NTG-2 Rode microphone with magic lantern!

Started by johnny5d, May 29, 2014, 01:23:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnny5d

Hi All,

I just orderd a NTG2 Rode mic.
With magic lantern I can play with the audio levels and turn AGC OFF.
I read many people using a juiced link... should I still need that even with all the controls magic lanern has to offer me?

Kind regards,

Johnny

budafilms

I have the same mic.

Yes, you have to buy a preamp, if you want to get a good sound level.
I don't recommend Juicelink, if you going to buy one, it's cheaper and very good preamp the TASCAM D60. More connectors, double recording system - one as you want and other in different DB - screen, etc.

ItsMeLenny

I have the rode stereo video mic. It has no internal preamp, but if I turn AGC off, turn the analog gain up, and leave the digital gain off, then I get really good sound, maybe a little quiet at times, but boosting in post still sounds really good.

timbytheriver

Hi johnny5d

I use an AT875R with a iRig Preamp as per here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io-JR3aUqII

I've had excellent results with it. It's cheap, but with comparable s/n to Juicedlink (which I also have). And much lighter/more portable!

5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

johnny5d

Hi timbytheriver,

Thank you so much! The irig pre must be great!!! I just read things about it and the hack... just what I need with close budget!

Regards,

Johnny

drapeama

Quote from: budafilms on May 29, 2014, 09:21:39 AM
I have the same mic.

Yes, you have to buy a preamp, if you want to get a good sound level.
I don't recommend Juicelink, if you going to buy one, it's cheaper and very good preamp the TASCAM D60. More connectors, double recording system - one as you want and other in different DB - screen, etc.
Own that mic as well.
Yes you would need some preamp to get a clean signal recorded with your DSLR.
I disagree here. The JuicedLink preamps are much cleaner than any recorder available as for now. Here's a video showing what I mean:
[SIZE=1]I DO IT BECAUSE I CAN. I CAN BECAUSE I WANT TO. I WANT TO BECAUSE YOU SAID I COULDN'T.[/SIZE]

budafilms

Quote from: drapeama on May 31, 2014, 06:35:37 PM
Own that mic as well.
Yes you would need some preamp to get a clean signal recorded with your DSLR.
I disagree here. The JuicedLink preamps are much cleaner than any recorder available as for now. Here's a video showing what I mean:

That's its an advertising strategy.
I have one and a the Tascam D60, and it's not comparable.
Sorry, the true it's the true ;)

johnny5d

All I can say... geat enough for me!

Thanks for the tip!

budafilms

Quote from: johnny5d on June 02, 2014, 07:34:56 PM
All I can say... geat enough for me!

Thanks for the tip!

You have to try the same test with preamp.
Try to do that ;)

johnny5d

I don't know better.. for me this sounds great!.... you think the hack irig pre is not good and the juicedlink will give me better audio?

budafilms

Quote from: johnny5d on June 03, 2014, 03:15:43 PM
I don't know better.. for me this sounds great!.... you think the hack irig pre is not good and the juicedlink will give me better audio?

JuiceLink is not good. Try to test with a preamp. Try to go and store and make a test ;)

Juice Es una marca muy publicitada, desde el under, y es muy cara. Mira las marcas clásicas como TASCAM o RODE o H4N.
Porque tu nunca utilizaras tan cerca el micrófono en una toma, y si con tu prueba, lo hubieras hecho con una preamplificador, saturarías a medio volúmen. Siempre hay que buscar un nivel mejor!

saludos!