Remember - A short film shot using ML Raw Video on 5D MKIII for Father's Day

Started by Budders, June 15, 2014, 08:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Budders

I wanted to share this with you all, it's the first short I've worked on in my free time shooting with ML RAW Video on my 5D, using only natural lighting. I created this in memory of my grandfather, who passed away many years ago, and dedicated it to my father as a Father's Day gift. The video is of my brother visiting the place where we scattered my grandfather's ashes and leaving a rose in remembrance.

The video hasn't been graded or altered outside of minor adjustments in ACR to balance the exposures, shadows/highlights and color across shots. Let me know what you guys think!

MrTodd

Super vid m8. Love the colour, jib shots and the overall mood in this piece.

Well done.

Pity about the Liverpool thing at the start though  ;)        - I'm a Man U man myself.
Some Canon stuff and some other stuff too. You can't polish a turd but shit does wipe off.

dsManning

Haha ManU as well, but we can all root for the world cup.

Great piece and great Father's Day gift.  Love the closing shot and how the camera is bobbing with the wake (on a dock I assume).  Hope dad was happy!

dubzeebass

Budders

Quote from: dsManning on June 16, 2014, 02:03:41 AM
Haha ManU as well, but we can all root for the world cup.

Great piece and great Father's Day gift.  Love the closing shot and how the camera is bobbing with the wake (on a dock I assume).  Hope dad was happy!

Haha honestly I'm a ManU guy as well, my brother and mom are Liverpool though!

Thanks! Needless to say, my dad got quite emotional over the whole thing and had to go spend some time alone for a bit after watching it. He later told me it's the greatest gift he's ever received since my brother and I were born, so I'm definitely happy with the results. His brothers and the rest of my family all also loved it.

Yes, the final shot was done from the dock previously seen in the video, I loved the natural look it gave to the whole thing. Unfortunately, my card was full after the shot of my brother looking out at the water, and I had to shoot that final shot of the flower floating for the credits as a standard H264 to the lower speed SD card in my camera. Still worked well once I did some timewarping on it though.

Budders

Quote from: dubzeebass on June 16, 2014, 03:30:40 AM
How did you do the stabilization when walking?

I shot it on a steadycam (CMR Blackbird), and then further stabilized it using the motion tracker in AE, since I'm still not that up to par on my steadycam-ing and don't have an arm/vest haha and there was still a bit of wobble.