Magic Lantern RAW (.MLV) Forest Stress Test video on 60D

Started by ariaelf, June 05, 2014, 02:17:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ariaelf

Did this video to stress-test the camera with Magic Lantern RAW in the woods.

Difficult conditions with very bright sun, lots of texture in the leaves and bark, harsh shadows and glare on the water. I wanted to see how much information I could recover in the shadows and highlights in post production... but as you can see there is still a lot of clipping in both color and highlights. Lesson: ML RAW will not solve everything, and DSLR's still have limited dynamic range even if you capture all of it ;)

Also note the stuck/dead pixels when watching full screen.

jimmyD30

What was your methodology in post? Which apps did you use and what steps did you take for color correcting and grading and what did you render it as?

ariaelf

Quote from: jimmyD30 on June 05, 2014, 12:08:50 PM
What was your methodology in post? Which apps did you use and what steps did you take for color correcting and grading and what did you render it as?

raw ML .MLV files off camera > ML raw Video Converter 1.9.1 to batch export in to .DNG sequences > import .DNG sequences to DaVinci Resolve, add all the individual clips to timeline > export as individually named clips in AVI YUV 422 10 bit codec as PROXIES for editing > import proxies to Adobe Premiere Pro 6.0 > edit footage > export XML file > import the XML file to DaVinci Resolve for color work > complete color correction & grading > export high quality AVI 10 bit file and transcode as needed depending on final destination.

Keep in mind that VIMEO will take whatever file you upload and turn it into H264 and downscale it as well (unless you're playing for a pro account.)

Etrocal

This didn't look to me like it was a ML RAW problem so much as camera settings... With the proper way to handle a camera a t2i shooting in .H264 could save the footage you've showcased here.  It's easy to assume that with the added dynamic range of RAW if you shoot something that isn't properly exposed you'll be able to save it in post, but (although Canon's dynamic ranges have never been the best) if you shoot at a middle ground between dynamic extremes in a scene, especially in RAW, generally you can salvage everything that nature can throw at you.

That said, forested environments are a total bitch to shoot in, so it's possible that the 60D wasn't up to par, but the conditions in the video looked fairly salvageable
5d mkiii - 6d - Canon 24-105mmL, 85mm 1.8, 28mm f1.8, 50mm 1.8, 40mm 2.8  -  and a boatload of accessories