finding music befor shooting?

Started by johnny5d, June 01, 2014, 11:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnny5d

Hi all,

A question.. when planning on making a short video. Do you need to have and or find music for the video first or after!?

When making a video you need to have a plan I know. Does it also need to have the music first?

ItsMeLenny

I think most people find the music after, unless they are shooting a music video :P
But then again, I knew someone who shot a music video and didn't even have the music yet.
You may have a piece of music in mind you want to use, and you may want to match the atmosphere of that music,
also if you're trying to match the music exactly, then you'd want it before, but again that's a music video.

I think everybody finds it after, and if you need things in your video to happen on certain beats you can cut
your video to match the beats (clashes of symbols, cuts in time to the music). However, in saying that,
productions (usually with a little bit more of a budget) will have a composer that composes music to the cut
of the video/film.

I would say planning music before hand would restrict your shooting style, your actors acting,
your locations and sets, your whole story line. It would effect everything, because you are essentially
shooting a music video if you choose your music before hand. So unless you're doing a music video
or a musical, I would avoid it.

johnny5d

Thank you...

Yes sometime I hear a melody and then I see/visualize amazing storys/video opportunities in my mind...
Sounds crazy maybe!

Thanks for your advance!

ItsMeLenny

Also, there are no rules, so do it which ever way you want to be able to display what you want.