Quicktime export settings for editing on PC

Started by MrTodd, May 30, 2014, 06:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrTodd

Hi all

My PC Windows 7 workflow is this:

1.    MLV captured on 5Dii  (usually 1872 x 796 @ 2:35:1 ratio)    edited for correct frame size

2.    MLV converted to DNGs via MLV Mystic

3.    Import DNGs into Lightroom 4 to grade

4.    Export from Lightroom 4 as TIFFS/Jpegs

5.    Import as Image Sequence in Quicktime 7 Pro (PC non ProRes! )  to export image sequence as H.264 or other

6.    Import video files into Sony Vegas 10 to edit/cut and add audio

7.    Final render (and upscale to 1920 x 816) from Sony Vegas to master

8.    Upload to Vimeo

My main problem at the mo is with step 5 - outputing from Quicktime Pro to a suitable format for editing in Sony Vegas

Does anyone have any suggestions about what codec to use in Quicktime. I have been using H.264 @ 20000kbps and then editing in Vegas and then rendering out at another H.264 @ 20000kbps. However, I sometimes find alot of "mush" and lost detail by the time it ends up on Vimeo - I'm aware of the compression added on upload. I can't help but thinking I'm losing something somewhere in the workflow - the most obvious place to me is the Quicktime conversion H.264 @20000kbps conversion.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

ML developers are proper hardcore btw  ;)

Some Canon stuff and some other stuff too. You can't polish a turd but shit does wipe off.

jimmyD30

My first conversion of raw/dngs is to a lossless format, usually without audio, this would be as animation on Mac or avi with PC. I then use the lossless clip as a master for all other lower forms of renders.

Audionut

Skip step 5 altogether, and make sure the Tiffs have sequential naming.

In Vegas, choose file | import media, select the first image, and tick the option "Open sequence".
In the properties overview that pops up, select "Use custom timecode", and then select "Absolute frames".  Select the desired frame rate and hit ok.
The image sequence will appear in the "Project media" tab.  Drag it onto the timeline.

For bonus points, don't use the crap H.264 encoder in vegas.  Export to lossless AVI, and encode with x264.

MrTodd

Quote from: Audionut on May 31, 2014, 01:41:47 AM
Skip step 5 altogether, and make sure the Tiffs have sequential naming.

In Vegas, choose file | import media, select the first image, and tick the option "Open sequence".
In the properties overview that pops up, select "Use custom timecode", and then select "Absolute frames".  Select the desired frame rate and hit ok.
The image sequence will appear in the "Project media" tab.  Drag it onto the timeline.

For bonus points, don't use the crap H.264 encoder in vegas.  Export to lossless AVI, and encode with x264.

Thanks so much for your thoughts above.   Skipping the Quicktime processing is great and the results from x264vfw are incredible. Do you have any particular encoding settings in x264vfw that you use - eg: quality.

Thanks again for your help.
Some Canon stuff and some other stuff too. You can't polish a turd but shit does wipe off.

Audionut

reddeercity

Use a proper intermediate editing file format , QT .MOV. ,AVI etc.
Or you can import a tiff image sequences in to Vegas. I use to be a Vegas 9 & 10 user
and I would use QT Blackmagic RGB 10bit or Avid DNxHD with Full range color. But I mainly used Blackmagic RGB it a free download
As well as Avid DNxHD.
Keep away from H264 , its just for viewing content on the web or bluray.
The thing is why go from 14/16bit DNGs to 8bit Jpeg , H264 and kill all that bit depth.
leave the H264 to when you upload or view locally .

Maybe look at MlRawViewer link -->http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9560.msg91165#msg91165
It has the ability to export QT .mov with preset curves . It looks like a very nice tool .
Personal I use Cdng's & Open EXR's for editing and make ProRes proxy.

andresharambour

MrTodd, I use a similar workflow on a mac. On step 5 I export to prores 422 (HQ) and then to Premiere pro for edit/cut. So far I've had great results, but I don't know if it's the best workflow. I'm sure it's not the fastest...