• Image quality
  • Moire
  • Raw video vs 4K photo
Lenses:
5D3: Canon 85mm 1.8 full frame
50D: Canon 50mm 1.8 aps-c
Anamorphic Kowa prominar 8z

Magic Lantern V1.2.3 build 2014-05-23

Conclusion: image quality of 5D is much better than 50D, but the 50D is holding up quite well and will do very good as 2nd cam. As the 50D is now around 350,- on 2nd hand market, this is the ideal camera to start with when you want to shoot raw. The next interesting part is the comparison with a 4K photo: the raw video is holding quite well against the sharper photo, see the shots in 300% to see the difference.

How is it tested:
Canon 5D and 50D fixed on one "rig". Anamorphic lens screwed on 50mm or 85mm lens for widescreen cinema look. In ML the old RAW format is used, MLV is not yet stable. CF cardL 64GB Komputerbay.

In post:
Raw magic
Davinci resolve
FCP-X

Resolution used for Anamorphic shooting:
Select in camera: 1536 x 1290, then in post go to Clip Attributes in Resolve and select scope, this way the 2x anamorphic will be corrected to widescreen/cinemascope. Then in project you can choose whatever resolution you want, just normal 1080p or custom. In this video it is upscaled to 4K, to compare raw video with 4k photo in the end.

ItsMeLenny

Seems like a pretty fair test, and there's not really any surprise that a 5dmk3 is better than a 50d.
However, there is the variable of the lens, if one lens causes more chromatic aberration than the other.
But as they are both canon lenses they should be built the same for most part.

handbanana

Great test! I bought a 50D for RAW video and while it looks very similar in image quality to the 5Dmk2 (i coulnt tell them apart when cut together), the moire and line skipping do make a difference when comparing it to the 5Dmk3. While not as huge as the leap from h264 to RAW video, I think I still want a Mark3 after watching this video >_<

Thanks for the comparison!

ShootMeAlready

Actually Moire should be worse with longer focal length.  I have had horrible CA with the canon 85mm 1.8 on my 70D, shooting high contrast (headlights in the dark).
But I did not see any moire on the 5D, and I looked closely at the hydro wires.  The 5D wider sensor just seem to be more inky and have more colour depth captured.

I think for now I will play with my 600D, and raw for learning experience, but if I were shooting a film in raw, the 5D MIII is the camera. 
BTW: 600D, anamorphic with MLV raw, permitted me 1152x482 continuous in raw with dual ISO increased EV. That's 60% of 1920 anamophic image. 
If I want to play around with lower fps and interpolate in AE, I can get a higher resolution.   

I think what would be interesting is dual iso raw on the 50D, to see if it can be more inky in luminance.  Colour correction a bit heavier to improve colour depth/saturation.
Also try shooting with 100ISO, and say f/1.4 on the 50mm.  Low ISO helps reduce aps-c noise.  I know you will say its not a fair comparison,
but its more about seeing how close one can come with a 50D to match the superior 5D raw performance.  JMHO.
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

Levas

If you like, I would like to do some postproces test on a raw DNG from the sequence that starts about at 2:20.
Can you share somewhere (google drive perhaps ?) a raw DNG from the 5d3 sequence that is at 2:20 in your video (the trees and power lines) ?

I think I can pul some more detail out of the 5d3 raw DNG than shown in this video  :D
(I will share the resulting TIFF on my google drive, so you can compare with your video or the 4k image in the video)

nikki

is there any more tests 4k photo vs raw