Compiling on a Mac

Started by scrax, June 14, 2012, 10:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scrax

Hi, finally I've managed to compile ML some week ago with the help of a1ex and cout's guide.
mi page about it is on the wiki here: http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Magic_Lantern_on_a_Mac_(with_homebrew)
After that I've started to write a script like prepare.ubuntu.sh for Lion and now i'm testing it on a fresh install.

I'll post more info is somebody is interested in extending it, we can merge it with prepare.ubuntu and add more options.

Since some advanced feat are hard to use without an appropriate setup for each Os I was thinking in a script to prepare all things needed automatically and another suite of scripts to have a mac workflow that manage pics with scripts from downloading to conversion, merginhdr etc, all automatic. For start i'll use also Lightroom and Photoshop if needed in the workflow because I use them, but an open source solution is preferred (also for adapting it to linux) in the long run.

so If someone is interessed in helping me working on this project post your suggestion here, i'll comment my script and post it here when ready.
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

bart

Hi Scrax,

I'll try to make a list of fresh project initiatives and add that to the community list. The links there point to the right threads in the forum. I'm not changing to much on the site until we know if it will hold the amount of visitors and keep a decent webexperience.

scrax

Good, thanks.
I'm opening some topics to start discussions for now.
I'll also open a dedicated topic for submitting and works on scripts and similar if needed.

I believe in this project and I think it will be a good thing for ML, not a php expert but I've installed and administered smf/joomla for a little community project for some years so if I can help for something just ask.

EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

coutts

Good work! I will use this in the future if it is completed / works (I develop from my macbook pro w/ Lion). A couple things to remember:

- latest version of ipython will not work, you must revert to an older version.
- i think the same case with sympy.

scrax

Hi Coutts, first thanks for your guide on the wiki, it was fondamental for me to install all the things nedded.

Here is the link to what I have now: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/123918/MagicLantern/prepare.Lion.sh
I'm using pip and brew to install most of the dependencies because macports was giving me errors when compiling some stuff.

For now It will check and install if needed homebrew and pip, then there are two install list.
The first one (default) is for all mac user and will install only PIL, numpy, mplayer, imagemagick and enfuse for converting HDR photo and video, focus stacks and 422 (silent pics) file.
The second one (selectable using the option "prepare.Lion.sh dev" or d instead of dev) will install also libusb, binutils, gmp, mpfr, libmpc, mercurial, wget, ufraw, mplayer, poppler, matplotlib, docutils, pandoc and if not found MacTex (it will try to find with spotlight an installer on the mac before downloading it)
other options are remove or r to uninstall all that pip and brew installed, and help or h to see a quick help on this options

what about documentations? Can you compile it from mac? I've installed all what was needed but once compiled it's wrong.

coutts

Quote from: scrax on June 18, 2012, 05:42:11 PM
Hi Coutts, first thanks for your guide on the wiki, it was fondamental for me to install all the things nedded.

Here is the link to what I have now: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/123918/MagicLantern/prepare.Lion.sh
I'm using pip and brew to install most of the dependencies because macports was giving me errors when compiling some stuff.

For now It will check and install if needed homebrew and pip, then there are two install list.
The first one (default) is for all mac user and will install only PIL, numpy, mplayer, imagemagick and enfuse for converting HDR photo and video, focus stacks and 422 (silent pics) file.
The second one (selectable using the option "prepare.Lion.sh dev" or d instead of dev) will install also libusb, binutils, gmp, mpfr, libmpc, mercurial, wget, ufraw, mplayer, poppler, matplotlib, docutils, pandoc and if not found MacTex (it will try to find with spotlight an installer on the mac before downloading it)
other options are remove or r to uninstall all that pip and brew installed, and help or h to see a quick help on this options

what about documentations? Can you compile it from mac? I've installed all what was needed but once compiled it's wrong.
compiling is easy :) all you need to do is install Yagarto. It's a precompiled toolchain, just unzip it and add it to your path. That's all you need to compile ML, the other stuff is for installing the ARM Console.

http://www.yagarto.de/#downloadmac

scrax

I've already installed the arm toolchain, so I can skip Yagarto, i've used the summon-arm script because yagarto was not working the first time I tried with SnowLeopard times ago and on the site they say it's not more supported so if it failed on SL I supposed also Lion will be a problem...

