[WONTFIX] Crop 2160i (interlaced, at 30 fields per second)

Started by Leon, July 07, 2012, 01:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

Hello Alex.  Thanks for the improvements so far!

1)  Firstly, is Crop 1080p going to make an appearance any time soon?  This would be super-useful at times to avoid moiré and aliasing (as well as the option of extra zoom) - just shoot the scene using a wide-angle lens but at a 3x crop factor (or 4.8x for already 1.6x crop-frame sensors) to avoid aliasing.

2)  Is it possible to choose which lines of the sensor are selected to be encoded to make up the 1080p?  If so, could the group of lines be alternated between each "frame" so that they actually become fields of an interlaced video?  (The idea is to reduce/eliminate aliasing and moiré.)  These fields could then be deinterlaced into frames on a PC, using an existing high quality deinterlacing algorithm.

And it could use just the centre two-thirds (2160 lines, or twice whatever is actually currently) of the sensor, perhaps with the option of still using the full width, producing a 2.35 aspect ratio.  This would create a slight crop factor but reduce/eliminate aliasing and moiré.

3)  I have read that the crop-frame sensors actually only capture 1720x974 and upscale it to 1920x1080 before encoding.  Is this true, and is development any nearer allowing encoding at this native resolution without upscaling (which presumably hurts quality)?

If this is difficult to do as a video, I wonder if 24 "silent images" at 1720x974 could be recorded to the card every second along with audio?  In terms of megapixels 24 x 1720x974 is only equivalent to 2.2 x 18MP per second.  I could cope with each video being a list of thousands of JPEG files.

Many thanks!   I have donated  :)

a1ex

Thanks, but the answer to all your questions is no.