Clarification of installing a build on a 1.2.3 5D mk III

Started by tladamson, June 01, 2014, 03:24:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tladamson

Hi all,

So like - I'm sure - many others, I must admit I'm a little hesitant to install magic lantern on my $3000 5D mk III. However I've never really heard of anyone completely screwing over their camera which does make me a lot more hopeful. Anyway, on to the actual question.

So I'm a little confused as to the whole nightly build vs. stable release thing, are there in betweens? That is to say, are there say monthly builds that feature the most stable nightly build of that month or something of the sort? I'd like to shoot raw on my 1.2.3 firmware camera, but I don't know if I'd be willing to use the absolute latest, mostly untested build to do it so does anyone have any recommendations on where to start?

Thanks!

redaber

i'm the exact same boat as you do...

i want tested firmware which is 1.1.3 but it has the bootflag issue.

and i also want the bootflag issue to be solved but 1.2.3 is not (fully) stable i think

:( the struggle

Walter Schulz

You can upgrade Canon's firmware to 1.2.3, install bootflag just by running firmware update with ML-FIR file version 1.2.3, downgrade cam's firmware to 1.1.3, format your card and go on like described for 1.1.3. Just skip the firmware part.
If you want to get rid of cam's bootflag, just upgrade to 1.2.3 and run firmware update with ML-FIR again, waiting 30 secs to remove bootflag on it's own.

And 1.1.3 isn't stable either ...

redaber

Stedda

Quote from: redaber on June 01, 2014, 09:38:00 PM
its more stable than 1.2.3 right :)?

Nope

Just look at the change log most changes affect both versions....
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

Walter Schulz

Redaber, it's time for a break about all that fuss you have with stable/unstable/tested/untested. If you want to find out jump into the water. Or simply stand back. But please stop asking if the water is cold or not and about the sharks, alligators, copperheads and amoebae and if your swimwear is out of style.

Q: Has ML 1.2.3 killed more or less 5D3s than ML 1.1.3
A: Yes!

Ciao
Walter (now playing R.E.M. "Nightswimming")

redaber

Im sorry to be such a nervous rat over this, its just that im scared as hell but i just got it installed and it works fine. also i thought ML never Bricked/Killed a camera before.
once again im sorry