexpose during filming because it may introduce grain. At least in my testing properly exposed files at 800 ISO look clearer than the underexposed ones by one stop at 400 ISO. Mainly in the shadows. From what I've seen the BMD Film to VisionLOG LUT doesn't blow any details on properly exposed files, so decreasing exposure in Camera Raw retains all of the original info in the file. Underexposed files show excessive grain after applying BMD Film to VisionLOG LUT.
8. Make any additional adjustments.

I need to test this a bit further but so far that seems the best way to me.

I'd love to hear what you think of the process and I hope you find it useful.

All best,
Goran

baldavenger

Thank you!   :)

This is valuable information and many thanks for going to the trouble of researching and documenting these results.
EOS 5D Mark III | EOS 600D | Canon 24-105mm f4L | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 50mm f1.4 | Samyang 14mm T3.1 | Opteka 8mm f3.5

actingnurse

I'm curious for other feedback too... been considering getting the Osiris LUTS..
Also - anyone have a solid workflow for Davinci to Premiere or Davinci to Avid where I can link the files and truly work off of the DNG files instead of compressed mess?

goran

Quote from: actingnurse on June 18, 2014, 08:26:32 AM
I'm curious for other feedback too... been considering getting the Osiris LUTS..
Also - anyone have a solid workflow for Davinci to Premiere or Davinci to Avid where I can link the files and truly work off of the DNG files instead of compressed mess?

Here's a workflow I use.

http://nofilmschool.com/2013/09/tutorial-canon-5d-mark-iii-magic-lantern-raw-offline-online/

Basically you create proxies for editing and once you start coloring, it links to the original CinemaDNGs. It works quite well.

Goran

goran

By the way this morning I had an update to my Premiere Pro called Premiere Pro CC 2014 which reads CinemaDNGs natively without the pink cast and plays them at real time!

So if you have the latest update, you should be able to cut your CinemaDNGs in PP natively and than export the project to Davinci for grading and all without transcoding or creating proxies!

This should speed things up :)

Goran

actingnurse

My update better roll out tomorrow...

all I can say is this makes me happy.
Skeet skeet.

garena

Hi Goran,
I Can't found the BMD Film to VisionLOG LUT 64 version in DavinciResolve.
I downloaded VisionLog from http://www.vision-color.com/visionlog/ But it's only for CameraRaw and LightRoom.
Can you help me Please?
Thank you

goran

Quote from: garena on July 20, 2014, 10:41:20 PM
Hi Goran,
I Can't found the BMD Film to VisionLOG LUT 64 version in DavinciResolve.
I downloaded VisionLog from http://www.vision-color.com/visionlog/ But it's only for CameraRaw and LightRoom.
Can you help me Please?
Thank you

It's there at the very bottom of the page.
Here's a direct link:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/erd1pwa7n11rxc3/BMD%20Film%20to%20VisionLOG%20LUT.zip

You need to install it into Resolve. On Mac the path is:
Macintosh HD > Library > Application Support > Blackmagic Design > Davinci Resolve > LUT.
Put the files you download inside the LUT folder. I'm not sure what the path for Windows would be.

All best,
Goran

Arthurdickson

what do you mean by:

Quote from: goran on June 17, 2014, 11:59:33 PM
7. Adjust exposure on the first node using Camera Raw accordingly.

You can use adobe camera raw in a node? im still new to resolve sorry for my ignorance however ive been using you EXACT workflow for a bit now. Its very true what you say about the exposure and the grain. The conversion bdmfilm to visionLOG introduces quite some noise in the shadows.

goran

Quote from: Arthurdickson on July 30, 2014, 12:44:25 AM
what do you mean by:

You can use adobe camera raw in a node? im still new to resolve sorry for my ignorance however ive been using you EXACT workflow for a bit now. Its very true what you say about the exposure and the grain. The conversion bdmfilm to visionLOG introduces quite some noise in the shadows.

Davinci has its own raw controls tab in which you can manipulate video's parameters. It's the first tab from the left with camera icon when you're in Color Correction main tab. There's a big difference between changing exposure via primaries and raw controls, and hence my recommendation to change the exposure via the raw tab. Btw you don't have to be on the first node to access the raw tab. You can do it from any tab you wish.

I hope I explained it well.

