Fixed - 5Dm3 experience (+ some bad news)

Started by Puppinello, June 11, 2014, 09:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puppinello

Hi guys!
I have shot about 20 takes (25 seconds each) couple days ago with my Canon 5D Mark III. RAW recording with mlv_rec  works just fine. Sometimes it needs to make couple attempts first (about 100-120 frames each) with "skipping frame" warning and stopping recording (I don't really know why it so). But usually after that I can get good recording with "Continuous OK" and how can see it fills only the half of the recording buffer on 1080p 25fps. I have Lexar Professional 1000 128 Gb CF. You can see one of the shot here:

You can check the picture quality. I mean, color and dynamic range. They are really great.

But sometimes I have got such kind of picture (3 of 20 this time):

And I was terribly frustrating of it because I can never know what kind of picture I finally get because while recording all seemed to be good. And worst of all, I do not understand what causes do it. I thought it was sensor overheating at first. Then I get some good shots with 50C and dismissed this suggestion.  Guys, any ideas?

UPD1: The Solution to fix Black MLV video is here
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11664.0
(Add --black-fix=2048 to mlv_dump string)
But the question is: How to avoid this at all?

UPD2:

Monsanto

Hey buddy :o. Have you tried using a fast SD not a CF card for recording RAW also CF cards like Komputer bay cause problems Lexar is one of the good stable solutions. Run a benchmark test on both SD & CF. Also make sure you have read the settings guide correctly. For example turn off Global draw have pics set on Raw small only not jpeg&Raw. Turn off Noise reduction, disable highlight priority or any other taxing settings. Overheating shouldnt be a problem I have ran the camera in 100 degree weather and recorded 1080p fine. If you have to shoot at 1800x? then upscale. Also just because its the latest build doesn't mean its the most stable Alex Raw modules are still more stable than MLV.

Puppinello

Tnx for answer!
I didn't try SD card and I think I would not. SD card on Canon 5Dm3 has limited speed. And according to benchmark my CF Lexar can write 110 Mb/s. It's good enough for to record 1080p 25 fps. I really think that CF card is not matter of broken (black) MLV. My other clips are OK. And of course I have read the settings guide many times.  ;) And sure all the settings you mentioned are correct. So... Anyway thank you!  :)
May be my partially bad experience will be helpful for developers. I know that it is most difficult to fix floating errors. It may occur or maybe not.

Danne

You have a setting in the menu which sets blacklevel one way or the other. Think it,s under raw-menu

Puppinello

Yeap! Thanks! Got it! May be it will be useful to others