New unified version?

Started by VisualPursuit, May 28, 2014, 03:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VisualPursuit

Browsing the changelogs of the latest nightlies for EOS M,
I realised that there were many entries related to 5D3
and other cameras, not only the M. So obviously there is
a lot of code that all platform versions have in common.

Is the *.fir file the only difference of all nightlies, or ist it more complex?

Would a unified version currently be possible?

If not, what is the problem, and how can any of us help to overcome it?

I have around 200 GB in cards, and I still find myself constantly
in need of a card because it either doesn't hold ML at all or the
wrong platform version for the camera in my hand.

I have 5D2, 5D3 and EOS M.

A unified ML variant covering the 5D Mk2/3 line would be great,
and a unified version for all cameras would be a dream.

At least this would kill a lot of organization overhead and
planning headache in the use of ML.

VisualPursuit

Nobody?

Frustrating. Why not drop a few lines that might lead people to help
advancing the project, if there is something that can be done?

Formulating the problem often bears the solution in itself or sparks
a good idea in somebody how to solve it.

Audionut

a1ex had a good post about new stable releases, but I can't find it atm.

At the end of the day, there are more important things to be worked on, then the next unified build.  Of course, that doesn't stop someone else making an effort, here and now.

ItsMeLenny

The 'unified' builds were always bigger and I found them to run slower.

l_d_allan

Quote from: Audionut on June 23, 2014, 06:19:34 PM

At the end of the day, there are more important things to be worked on, then the next unified build.  Of course, that doesn't stop someone else making an effort, here and now.

My understanding is that the devs decided some months ago to get away from "Stable Releases" and instead use the concept of "Rolling Releases". I believe the intent was for faster development, which seems to have happened. IMO, it's amazing to observe the functionality that has been implemented since SR 2.3.

BTW: My own preference would be for "freezing" development at some milestone, and creating a Stable Release 3.0, but that doesn't seem likely.

I started using ML on my 5d2 not that long after SR 2.3 was available. If I was a ML newbie now, I might be underwhelmed that the last SR was almost 2 years ago (July, 2012), and since then there have been pre-alpha rolling releases. I'd probably be reluctant to take the perceived risk of using a ML nightly build.

Alesio

que version de ML  me recomendarian para instalar en la 7D por primera vez. Me gustaria que fuera mas o menos completa.

l_d_allan

Quote from: Alesio on June 25, 2014, 04:01:12 PM
que version de ML  me recomendarian para instalar en la 7D por primera vez. Me gustaria que fuera mas o menos completa.

My speculation is that you are asking what version to install on your 7d. Correct?

What firmware is on your camera?

Have you attempted to download and install the 2.3 Stable Release (from July, 2012)?

Have you attempted to download and install the latest "Nightly Build" for the 7d with firmware 2.0.3?
http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/
The latest should work fine, as my understanding is that the 7d is actively supported by ML ... one or several of the ML devs have ownership of a 7d, which really facilitates active development.

BTW: I'm unclear if the Stable Release 2.3 will install on a camera with newer firmware than was available back in July, 2012.

VisualPursuit

Quote from: Audionut on June 23, 2014, 06:19:34 PM

There is a lot of information in this forum, and most of it is well hidden...... sigh.

In the end I don't know anything more than before I asked.

1) Is a unified version possible? (Could just as well be impossible for technical reasons I have no clue about)
2) What needs to be done to buold a unified version? (That could open the track for someone with more coding skills than me)

The beauty of a unified version for people owning more than
one model EOS cameras is clear, no?

VisualPursuit

Thank you. That is to the point and clears up a lot.

Gives me food for thought.