5DM3 RAW recording - pink horizontal stripes - please HELP..

Started by Kuba, November 03, 2013, 08:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kuba

Sorry for my bad English.. I'm new to the ML and the RAW video.. Many thanks to the ML team, incredible what you've done and been doing, guys!!

Now to my problem: using the RAW module on my 5DM3 (running the Nov 3 build) and recording onto 128GB Komputerbay 1050x CF card. At very irregular intervals I get pink horizontal stripes, affecting 1 or 2 (neighbouring) frames.

See the .DNG files with the affected frames:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kwhlpr8hzsubnsb/1-Wpzwg5d0

Is it the sensor, CF card recording or ML issue?

This only happens when I'm recording the RAW video, at various resolutions and frame rates - 1920x1080 24/25p, 1920x818 24/25p, 960x408 24/25p. When recording the "Canon" MP4 video, I do not experience this problem.

Any of you, guys, have experienced this? Thanks a lot for your suggestions!!!

Kuba

CinematicSyndicate

Wow, that is quite the pattern. Never seen this before. Is there any correlation to when or where you are using the camera (e.g. certain environments or modes)?

The EOSHD guide to RAW5D3 states that he's had issues with Komputerbay cards before. Have you replicated the issue on other cards? Does this ever occur with RAW stills? Any other issues with the camera before?

Kuba

Hi CinematicSyndicate! Thanks a lot for your input!

I don't think there is any correlation to when/where the camera is used. The footage was taken in "usual shooting environment" (room temperature, standard humidity, standard operating temperature of the camera/sensor so the sensor was not overheated as I had also thought at first). The problem occurs EVERYTIME I shoot RAW video, so not just sometimes. When taking RAW stills this issue does not occur - it's just in the RAW video mode. I have used only one 128GB 1050x Komputerbay CF card so far as I just wanted to give a try to this manufacturer/model, I cannot compare with other cards then. I've had no other issues with the camera - it operates fine when shooting in the "Canon MP4" mode.

I'm also posting two benchmark test results of my CF card:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5duzfrupkmze4ik/HwQ01qh4Rm

Based on your experience, would you suggest that my 128GB 1050x Komputerbay CF card is simply too slow to record RAW video?? I do not get any drop-outs, it's "just" the presence of the pink stripes :'(

Many thanks!

Kuba

ted ramasola

how did you install ML on this 128 card?

Is this a new install of ML, like when you just opened the CF card and then installed the NOV 3 version on it? Or did you have an older version of ML before and updated to new version?

Try it with another CF card if you have the same issue.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

Kuba

Hi Ted!

I'm running ML from a 64GB SD card, the 128GB CF card was formatted in camera and is always empty for RAW recording.

I did not install the v2.3 stable release first as I had seen the 5DM3 is not listed as a supported camera. I installed a nightly build onto an 8GB SD card first and then on this 64GB card which I have in camera together with the 128GB 1050x KB CF card.

I have tested a couple of nightly builds but the ML always seems to work fine. However, when I get to recording RAW video, I have this issue.

Based on my benchmark results, would you say that my CF card is OK for the speed or should I contact the Komputerbay tech support and ask for replacement?

Thanks!

CinematicSyndicate

In the EOSHD RAW 5D3 guide by Andrew Reid (which I HIGHLY SUGGEST you all purchase, as it covers most of the questions I see here on the forum) he spends a whole chapter on which CF cards are most suitable for RAW capture. He notes that Komputerbay uses "quality-control rejected" memory, resulting in inconsistent write speeds which can vary up to 50%!

I would wager that their memory also has block errors in it from time to time, which may not cause problems for regular applications, but RAW shooting as we all know is one of the most intensive things you can do on a CF card at this time. Reid also writes that while he's had "OK" performance with Komputerbay 64gb cards, the 128's are troublesome and consistently slower than the 64's. I would send the card back for replacement, and invest in a Lexar 1000x 64gb. That's the most consistently tested and performing card out there according to the guide. I don't wanna go into too much more detail because I'd be quoting the guide too much and Andrew Reid deserves our support just as the ML team does.

Speaking of which, you can get his guide at http://eoshd.com.

ted ramasola

Quote from: Kuba on November 04, 2013, 08:57:43 PM
Hi Ted!

I'm running ML from a 64GB SD card, the 128GB CF card was formatted in camera and is always empty for RAW recording.

I did not install the v2.3 stable release first as I had seen the 5DM3 is not listed as a supported camera. I installed a nightly build onto an 8GB SD card first and then on this 64GB card which I have in camera together with the 128GB 1050x KB CF card.

I have tested a couple of nightly builds but the ML always seems to work fine. However, when I get to recording RAW video, I have this issue.

Based on my benchmark results, would you say that my CF card is OK for the speed or should I contact the Komputerbay tech support and ask for replacement?

Thanks!

Try to do a test on another CF card if you are getting the same frame corruption.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

Kuba

Thank you both, Ted and CinematicSyndicate, for your replies!

Unfortunatelly, I cannot do any more testing because BOTH of my Komputerbay 128GB 1050x CF cards (and I do not have any more cards as I hoped two 128GB CFs would be sufficient to start with) cannot be read/formatted now.

After having copied the RAW files to the computer using a true USB 3.0 UDMA7 card reader and successfully ejecting the CF card, the card cannot be formatted, neither in the sdformatter (as the Komputerbay TechSupport team suggested me) nor in the Disk Utility of my Mac OS, nor in camera. My 5DM3 won't record to the card as it says that no CF is detected.

I've found out that I'm not the only one with these corrupted frames as it seems I'm having the same issue as another ML user, see the link http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8412.0.

5D3shooter

I have a hoodman steel CF card, it's very expensive, but I've never had any issues EVER.
I believe the Lexar cards are just as good and a little cheaper so go with either and you will be fine.

The Komputer Bay cards are a great value and a lot of people use them without problems, but you know the old saying: "you get what you pay for", and with video production the last thing you want is to get home and find that all your footage is corrupted.

RenatoPhoto

I have read so many problems with  Komputerbay that I will not buy them.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

pobox

I am having the same issue with my 5d3 running on 123 with 16th of april build.

I am getting pink lines every now and then in almost every shot. yesterday it all worked fine with the same cards, no settings have changed.

I am using kb 64gb 1066x and 256gb 1066x.

Did anyone find an answer for the pink stripes?