Goran

Neuno

Hey Goran

By the name I would say that we are coming from the same part of the World. (Balcan)
I would like to ask for some advices from you if you are willing to help me.
I am using Canon 5d III and shooting RAW and really green when it comes to the using LUTs.
I am just starting with Davinci Resolve and your help would mean a WORLD to me.
So before I start asking questions I just wanted to introduce my self and see do you want to Help me.
In any case thank you
Adi

goran

Quote from: Neuno on August 05, 2014, 11:37:33 AM
Hey Goran

By the name I would say that we are coming from the same part of the World. (Balcan)
I would like to ask for some advices from you if you are willing to help me.
I am using Canon 5d III and shooting RAW and really green when it comes to the using LUTs.
I am just starting with Davinci Resolve and your help would mean a WORLD to me.
So before I start asking questions I just wanted to introduce my self and see do you want to Help me.
In any case thank you
Adi

I can try :)

Neuno

:D    :D     :D     :D
THANK YOU !!!

Well lets start wih some basic questions. Since I am using windows and not MAC in my software's that I was using for editing until now I didng had PRO RES 444 option. My work flow with RAW was very simple`- Convert DNG trough RAW2DNG, save them as TIFFs, open them with Photoshop and ACR, do some basic color correcting and using Quicktime 7 pro I would open them and save them as image sequence, but also in there I didnt had pro res option and I would chose mp4 file as output. From there I would go back to Vegas or AE and finish it. But It seems to me that when I go like this I dont get the full pack` that you get from RAW. Is there a better option to do so.
Also with Davinci what would be the best settings for Camera raw tab when using RAW video. I just got Vision tech LUTs and I want to try them but I dont know how :(

Thank You in advance.
Ad

goran

Quote from: Neuno on August 06, 2014, 10:57:47 AM
:D    :D     :D     :D
THANK YOU !!!

Well lets start wih some basic questions. Since I am using windows and not MAC in my software's that I was using for editing until now I didng had PRO RES 444 option. My work flow with RAW was very simple`- Convert DNG trough RAW2DNG, save them as TIFFs, open them with Photoshop and ACR, do some basic color correcting and using Quicktime 7 pro I would open them and save them as image sequence, but also in there I didnt had pro res option and I would chose mp4 file as output. From there I would go back to Vegas or AE and finish it. But It seems to me that when I go like this I dont get the full pack` that you get from RAW. Is there a better option to do so.
Also with Davinci what would be the best settings for Camera raw tab when using RAW video. I just got Vision tech LUTs and I want to try them but I dont know how :(

Thank You in advance.
Ad

Hi Ad,

Sorry for the delay...
Anyway, you're definitely not maximizing the potential raw footage has using your workflow.
Basically it's very simple. The process in general is convert raw footage to cinema dng, export that footage to some intermediate codec on which you'll do the cut (it's called proxy because it's there to stand in for the real footage that will come in later) and once you've finished your cut you export that cut to Davinci for color correction which will be based on the cut you did only the coloring will be done on the raw files.
The only tricky part in this process is to make sure you tick the right boxes inside davinci so once you import your cut into it, it doesn't grade the proxy files but references to the original raw files.

Here's a very good guide on this very process:
http://nofilmschool.com/2013/09/tutorial-canon-5d-mark-iii-magic-lantern-raw-offline-online/

A few remarks:
1. You can safely skip the renaming part.
2. The guide was done on a mac. That means you won't have prores as an export option if you're on a pc. It doesn't matter. Proxy files can be of any type you wish since they're there only for the cut in your nle of choice. The grading will be done on the raw files. So for that matter your proxies can be h.264 or any other format davinci can export on Windows.

Follow the tutorial and once you're through it you'll see it's rather simple.

What you're doing currently is take your footage, do some basic color correction on it and than export it to 8bit format which you later further grade. Your final grade is not done on the raw files and therefore you loose a lot of image quality and flexibility in post. Also, I prefer to do all of the grading after I've finished my cut, but some people prefer to do some minor corrections before cutting. Either way, the best way to enjoy full quality of your raw files is to follow the proxy method.

You could also if you have premiere pro 2014 cut the raw files since it can read them and than export for grading, however since I'm used to the proxy method I cannot comment too much on this way.

Hope I could be of help,
Goran

DeafEyeJedi

Guys-

After numerous of different workflows and here I came to the quicker and easiest way but of course there are flaws. 10-bit vs 12-bit. BIG difference well according to my own set of eyes. I am positive that there will be an update rolling out soon for this remarkable software called MLRawViewer, which would allow you to view either MLV or RAW files from ML on both PC & Mac. Not only that it would also allow you edit (somewhat kind of) as well as to add a bunch of a different LUT's all on top of one and another. It's pretty jaw dropping and literally almost like a custom made version of SmallHD instantly in your hands. No Joke!

Yes, it's not perfect but just like everything else in life, you work around it and it'll come your way.

Definitely worth to check it out...

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9560.msg91165#msg91165

Happy Shooting!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109