The Artifice - Short Film

Started by bishaway, May 28, 2014, 01:42:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bishaway

Hey Everyone

I have been looking for an excuse to find a project to shoot on 5dmk3 RAW. So here is a short film I DOP'ed. I was very satisfied with the results, especially when it got screened on a 20 meter screen in Melbourne, Australia. Hope you enjoy

Jakobmen

me and my family watched it a 3 days ago... great job!... Inspirational what we can do.. what was lightning setup?
Canon 5D3

bishaway

awesome, thanks for checking it out.

The lighting set ups were various using what ever we could get our hands on with no budget, so it was a mix of LED panels and redheads, lowel pro lights and bounce boards (some minimal cutters but would have liked a lot more). I used the LED generally as moonlight as I set the White balance to tungsten for the red heads but on the boy I used LED fill to give him an off colour skin tones.

Our next film is 30min long and also will be shot on 5dmk3 RAW which will be a challenge as it is on location https://www.facebook.com/benhallshortfilm and will I be 2nd Unit DOP and grading and fx but hopefully if we get crowdfunded then we can get some decent lighting.

Jakobmen

i love how you did the lighting.  also what did you colorgrade & sharpin with ?
Canon 5D3

bishaway

sharpening and NR was done in ACR when exporting from the raw files, grading was done within Avid using Filmlight.

Jakobmen

hey i been using Avid for 15years.  what did you transcode your raw files too ?
Canon 5D3

bishaway

after correcting the DNG's (and doing the effects in AE) Just Tiffs and imported to 444 codec and output back to tiff mov file once grade was done.

Jakobmen

Will the tiff workflow shows the quality.. thanks for telling me your workflow.. I was a beta tester for filmlight I've been thinking about ordering it for my avid machine..
Canon 5D3

bishaway

I actually like it more than Resolve, although Resolve lite is free so a much cheaper alternative

genosajd

WOW! pro!
Best film recorded with dslr for me:)

Can you tell us about LED light (model, brand)?
What lens did you use?
What about settings in camera - 1920x1080 24p? color profile?
What did you use to record sound?

bishaway

Quote from: genosajd on May 29, 2014, 12:41:41 AM
WOW! pro!
Best film recorded with dslr for me:)

Can you tell us about LED light (model, brand)?
What lens did you use?
What about settings in camera - 1920x1080 24p? color profile?
What did you use to record sound?

thanks, couldn't tell ya the LED as it was provided by another crew member, it was like a 900 led bi colour. The lenses are L zooms 16-35, 24-70, 70-200 and one shot with L 100mm

No colour profile as shooting raw doesn't use any in camera post processing by the digic cpu. FPS at 23.976

most of the sound is ADR (only one bit we used production sound), but the sound guy recorded with an ntg3 and I think the tascam d60 recorer

genosajd

Thank you

"Avid using Filmlight"
Can you tel us more about this workflow, maybe screen?

jasondhines

This looked like a legit Hollywood production. Loved the grade and how clean the blacks were. Great job.

bishaway

Quote from: genosajd on May 29, 2014, 07:57:55 PM
Thank you

"Avid using Filmlight"
Can you tel us more about this workflow, maybe screen?

don't have to, you can watch heap of tuts on it :) http://www.filmlight.ltd.uk/resources/video/bleditions/baselightforavid.php

bishaway

Quote from: jasondhines on May 29, 2014, 11:45:09 PM
This looked like a legit Hollywood production. Loved the grade and how clean the blacks were. Great job.

Wow that's a nice compliment, I guess the aim was to see if we could get close to it.

poromaa

Really impressive!! Was glued to the screen for the whole bit. Great work!

bishaway

Quote from: poromaa on May 30, 2014, 12:06:55 AM
Really impressive!! Was glued to the screen for the whole bit. Great work!

Awesome, I can only take cred for Cinematography, grading and fx..so equal props to the rest of the cast and crew!

mir

Great stuff, amazing quality and post processing

Doyle4

That was way better than I thought it was going to be, I gotta pass this on to others. Great work.

bishaway

Quote from: mir on May 31, 2014, 02:08:57 AM
Great stuff, amazing quality and post processing

thanks, pretty amazing what ML has allowed us to get out of the mk3

bishaway

Quote from: Doyle4 on May 31, 2014, 11:40:39 PM
That was way better than I thought it was going to be, I gotta pass this on to others. Great work.