All the other things for the Arm console are almost all python package, i've installed them from source, but only at the end I found that they were not required to compile ML. :P

But I want to try the arm console so I'll check what is missing and post back, and when done will add it to the script.

coutts

Quote from: scrax on June 19, 2012, 05:35:02 AM
I've already installed the arm toolchain, so I can skip Yagarto, i've used the summon-arm script because yagarto was not working the first time I tried with SnowLeopard times ago and on the site they say it's not more supported so if it failed on SL I supposed also Lion will be a problem...

All the other things for the Arm console are almost all python package, i've installed them from source, but only at the end I found that they were not required to compile ML. :P

But I want to try the arm console so I'll check what is missing and post back, and when done will add it to the script.
One thing I remember when installing the console prereqs, easygui 404s with easy_install, so you need to install it manually:
http://easygui.sourceforge.net/download/version_0.96/index.html

scrax

scrax

by the way with last pull can compile doc and zip fine.
An a lot of warning gone... :)

thanks Maz, a1ex and all involved :)

before trying the arm-console MLTools needs to be worked a little more, any help appreciated.

scrax

Coutts, check out next MLTools, i've added all things missing for installing arm-consolle using pip or by source.
Not yet tested if arm-console works, but installation went fine.
graphviz and gfortran was also needed.

scrax

Ok, today i've started for the first time ARM-console and it worked, i think. It started :D
but I have no clue how to use it, so for now tis could help how what to set up all things for ML.
I'll wrap it into an app an test it again in the next days.
added also git for downloading the arm-console.

scrax

Is just me when compiling having this messages?:

