Raw Video on 600D and Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB stopped automagically

Started by prsch, May 31, 2014, 09:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prsch

HI All,

I am new to the forum and want to thank you for developing such an amazing tool as Magic Lantern.

I am trying to get the raw video to work on my 600d. I am using it with a Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB 95/MBs and no matter the resolution I try it keeps on stopping recording äutomagically".

I understand it should be fine at 960 but it lasts no more than 4 secs and as well at 640 it hangs after 20 secs.

Can anyone help me to debug it?

All I did is install ML, the latest nightly build and load the RAW recording module. Is there any setting I have to specifically use to make it work?

Isn't my card suitable for Raw recording? I though it was one of the fastest when I bought it....

Thanks in advance for your help!

Regards,

Giacomo.

Walter Schulz

There are some faked Sandisk card around. If you have a decent USB 3.0 cardreader connect to an USB 3.0 port you should be able to use ATTO or CrystalDiskMark to determine if the card is faked or not.
About settings: Turn global draw off and try 960x540.

Ciao
Walter

Braga

Making Magic 550D
EFP/ENG Photog/Editor

prsch

HI Guys,

Thanks for the reply.

Will I be able to benchmark the card with my mac card reader?

FPS? I don't really know, I am using default settings... Where can I set them up? In the Magic Lantern panel or the canon one?

Regards,

Giacomo.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: prsch on June 01, 2014, 09:54:54 AMWill I be able to benchmark the card with my mac card reader?
Depends ...
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3553#4
If you have an older mac you will be stuck well below 40 MByte/s.

Benchmark programs for free are available for OS X, too.
https://static.aja.com/assets/software/AJA_SystemTest_Mac.zip

Audionut

Walter Schulz

prsch

Hi All,

Thanks again for the reply.

I will try to test the card. Effectively the camera icon is mainly red or yellow when I am recording so I suppose it is a transfer rate problem.
It sounds like that you are all pretty sure that the problems comes from the sandisk.
I find it pretty strange though, I have bought it from Amazon and the package was new and original.
BTW I understand that due to the hardware limitation of the 600D the transfer rate limit is around 21 MB so also if not at its best performance the card should be more than suitable for my needs...

Regards,

Giacomo.

prsch

Ok,

I have just used AJA System and I got a pretty good result I think:

60 mb write
90 mb reading

It sounds good to me but still can't get what is the problem. Maybe a format and following again the procedure will help...

prsch

Could it be the nightlie I am using?

Is there a suggested version?

I have picked up the last available.

prsch

New updated:

I realised I didn't force the 24 fps option. No with this on things have improved I get 28 secs continuous shooting but after that it keeps on stopping. Any suggestion?

prsch

Hi Again and again,

I hope there's someone who can help me.
I am now thinking if the card has to be formatted as exFat. Mine is Fat32. Could that be the reason?

Regards,

Giacomo.

Walter Schulz

ExFat vs FAT32 may matter if your data size is beyond 4 GByte.

prsch

Hi Walter,

Thanks for the reply.
So I guess exFat shouldn't be the reason of my problem.
Is there a guide on how to setup raw video recording on the 600d that you can suggest?

Kind Regards,

Giacomo.

prsch

Solved.

The camera was setup to shutdown automatically after 30 secs...

Bosnik

Did you disable sound recording? That drains a lot of information too!