is there an expected date for next stable release?

Started by bodhidharmazen, June 08, 2014, 02:35:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bodhidharmazen

Hello, first time posting here. I have been a Magic Lantern user for sometime, I paid for the last stable version just to get it a month or two before its free release! that's how hot Im for ML.

I don't have the big bucks for the latest and more powerful cameras, I own the T3i, and have been very happy because, thanks to ML, I can take better pictures than what the camera alone can, so, in a way, this allow me to take pictures that would only be possible for those with big bucks to pay for better cameras.

I have been reading about double ISO lately, and I have seen that even in the nightly builds its not working for the T3i (600d). I hope it will work, since apparently is working for the 550d, but then I have to ask, do I have to wait for a stable night build and risk it.. or it might be better to wait for the next stable version. So, my question is as the tittle, when can we expect the next stable release? its two years now from the mighty 2.3.

Thanks!

bodhidharmazen

oops... reading the facts, apparently this is a rude question  :(

well I hope is not considered rude, after all, it is a valid question, and (I was going to say me but I guess is everyone) all that is needed is an estimate, I don't have an idea of where to look for a hint, for example, maybe the night builds are getting more stable and a stable release is expected soon, or maybe the NB are still in very early development? Thanks.

Stedda

5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

bodhidharmazen

ok so shut up basically, nice welcome to the forums

Stedda

You got it!

Use the nightly builds like everyone else or sit and wait, quietly.
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

ItsMeLenny

It's especially 'rude' if you already asked it in the IRC channel,
not saying that you did personally, but lots of people ask in there and then ask in the forums.

a1ex

Somebody has to update the website. The latest FAQ reads:

As soon as you will provide us with clear and concise testing and bug reports for all ML features from the nightly builds.

I still discover features completely broken for months, and nobody reporting them, and I no longer have the time to test everything myself, like I used to do in the past years. Right now, if I'd simply sit down and try out every single menu option, I bet I'll find a bunch of things that are not working at all.

Besides, there are a lot of minor quirks that are very easy to fix (starting with menu typos). Some of them don't even require coding skills (only plain text editing skills, or pattern-matching skills, or just tutorial-following skills).

Quote from: a1ex on May 26, 2014, 07:56:36 PM
A better option is to start reading the sticky topics from the development area and code something easy, but useful. Once you have a serious question, there are many people around who can help (some recent examples here and here).

bodhidharmazen

NO STEDA I DIDNT GOT IT

It was very rude to receive someone new to the forums like this. I DID APOLOGIZE right after my first post, so no I was not an EXPERT in the forums before asking my very first question BIG MISTAKE...

I have paid for the ML, how many users have PAID????????????? but then, I get hammered just because some other naïve posters DARE to ask in the chat and then in the forums???

Whatever.

rpt

Quote from: bodhidharmazen on June 08, 2014, 04:41:59 PM
NO STEDA I DIDNT GOT IT

It was very rude to receive someone new to the forums like this. I DID APOLOGIZE right after my first post, so no I was not an EXPERT in the forums before asking my very first question BIG MISTAKE...

I have paid for the ML, how many users have PAID????????????? but then, I get hammered just because some other naïve posters DARE to ask in the chat and then in the forums???

Whatever.
Hi,

Let me say this straight.

• I have no intention of insulting you or any other member on this forum so please read the words for what they mean. There are no hidden meanings and no games being played here in this post.
  • These folks that build this fabulous software (ok, firmware...) do so on their personal time. Nobody pays them a salary. On top of that, they host a site (and that costs time and money), they answer questions, do research with no documentation from the manufacturer, and deliver fairly robust stuff.
  • Now this point is entirely my belief; that since their deliverables are not tied to revenue, they believe (and I share that belief) that sometimes artificial timelines force people to make unnecessary compromises. They do not do that. They take the time to discover things. Software takes time; especially when you are discovering in darkness - no documentation from the manufacturer. When they are seemingly not making any progress - meaning not delivering a YASR (Yet Another Stable Release) they are working on significant additions to functionality.
  • Now with the background set, I can come to the other point I wanted you to think of.
  • You said that you paid for it. I beg to differ. You, I, and many others donated money. All of us who donated money to keep this effort alive can not collectively buy out the effort - EVER!.

That is all I wanted to say. I trust that you will get a (fairly) stable release in time. Sorry, I cant give you a timeline either ;)

bodhidharmazen

rpt

THANK YOU for taking the time to write a proper, well educated answer. I do understand everything you said and I believe it is correct. That doesn't excuse this "steda" character in being such an obnoxious person, nor the administrator or whoever throw my post to the "duplicate questions" forum.

EVERY PERSON should be respected, not just developers, but supporters and enthusiasts as well.

Audionut

Quote from: bodhidharmazen on June 08, 2014, 06:34:39 PM
THANK YOU for taking the time to write a proper, well educated answer.

Now consider that a "proper, well educated answer", has been given to this same question, time, and time, again. 

The fact that it is in the FAQ, and your post got moved to the duplicate section, should be all of the hints required, that you are expected to use search to find detailed answers, instead of expecting personal support.

In "hacker" communities, expecting personal support for questions that have been asked, and answered, numerous times in the past, is considered disrespectful.  So you might want to slow down on your expectation of respect.  Show it first, and it will be given. 

Read this entire web page:  http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html