Failed to create file. Card full?

Started by rob_6, May 28, 2014, 01:39:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob_6

I am getting this message when trying record one continuous clip on a 64GB card: "Failed to create file. Card full?"  I get this error at around 40gb or 10 minutes. The camera locks up and I have to force the restart. Is this a known issue? I am having this problem with mlv-rec on my 7D.203 and 5D3.113.

Anyone have the same problem or know if any setting to change to resolve the issue?

ItsMeLenny

Try reformatting your card.
If you've just been putting the card in the computer and pressing delete on things, then technically the data may still be there.

Audionut

Try using the option in MLV, Reserve Card Space.

rob_6

I tried reformatting the card and I get the same error at the same point in time on both cameras: at 8 minutes on the 5D and at 10 minutes on the 7d. I also have the option in MLV, Reserve Card Space active. I was able to record in EXFat mode on the 5D and that worked fine without stopping and no errors, but I would prefer not having to format the card in EXfat mode.

Thanks for the suggestions. Are you guys not getting this error with your 64gb cards? I have a Lexar 64gb 1000x card.

I am also getting this error when recording with mlv_rec only. I don't get the error when recording with raw_rec. I just would really like to have sound so I would like to use mlv_rec...

ansius

same for me, with 7D and silicon power 32gb 400x cards, I always thought that it was because my cards were to slow. raw_rec works, mlv_rec always screams the same thing, even when cards formatted in camera.
Canon EOS 7D & 40D, EF-S 17-85mm IS USM, EF 28-300mm IS USM, Mir-20, Mir-1, Helios 44-5, Zenitar ME1, Industar 50-2, Industar 61L/Z-MC, Jupiter 37A, TAIR-3
http://www.ansius.lv http://ansius.500px.com

Audionut

Are you getting the dummy file created on the card (with Reserve Card Space active)?  I don't recall exactly what it is called, but it will be on the same card used for recording.

ted ramasola

Quote from: Audionut on May 29, 2014, 06:00:26 AM
Are you getting the dummy file created on the card (with Reserve Card Space active)?

the mlv_rec.tmp file.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

Audionut

rob_6

Quote from: Audionut on May 29, 2014, 06:00:26 AM
Are you getting the dummy file created on the card (with Reserve Card Space active)?  I don't recall exactly what it is called, but it will be on the same card used for recording.

Audionut,

I am getting the dummy file on the card with Reserve Card Space active.

Is there anything else I should test to help debug what the issue may be?
Rob

ansius

I can report the same story with mine 7D, unfortunately I don't have any other brand CF cards now to test.
Canon EOS 7D & 40D, EF-S 17-85mm IS USM, EF 28-300mm IS USM, Mir-20, Mir-1, Helios 44-5, Zenitar ME1, Industar 50-2, Industar 61L/Z-MC, Jupiter 37A, TAIR-3
http://www.ansius.lv http://ansius.500px.com

Audionut

I would suggest creating a short overview of the problem, in the module thread, and linking back to this thread.

rob_6

Quote from: Audionut on May 30, 2014, 04:53:00 AM
I would suggest creating a short overview of the problem, in the module thread thread, and linking back to this thread.

Thanks Audionut. I posted in that thread like you suggested. Hopefully g3gg0 or someone else might know what is causing the issue. Thanks again!

g3gg0

ok seems that more than 10 files are not possible.
reminds me of the maximum file descriptor count.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

rob_6

Quote from: g3gg0 on May 30, 2014, 10:29:56 PM
ok seems that more than 10 files are not possible.
reminds me of the maximum file descriptor count.

Thanks for the response g3gg0. Is it possible to fix that limitation? Raw_rec.mo doesn't stop at 10 files. I am able to fill the card with 14 files. Maybe Alex did something with raw_rec.mo to allow more then 10 files per recording? Just trying to help. Thanks again!

g3gg0

during the last week i was quite busy with my main job, and it will take another few days.
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

rob_6

Thanks g3gg0! I look forward to the update. A million thanks again for everything you have done !

Rob

rob_6

Hi g3gg0,

Just checking in to see if you have an estimate for this change. Are you still planning to make the fix? Thanks again!

Rob

g3gg0

(just came to sit in front of the pc, its 23:00)

planning: yes.

at the moment main work an family deserves some time.
when things settle, i will definitely look into it.
until then i need the spare time to recover, not digging into C code all night :)

however other people can see this as encouragement to support ML by providing fixes.
(other people != alex all the time ;) )

rob_6

Quote from: g3gg0 on June 18, 2014, 10:56:32 PM
(just came to sit in front of the pc, its 23:00)

planning: yes.

at the moment main work an family deserves some time.
when things settle, i will definitely look into it.
until then i need the spare time to recover, not digging into C code all night :)

however other people can see this as encouragement to support ML by providing fixes.
(other people != alex all the time ;) )

Thanks for the update g3gg0. I wish I could help on the coding side. Your family and good rest is most important!

rob_6

I added the issue in Bitbucket in case anyone has the time to address this issue.

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issue/2063/mlv_rec-issue-when-recording-long-take

Thanks again!
Rob

richy1

Hi there,

I HAVE THE SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM!!!

It is the Lexar card! If you have a Lexar 64gb 1000x UDMA 7 card with max. 95mb/s write speed it is too slow for long MLV takes with Sound or when using the external monitor. I had the exact same problem on two different cameras. But when I exchanged the card for the faster Sandisk 160mb/S read and 150mb/s write UDMA7 64gb the problem went away.
But you have to turn ON EXFat >4gb in ML menu. Otherwise the MLV files span to 10+ and then you get an Error saying "Cannot read file. Card full?" The camera can only span to maximum 10 MLV files. It will break off at about 42gb when you don't turn that on.
Best wishes and happy shooting!