What are the advantages disadvantages of using Resolve // ACR to process footage

Started by zacshome, May 29, 2014, 10:57:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zacshome

Been trying to figure this out for a while, I use resolve, but am I missing out on quality because I use resolve? Should I be using ACR... I thought resolve was better but lots of people still using ACR. I am after the best quality and dont want to find out i am loosing quality because I am not doing the right thing.

chmee

The AdobeEngine is maybe the best One. But it costs a lot of Time. in short terms, yes, thats it.
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

zacshome

Time is not so much an issue for me as i would rather best quality over time.

I often do a lot of effects and am trying to find the best way to get that to work in a workflow that will keep my work looking A+.

like my latest video being this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObrWrL23mQU I am rather heavy on effects in some videos....

I also definitely want to grade in resolve as that is my weapon of choice.. So it seems like the best way to go would be....Convert to Cdng , then debayer in acr? then strait into premiere then export xml and grade in resolve, export dnxhd 444 then come back to premiere and start adding effects?....

chmee

if your first place after converting will be ACR, you dont need cdng. Save 16bit TIFF's from ACR/Lightroom and go with the rest.
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

zacshome

hmmmm I havent done this in a while, so much more information to go through, doing my head in :P

zacshome

Ok so since studying since I made this message. It seems the best quality workflow atm is to shoot mlv. , convert with raw2cdng, open in bridge and color correct and add cinelog, do any stabalization you want and denoise, export to dnxhd 444, edit, find any effects you want to add visually then dynamic link them into AE but then replace the dnxhd files with DNG files again and re export as dnxhd 444, when done xml into resolve and grade? ... thats what i think sounds best... buuut... yeah...

zacshome

But again, this is a slow process isnt it... I could just do it all through resolve, export proxies edit, bam xml strait back into resolve and I dont even have to care about the shots i dont want to use.. i only grade the ones i will use. were as i may not use some of the shots i am working with when i do the after effects process meaning i have wasted a lot of time.. zzz

Midphase

You heard of the 80/20 rule? This very much applies with ML raw, except it's more like the 95/5 rule.

The main advantage of shooting in raw is twofold. Firstly your image contains much more detail coming in from the sensor, resulting in a sharper image that resembles that of much higher end cameras. The second advantage is that you are given more latitude in post to do aggressive grading.

These two major improvements are gained the moment you begin shooting with ML raw (ideally on a camera like the 5D3). Any additional pixel peeping is IMHO a bit of a waste of time that even some of the most ardent professionals in our industry wouldn't be bothered with. ACR's debayering algorithm has a slight edge over Resolve's (although in about two weeks, that might be moot). The image improvement advantage that you gain is not worth (once again IMHO) the extra expenditure of time, hard drive space, and complexity to the workflow.

I generally shy away from saying things like "the general public will never notice any difference", but in this particular case I do think it's quite true. We tend to sometimes become overly fixated with these things that it becomes an unhealthy obsession. As a builder of several Hackintoshes, I know I get obsessed with squeezing every bit of performance out of the CPU as possible, but at some point I realized that it's much better to have a slower but robust and reliable machine than a slightly faster but quirky computer. I think the same philosophy definitely applies here.

budafilms

Quote from: zacshome on May 29, 2014, 10:57:23 AM
Been trying to figure this out for a while, I use resolve, but am I missing out on quality because I use resolve? Should I be using ACR... I thought resolve was better but lots of people still using ACR. I am after the best quality and dont want to find out i am loosing quality because I am not doing the right thing.

Sometimes happiness don't depend of the most beautiful girl.
So, Resolve your projects.

Braga

Judging by your heavy use of effects your choice of debayer is not going to make much difference as the final picture undergoes extreme manipulation.
Stay with Resolve. It's a better workflow....
Making Magic 550D
EFP/ENG Photog/Editor