Problem importing XML from Resolve into FCPX

Started by clarence b, June 13, 2014, 10:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clarence b

Hi,

I'm trying to complete a roundtrip offline RAW workflow between Resolve 10.1 and FCPX 10.1 but the XML that Resolve is generating is not importing properly into FCPX. I repeatedly get an error log that reads "the item is not on an edit frame boundary." I'm working with raw CDNG files from a 5D Mark III.

I'm working on a 23.976 timeline and everything appears to be set up correctly in Resolve. It exports the ProRes files and the XML file. The clips are exported correctly, and appear in a new Event and a Project is created, but the project settings have changed from "1920 x 818" to "1280 x 720" and the frame rate has changed from 23.976 to 60p. These settings cannot subsequently be modified in the project settings. I can see the new timeline but it doesn't play normally. I think it might have something to do with a framerate mismatch or timecode problem from the raw files, but I'm not sure, I've checked everything I can think of. Incidentally, the other side of the workflow (exporting XML from FCPX to Resolve) works just fine. Any ideas?

reddeercity

Hey I had the same problem too! but I was going from fcpx 10.1.1 with Cdng's imported and made in to compound clips ,
but resolve has no idea what to do with compound clips and import them as a black clip (no image but right length) rebuild the time line Ok, but all basic
fades and transitions where all missed up. Then exported the Resolve XML, and the same thing 1080p files are all 720p 60 and made 10 copies of each source file
but @ 720p 60 ??? So when I open the XML from resolve I ended up with 90 QT files instead of 9. The files generated are ProRes 4444 not proxies .
So until the New Resolve 11 is out this is a bad workflow, I used 10.1.5 on the Mac. In the end I had to re-import may files , what a Pain  :(

clarence b

Yeah, it appears to be some kind of bug in the way Resolve is handling the CDNG files from the 5D3.   The Resolve generated XMLs import fine when dealing with h.264 files.  Oddly, other people seem to be having no problems with this same roundtrip workflow between FCPX and Resolve:

Import CDNGs into Resolve >
Export Proxies and XML>
Import XML and proxies into FCPX >
Edit> export XML >
Import XML into Resolve > uncheck "Automatically import source clips" >
Color correct RAW CDNGs >export XML >
Import XML into FCPX for finishing

Not sure what the deal is. The workflow seems to be fine in Premiere too, as outlined in this tutorial. . . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jASBwVSOlXk