MLV -> DAVINCI -> AVID help!

Started by actingnurse, June 10, 2014, 06:06:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

actingnurse

Hi Everyone...
I'm pretty much a newb to the RAW format. I've been working with the 5DM2 and 3's H.264 files for a few years, but wanted to make the jump to RAW.

Mainly this is a settings question...

I shot a few test files in MLV with audio for reference.

I used MLV Mystic to break it into CineDNG and the WAV file.

I tried brought it into DaVinci Lite 10.1.5 - did grading there, exported the clip to Avid and that's where I ran into issues... it didn't find the file...

My friend said that it's very picky with the settings to be able to go from Davinci to Avid via a DNxHD file then back to DaVinci for final grading and keeping everything on the RAW file.

I've always used Premiere and Speedgrade in the past so Avid and Davinci are fairly overwhelming. Does anyone have a good article that gives  a detailed step-by-step for this workflow or could someone mind breaking it down for me? My main thing is making sure my settings are right and going from there. Any help is greatly appreciated. I plan on shooting my next short in the spring totally through MLV Raw files so need to get all of these bugs knocked out in the meantime.

Kharak

I think your problem is AVID... Hate that program so much

AVID is oldschool, do you know how to properly import files?

I don't remember how, but think you need to "tell" AVID that you are searching for DNxHD.
once you go raw you never go back

Braga

Actually the Davinci-Avid round trip is easy and straight forward. You have to use AAF

http://wolfcrow.com/blog/the-avid-to-resolve-workflow/

Good luck my friend! 
Making Magic 550D
EFP/ENG Photog/Editor

actingnurse

I've seriously been considering sticking with Adobe flow. So It'd be something like:

MLV Mystic - break into DNG with WAV file
Open all DNG files with Adobe Camera Raw - Select all to make the changes universal on each frame of that clip (making sure I understand this correctly).

Not sure how to get from ACR to After Effects for grading...

Once I'm in AE - Drop VisionLOG - Grade (maybe drop a LUT?)

Export to Premiere from AE for cutting?

Is this the right workflow? Again - I apologize. I'm pretty new to RAW/MLV.