Flicker Free ETTR Timelapse: - -Beginners Guide & Basic Post Processing --

Started by RenatoPhoto, May 26, 2013, 01:35:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmilligan

Why? There's no good reason for this. The only possible thing that would happen is you end up with a less than ideal exposure. During a sunset you could end up with overexposed shots and during a sunrise you could end up with underexposed shots.

dreamingof8a

QuoteWhy? There's no good reason for this. The only possible thing that would happen is you end up with a less than ideal exposure. During a sunset you could end up with overexposed shots and during a sunrise you could end up with underexposed shots.
Well I am just trying to find a way to avoid "flicker" which is caused by changes of the exposure during the day (or during the night). For example:
taking pictures during the night with a house in the foreground. It's well after dusk so exposure is constant at a certain level. Now the lights inside th ehouse are turned on. Ideally this would not impact the exposure. ETTR however would decrease exposure, resulting in a darker sky. Once the lights are off, exposre increase again to the former level. The result is flicker in the timelapse. If I could tell ETTR in this situation to maintain exposure or increase only, this flicker wouldn't be there. I know this only helps in a few situations (for example a passing cloud during the day would be considered a reason to "legally" increase exposure) but maybe it could help as a first step ...

dmilligan

This would only potentially eliminate some flicker. Why not just use a tool in post to eliminate all flicker, and capture as an ideal an exposure as possible in camera?

dreamingof8a

You're right, however as mentioned in the other thread regarding using GPS coordinates, I definitely see potential here to basically get rid of any flicker other than the camera-inherent (aperture flicker, Tv flicker)

mindfull

hello.

I dizzy from so much reading and trying to keep track of where is what I read before. so forgive me if i missed something.

working with intervalometor, ETTR, Deflicker, dual iso..and hopefully soon silent pictures...i have a few question i hope to understand. if you don't mind.

1- What is the best way to bake the flicker setting onto the file (CR2 or DNG)

one example is: a did timelapse with dual iso, i used the Lightroom script for El capitan to convert dual iso  and it looks like it bakes the deflicker, but not all the files had dual iso.
As I understand, dual iso only starts if it sees that its needed and wont if not. (I try to to more test to find out more)

2- with dual Iso, i found that deflicker had a visible jump when dual iso files started..is this right?

3- ETTR depends on where you set the spot meter right? if so, where do people find is best to place when sun rise or sunset?

I have many more thigs to figure out, and more test to be done, but i was hopping for a little help from experts here...you guys blow my mind...i wish i could...thanks for all.

So, far i was trying the after effects road, since my computer is too slow for resolve.. so I import DNG sequence to after effects and export prores 422..i am on an Imac.

Thanks.thanks thanks.

shogran

Hi guys,

I've used ETTR and XMP sidecar files successfully along with the intervalometer a few times in the past for time lapses. However over the past couple of nights I have noticed that that for some reason the ETTR starts hitting the limit as the sky gets darker (day to night lapse, shorter exposure limit to avoid trailing stars) but it doesn't increase the ISO above 1600.

I've never had the problem before and so have never noticed if this has always been the case and unfortunately I'm travelling at the moment so don't have access to any of my old files to check. But I don't understand why this is happening. I have a 5D II and the ISO is not set to AUTO. As a result of this the images created after a certain point are all the same exposure and the XMP files just start increasing the EV by a value of about 4 resulting to crazy noisy images.

I tried this evening with dual ISO enabled and started another evening to night lapse, the ETTR stopped again when it hit the exposure length limit and only with an ISO of 1600. Not a single shot was taken in dual ISO even with the setting enabled in the ETTR settings and in the exposure menu.

Does anyone have any ideas why it won't push to a higher ISO to keep shooting?

mindfull

Hi Shogran.

i am far from qualify to help..but..

first i thought..do you have the cam set to max iso 1600? i do have mind..
and...do you mean intervalometer stops or ETTR stops? it keeps taking pictures but not well expose?

i just thought i tried to help..sorry..no much better.

shogran

Quote from: 'mindfull'Hi Shogran.

i am far from qualify to help..but..

first i thought..do you have the cam set to max iso 1600? i do have mind..
and...do you mean intervalometer stops or ETTR stops? it keeps taking pictures but not well expose?

i just thought i tried to help..sorry..no much better.

Thanks for the reply mindfull!

I've had a quick look through the camera, and then on Google and it looks like the 5DII does not have a max ISO setting. I definitely can't see it listed anywhere on the camera. A great thought through, so thank-you!

The intervalometer keeps going but ETTR stops adjusting the exposure so they don't come out great!

Thanks again!

Edmund-B

QuoteAfter de flickering in lightroom and importing them in LRTimelapse, just un-check the exposure 2012 and use it as u always do, and skip the deflicker phase.

What do you mean after deflickering in lightroom? using Post-Deflicker makes a ready XMP with exposure modifier, Am i missing something?

