DIY LCD Hood Template for EOS M

Started by AnthonyEngelken, June 12, 2014, 11:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnthonyEngelken

Most annoying issue I have with my M is outdoor screen glare, but I haven't been able to find a hood that's the right size, so I did some measuring and created a template to make my own.

Tried it out with some black foam-board; not the perfect material, but not bad either. (sorry 'bout the potato quality images)

You can download the template I made here: http://anthonyengelken.com/ml/eosm-lcd-hood-template.pdf

If you find a material that works great, let me know. Also, if you use my template, watch and share this teaser trailer for my new film maybe? :)

Pharinen

Thank you very much, I have to give this a try!  :D

simpsus

What is that lens/adapter combination you are sportin on the M?

2blackbar

This doesnt really help much, i dont think its worth to use it, difference is minimal, i think its best to bump up screen brightness like on your phone during sunny days cause its basically touchscreen from phones.

AnthonyEngelken

Quote from: simpsus on June 18, 2014, 11:21:59 AM
What is that lens/adapter combination you are sportin on the M?

The lens is a C-mount Fujian 35mm f1.7, the adapter is C-mount -> EF-M; really fun little toy-like lens, cheap on eBay. Heavy barrel distortion (no vignetting) on APS-C which makes shots sort of dreamy.

Quote from: 2blackbar on June 18, 2014, 06:24:25 PM
This doesnt really help much, i dont think its worth to use it, difference is minimal, i think its best to bump up screen brightness like on your phone during sunny days cause its basically touchscreen from phones.

I beg to differ Mr. Negativity; I wanted to get the sun off my screen, and that's exactly what it's done. :)

simpsus

Thanks for the hint.
I am new to the M and I have bought some cheap M42 lenses off Ebay with an M42 to EF adapter and an EF to EF-M adapter but I keep getting errors
"lens communication faulty, clean contacts" or
"lens firmware update failed"

AnthonyEngelken

Quote from: simpsus on June 24, 2014, 09:18:27 AM
Thanks for the hint.
I am new to the M and I have bought some cheap M42 lenses off Ebay with an M42 to EF adapter and an EF to EF-M adapter but I keep getting errors
"lens communication faulty, clean contacts" or
"lens firmware update failed"

Hmm... Can't make mine give me those errors, but it probably has to do with the EF/EF-M adapter. Best suggestion I can give is to make sure that in the MENU, wrench #4, open "Custom Functions(C.Fn)". Find "Release shutter w/o lens", then enable it. If that doesn't fix it, buy a M42/EF-M adapter instead.

kihlbahkt

Hey, great idea. I have a recommendation for a slight improvement. Perhaps you could glue small strips of vinyl or similar flexible plastic along the edges that touch the cam. This little plastic edge would spread out and fill any small gaps that might cause light or reflection issues on the screen. You would cut a strip of the needed length and maybe 1/2 inch wide. Glue the strip one side and then loop it over edge and glue to other side of the hood. It creates a flexible edge if you leave a gap and the plastic loop compresses against the cam. That may or may not make sense but I have it visualized perfectly in my head.
600D x2

AnthonyEngelken

Quote from: kihlbahkt on June 26, 2014, 02:33:35 AM
Perhaps you could glue small strips of vinyl or similar flexible plastic along the edges that touch the cam.

Good suggestion, there is a little bit of light leak from the top edge that a flexible seal could prevent.