Hehe well that's the best kind of compliment ;)

MrTodd

Great stuff there Peter. Loved the moving shots. Also nice to see some handheld as well. Everything you did completely suited the mood of the story. What a great example to have on your CV. Well done.
Some Canon stuff and some other stuff too. You can't polish a turd but shit does wipe off.

SiSS

Very nice!
I checked the beginning yesterday and scanned quickly some positive feedback. I never want to know too much about any movies. Then late late last night I was showing some newest stuff made with 5D3 Raw to my girlfriend, lights off and all that. Didn't know what genre we were watching before the hint with the... well let's not spoil it for others, but oh man, did it keep us in grip! :)

Bravo.

This is of course all about some really good cinematography, but have to say that your audio guys really made it too. Also the talent...there's something there... makes me feel there was good acting/directing combination... good work.

Few questions about the camera work:

1) Did you use External monitor, or EVF?
2) Do you use waveform? If so, camera, EVF, external monitor?

3) You mentioned in Vimeo that you used best CF cards, and that you had Digital Wrangel doing the job, do you remember the cards? Lexar and SanDisk have many speeds and versions, and they all seem to work differently.
4) How about the wranglers/yours work flow, did you have monitor with playback or did you check your material right after shooting from computer or other device?
5) What equipment was used for data transfer?

Thanks!
S

bishaway

Quote from: MrTodd on June 01, 2014, 12:40:21 PM
Great stuff there Peter. Loved the moving shots. Also nice to see some handheld as well. Everything you did completely suited the mood of the story. What a great example to have on your CV. Well done.

Cheers, yeah so glad that shooting raw we didn't encounter much rolling shutter from shooting hand held, although I am more of a fan of natural hand held rather than shaky cam

bishaway

Quote from: SiSS on June 02, 2014, 01:23:33 PM
Very nice!
I checked the beginning yesterday and scanned quickly some positive feedback. I never want to know too much about any movies. Then late late last night I was showing some newest stuff made with 5D3 Raw to my girlfriend, lights off and all that. Didn't know what genre we were watching before the hint with the... well let's not spoil it for others, but oh man, did it keep us in grip! :)

Bravo.

This is of course all about some really good cinematography, but have to say that your audio guys really made it too. Also the talent...there's something there... makes me feel there was good acting/directing combination... good work.

Few questions about the camera work:

1) Did you use External monitor, or EVF?
2) Do you use waveform? If so, camera, EVF, external monitor?

3) You mentioned in Vimeo that you used best CF cards, and that you had Digital Wrangel doing the job, do you remember the cards? Lexar and SanDisk have many speeds and versions, and they all seem to work differently.
4) How about the wranglers/yours work flow, did you have monitor with playback or did you check your material right after shooting from computer or other device?
5) What equipment was used for data transfer?

Thanks!
S
Hehe, nice surpise to creep you both out LOL :)

Ok to answer some questions

1. Well we tried using external monitor but had issues, originally through my research I understood that I could record externally to the Ninja, but of course finding out on the set it was not the case and Atomos couldn't help, so we didn't use it very much since its terrible for monitoring. But we were hoping to record for the director to watch back.
2. I had waveform on the mk3 but only really referred to it a couple of times, it was a quick and dirty 2 night shoot so didn't have the luxury of spending much time on setups.
3. We shot like film..no reviews, no going back to the laptop after backup to check for shots, pretty simple workflow, 2 backups on separate drives after card is finished, format card and shoot :) It's high risk but I have shot on 16mm and 35mm and so it comes with experience that if I know I have the right setup up for lighting and camera, things will be right. Occasionally for the trickier shots we did a test run shot in h264 so the director could check to see how it looked.
4. they are my own 32g Sandisk Extreme Pro 160mbps. Not one single frame dropped
5. Data transfer assume from CF to PC, just a sandisk usb3 card reader, portable 1tb drives (total footage was around 600gig), we shot very low ratio I think the most amount of takes was about 5 but most we got in 3 or 2. thanks to the great actors and only a few hickups technically.