Starting speed / preparing time

Started by Big_M, May 29, 2014, 05:20:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big_M

Hi all. I have a question about the preparing time the camera needs before it starts recording in raw. Is this some kind of optimization like the CF card warming up at startup which could be turned of? If not, is it possible to set it to a fixed amount of time, like say exactly 5 or 10 seconds? The thing is, I am playing around with more than one camera (7D) and searching a way to get them synchronized. Any idea?

Midphase

Here is a simple and easy way to synchronize two or more cameras together:

Big_M

Not in this case. I need them to record the same frame at the exact same time (as good ass possible). A clapperboard is not helping at all here

dpjpandone

you won't get them to start recording at the same precise moment, I have been talking with some devs about getting frame-accurate timestamps (derived from RTC) that you can use for post sync, but  this is quite a ways off. Currently the best methods to sync multiple dslr's is to use a clapboard or a program like pluraleyes.

Out of curiosity, What is your scenario where a slate will not allow you to sync multiple cameras?

If you want them to start as closely as possible (but they will still vary by a few frames from take to take) enable "record on half-shutter" and connect both camera's shutter ports together. When you press half-shutter on either camera, they both start simultaneously, but there is still a slight variance that you must correct by nudging your clip in the timeline. (or use plural eyes to automate this task)

ansius

connected to this topic, just out of curiosity, if anyone knows, is it possible for the flash sync socket to be controlled while recording? It has been useful for timelapse rigs to know when not to move camera, but it would be grate to use it to trigger motion in a motion control system, or as a tally trigger.
Canon EOS 7D & 40D, EF-S 17-85mm IS USM, EF 28-300mm IS USM, Mir-20, Mir-1, Helios 44-5, Zenitar ME1, Industar 50-2, Industar 61L/Z-MC, Jupiter 37A, TAIR-3
http://www.ansius.lv http://ansius.500px.com