The problem i am getting right now, is creating keyframes. When i create them in LRTimelapse, the Post-Deflicker curve is modified and it is not as accurate as they used to be. Also, the keyframes that are created by LRtimelapse do not appear in Lightroom :(

Here is a screenshot of the original Post-Deflicker curve in LRTimelapse.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1whvX7ElUOpb2xwOU5LNW1fN28

and here is one after initializing and creating the keyframes

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1whvX7ElUOpaWl1UldWczBRTDQ

any one has any idea?

garry23

@Edmund-B

I use LR and LRT and with ML ETTR.

I personally first bring my images into LR.

I then go to LRT and point to the folder where the images are.

I do the LRT workflow, eg keyframes and holygrail and export metadata.

Then back to LR and in Lib mode select keyframes from filter and read metadata.

Do any adjustments in LR (on the key frames) and save metadata.

Then back to LRT, read metadata and finsh off LRT phase, before returning to LR, selecting all images, reading all metadata and exporting for video.

Cheers

Garry

Edmund-B

Quote@Edmund-B

I use LR and LRT and with ML ETTR.

I personally first bring my images into LR.

I then go to LRT and point to the folder where the images are.

I do the LRT workflow, eg keyframes and holygrail and export metadata.

Then back to LR and in Lib mode select keyframes from filter and read metadata.

Do any adjustments in LR (on the key frames) and save metadata.

Then back to LRT, read metadata and finsh off LRT phase, before returning to LR, selecting all images, reading all metadata and exporting for video.

Cheers

Garry

Thanks for the reply Garry,

the problem im facing is i cant use the holy grail wizard because otherwise, i would loose the post-deflicker group of XMP files. And thats not an issue i just uncheck the exposure2012 column and thats alright.

the problem resides where creating keyframes in LRtimelapse dont appear in Lightroom

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1whvX7ElUOpdDZZQXZaX3BjYkk

garry23

OK I understand now.

I don't use any ML deflickering data, so I can't help you  :(

I 'just' use ML ETTR to handle the holy grail case and LR/LRT for the rest.

Sorry.

Garry

BTW You are reading the metadata back into LR, aren't you?

keepersdungeon

Quote from: Edmund-B on January 24, 2017, 07:09:25 PM
Thanks for the reply Garry,

the problem im facing is i cant use the holy grail wizard because otherwise, i would loose the post-deflicker group of XMP files. And thats not an issue i just uncheck the exposure2012 column and thats alright.

the problem resides where creating keyframes in LRtimelapse dont appear in Lightroom

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1whvX7ElUOpdDZZQXZaX3BjYkk
You need to uncheck the exposure 2012 in LRTimelapse before saving the animated curves or doing the initial keys.
1st bring to lightroom, use the ml deflicker then use LRTimelapse to do the keyframes, same Metadata, do your modification in lightroom and when u return to create the animated curves, uncheck "exposure 2012"

Edmund-B

Quote from: keepersdungeon on January 30, 2017, 08:02:58 PM
You need to uncheck the exposure 2012 in LRTimelapse before saving the animated curves or doing the initial keys.
1st bring to lightroom, use the ml deflicker then use LRTimelapse to do the keyframes, same Metadata, do your modification in lightroom and when u return to create the animated curves, uncheck "exposure 2012"

Yup this works for sure, but it didnt want to create keyframes for me using the XMP files generated by ML. So i had to convert all files to DNGs instead of RAW then it worked while discarding any exposure changes.

In LRTimelapse, it shows that keyframes were created. But in Lightroom, nothing appears to be starred. I might read XMPs generated by ML and then read the ones from LRTimelapse to see if i can generate keyframes manually, as im in favor always for RAW formats.

Cheers

seanruddy

First thanks all for the amazing work that has gone into this.  I have used the interval timer for years on Aurora but manually set the exposures.  Now I need some automation on that and I have a problem.

nightly 2017 march 30 60D111 I have tried it in earlier versions of the nightly as well.
I have been using ettr and it works to a point for the time lapses I am trying to get.

I'm trying to go from sunset to dark.

Highlight ignore 0.1%
Midtone SNR limit 6 EV
Shadow SNR limit 2 EV
Link to canon shutter is on
Dual iso is off  (I have played with this and looks promising but  I want to lock this problem down first).

shutter is at .8 seconds.  iso is 1600 in every place I can find and is the max set in the canon menu.

it runs fine at some point bumps into the .8 so then iso goes to 200.
But then the iso does not ramp any farther  and I see a camera raw error on the screen.  What I expect it to do is ramp to 1600 and then go dark if it needs.

am I missing something obvious?  I can be pretty thick and I have run this for the last 5 sunsets with no luck.

I fly out to a remote glacier in Denali park, Alaska in 36 hours and was really hopping to have this figured out before then.

Thnaks!
Sean

Slimper

I would like to shoot some sunrise and/or sunset time-lapse but am unable to find the settings for bulb ramping.  Any clues?

50D

magiclantern-Nightly.2017Oct31.50D109