Atomos Ninja 2 for RAW playback

Started by Susteren, June 06, 2014, 10:01:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Susteren

Hello,

I would like to playback my recorded video on shoots, so I wonder if I can buy a Ninja and record the scene externally while my 5d mark III records the RAW footage internally.

Furthermore I wonder if I can still use the rec command whith the Magic Lantern raw firmware so it records automaticly on the 5d and I don't need to push record on the 5d and the Ninja.

Thank you so much!

Midphase

I wonder if you can use the Search function to find the answer to a question that has been asked only a gazillion times before?

reddeercity

Quote from: Susteren on June 06, 2014, 10:01:15 AM
Hello,
I would like to playback my recorded video on shoots, so I wonder if I can buy a Ninja and record the scene externally while my 5d mark III records the RAW footage internally.
Furthermore I wonder if I can still use the rec command whith the Magic Lantern raw firmware so it records automaticly on the 5d and I don't need to push record on the 5d and the Ninja.
Thank you so much!
As far as I know with the 5D3 there should not be a problem, It's works with 5D2. But the "rec-command" is only a H264 side of things.
Not supported with Raw Video. So you have to push both buttons, I start my ninja, and let it capture one to two minutes before I record raw,
at least when I do interviews  ;)

Susteren

Are you sure? It would be great though, the rec command in combination with raw video. :P

basil

Quote from: Susteren on June 06, 2014, 10:01:15 AM
Thank you so much!

Yes, with 1.2.3 firmware you can record Prores (lt, 422, hq) on the Ninja 2 or similar, while still recording RAW on the CF card internally.   Note:  You have to start both the camera and the recorder manually at this point.     My intention for the Ninja2 is mainly for playback during commercial shoots, but it can also act as a video backup if using 422 or 422HQ.   Just make sure that your Picture Profile (ie. technicolor cinestyle) is set correctly in that case.     However, if you ever plan on using the Ninja2 recordings for offline edit, then you will have to constantly use a Slate to keep track.    This is not ideal—better to use proxy from the RAW.          Essentially it is an insurance policy, and confirmation tool IMO. 

I have only tried it a couple of times, with no problem.   However, I haven't gone through the process of Pixel peeping the Ninja2 footage to compare to the RAW.   But I may try in the future.

Side note:   When shooting RAW it sometimes helps to increase the contrast and sharpening in the profile settings, so that it is easier to focus.   But don't do this if you want to have a backup option on the NINJA2.

Lastly, make sure that your hdmi framerate is synced on both the 5Dmk3 and the Recorder.   

Steven

I just recorded some footage to a hyper deck shuttle 2 and have some odd playback experience. HDMI framerate was set to auto. While playing back the prores files on a computer it seems to be played back quite fast, although the players recognize the material as 25p, what I intended to record.
The beep from rec start stop gets sent through hdmi, maybe that helps for syncing.

stevethornton

"HDMI framerate was set to auto"

You need to set the frame rate to 24 or 60, never Auto.

ST