[ CC       ]   menuindex.o
In file included from ../../src/menuindex.c:67:0:
../../src/menuindexentries.h:6:17: warning: unknown escape sequence: '\l' [enabled by default]
../../src/menuindexentries.h:6:17: warning: unknown escape sequence: '\l' [enabled by default]
../../src/menuindexentries.h:6:17: warning: unknown escape sequence: '\@' [enabled by default]
../../src/menuindexentries.h:6:17: warning: unknown escape sequence: '\p' [enabled by default]
In file included from ../../src/menuindex.c:67:0:
../../src/menuindexentries.h:7:17: warning: unknown escape sequence: '\l' [enabled by default]
../../src/menuindexentries.h:7:17: warning: unknown escape sequence: '\l' [enabled by default]
../../src/menuindexentries.h:7:17: warning: unknown escape sequence: '\@' [enabled by default]
../../src/menuindexentries.h:7:17: warning: unknown escape sequence: '\p' [enabled by default]
../../src/menuindexentries.h:13:17: warning: unknown escape sequence: '\l' [enabled by default]
../../src/menuindexentries.h:13:17: warning: unknown escape sequence: '\l' [enabled by default]
../../src/menuindexentries.h:13:17: warning: unknown escape sequence: '\@' [enabled by default]
../../src/menuindexentries.h:13:17: warning: unknown escape sequence: '\p' [enabled by default]
../../src/menuindexentries.h:14:17: warning: unknown escape sequence: '\l' [enabled by default]
../../src/menuindexentries.h:14:17: warning: unknown escape sequence: '\l' [enabled by default]
../../src/menuindexentries.h:14:17: warning: unknown escape sequence: '\@' [enabled by default]
../../src/menuindexentries.h:14:17: warning: unknown escape sequence: '\p' [enabled by default]
../../src/menuindexentries.h:20:17: warning: unknown escape sequence: '\l' [enabled by default]
../../src/menuindexentries.h:20:17: warning: unknown escape sequence: '\l' [enabled by default]
../../src/menuindexentries.h:20:17: warning: unknown escape sequence: '\@' [enabled by default]
../../src/menuindexentries.h:20:17: warning: unknown escape sequence: '\p' [enabled by default]
../../src/menuindexentries.h:21:17: warning: unknown escape sequence: '\l' [enabled by default]
../../src/menuindexentries.h:21:17: warning: unknown escape sequence: '\l' [enabled by default]
../../src/menuindexentries.h:21:17: warning: unknown escape sequence: '\@' [enabled by default]
../../src/menuindexentries.h:21:17: warning: unknown escape sequence: '\p' [enabled by default]
../../src/menuindexentries.h:27:17: warning: unknown escape sequence: '\l' [enabled by default]
../../src/menuindexentries.h:27:17: warning: unknown escape sequence: '\l' [enabled by default]
../../src/menuindexentries.h:27:17: warning: unknown escape sequence: '\@' [enabled by default]
../../src/menuindexentries.h:27:17: warning: unknown escape sequence: '\p' [enabled by default]
../../src/menuindexentries.h:28:17: warning: unknown escape sequence: '\l' [enabled by default]
../../src/menuindexentries.h:28:17: warning: unknown escape sequence: '\l' [enabled by default]
../../src/menuindexentries.h:28:17: warning: unknown escape sequence: '\@' [enabled by default]
../../src/menuindexentries.h:28:17: warning: unknown escape sequence: '\p' [enabled by default]
../../src/menuindexentries.h:34:17: warning: unknown escape sequence: '\l' [enabled by default]
../../src/menuindexentries.h:34:17: warning: unknown escape sequence: '\l' [enabled by default]
../../src/menuindexentries.h:34:17: warning: unknown escape sequence: '\@' [enabled by default]
../../src/menuindexentries.h:34:17: warning: unknown escape sequence: '\p' [enabled by default]
../../src/menuindexentries.h:35:17: warning: unknown escape sequence: '\l' [enabled by default]
../../src/menuindexentries.h:35:17: warning: unknown escape sequence: '\l' [enabled by default]
../../src/menuindexentries.h:35:17: warning: unknown escape sequence: '\@' [enabled by default]
../../src/menuindexentries.h:35:17: warning: unknown escape sequence: '\p' [enabled by default]
../../src/menuindexentries.h:41:17: warning: unknown escape sequence: '\l' [enabled by default]
../../src/menuindexentries.h:41:17: warning: unknown escape sequence: '\l' [enabled by default]
../../src/menuindexentries.h:41:17: warning: unknown escape sequence: '\@' [enabled by default]
../../src/menuindexentries.h:41:17: warning: unknown escape sequence: '\p' [enabled by default]
../../src/menuindexentries.h:42:17: warning: unknown escape sequence: '\l' [enabled by default]
../../src/menuindexentries.h:42:17: warning: unknown escape sequence: '\l' [enabled by default]
../../src/menuindexentries.h:42:17: warning: unknown escape sequence: '\@' [enabled by default]
../../src/menuindexentries.h:42:17: warning: unknown escape sequence: '\p' [enabled by default]
../../src/menuindexentries.h:48:17: warning: unknown escape sequence: '\l' [enabled by default]
../../src/menuindexentries.h:48:17: warning: unknown escape sequence: '\l' [enabled by default]
../../src/menuindexentries.h:48:17: warning: unknown escape sequence: '\@' [enabled by default]
../../src/menuindexentries.h:48:17: warning: unknown escape sequence: '\p' [enabled by default]
../../src/menuindexentries.h:49:17: warning: unknown escape sequence: '\l' [enabled by default]
../../src/menuindexentries.h:49:17: warning: unknown escape sequence: '\l' [enabled by default]
../../src/menuindexentries.h:49:17: warning: unknown escape sequence: '\@' [enabled by default]
../../src/menuindexentries.h:49:17: warning: unknown escape sequence: '\p' [enabled by default]

also after this morning commits (no more other warnings)?

a1ex

It's some problem with building the docs. Not sure what causes it, but I think it can be safely ignored.

rktaylor

I've been a user of ML for about a year now and would like to try to compile the source code.  I'm knowledgeable with computers (Mac & Windows network administrator) but have never tried to compile something and willing to learn.  Can someone (if possible) list out the steps with necessary software using my Mac from downloading (I believe I saw what I need in an earlier post) to the steps necessary to compile ML.

Thanks in advance.
6D | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 | EF 50 f/1.4 | EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 | Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L

Francis

Follow these instructions step by step you should have no problems.

scrax

or you can try/test MLTools a script I use to prepare the toolchain and compile ML. If you are interested I'll post last version.

Also instead of Xtools you can install only command line tools (200MB instead of 1,3GB nearly) like suggested here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=1019.msg1584#msg1584

(added link to coutt's guide in the first topic)

rktaylor

Quote from: Francis on July 06, 2012, 04:11:32 AM
Follow these instructions step by step you should have no problems.

I've followed the steps as listed but I don't fully understand when I get to the makefile.  I added the commands as listed to my make file (download from the current source on ML) just after the first remark.  Ran make clean and after the 550D it says command not found.  My path I believe is step up correctly since I ran the tests as described with successful responses.

I guess my question is what is the make command line to compile since I believe I have all of the necessary programs installed.

Thanks
6D | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 | EF 50 f/1.4 | EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 | Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L