Benefits of using viewfinder on dslr

Started by johnny5d, June 03, 2014, 02:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnny5d

Hi all just a little question.
Does the use of a lcd viewfinder like zacuto Z give me more stability when shooting video? I was looking at the zacuto z JR.

Kind regards Johnny

jimmyD30

Yes, I use a viewfinder and love it, moreso to better see the LCD screen in bright daylight conditions than for stability and it also helps with focusing as it's close to 3x magnification.

garry23

Although I'm not a videographer, I use the Compact HoodLoupe model CH32, which collapses to 50% of its original size to save space, with all my ML workflow.

With 'old eyes' the CH32 allows me to clearly see the ML menus in bright sun, and achieve critical focus via the LCD.

As I say, this is from a photographer's perspective.

johnny5d

I just bought a Cineroid CL3 viewfinder.... I cant affort a Zacuto-z yet.

But the downside is that I have to stick the frame of the loop to my LCD with doubleside tape!..
Is it possible to take off this sticked frame whitout damage the LCD? in case I dicide to take it of.

Hope to hear from you

jimmyD30

Quote from: johnny5d on June 04, 2014, 09:23:00 AM
I just bought a Cineroid CL3 viewfinder.... I cant affort a Zacuto-z yet.

But the downside is that I have to stick the frame of the loop to my LCD with doubleside tape!..
Is it possible to take off this sticked frame whitout damage the LCD? in case I dicide to take it of.

Hope to hear from you

Yes, it comes off, just use a hair dryer on low heat to warm up the glue a little bit and take you time and start by lifting up one corner and still using a little heat work your way around the whole frame.

johnny5d

jimmyD30

Additionally, I aim the hair dryer/heat gun mostly parallel to the LCD (like 30 degrees from horizontal), not perpendicular, so the heat focuses more on the surface rather than penatrating into the camera, just for extra safety.

johnny5d

Thank you...

I received my cinedroid viewfinder. And have to say it need some practice! Its also pretty heavy the overall waight. 5d mkii with the ntg-2 and irig pre and the viewfinder!

I was looking for a compact setup. A rig is to big to carry around I think and the viewfinder will give me a bit more stability.

I am planning on shooting a movie/short/reel about " portrait of a kickboxer " A young champion he is only 17 years.
Can some one give me some tips on storytelling or the phases in telling a story?

Kind regards,

Johnny