Flawlessly working ML on 5d3

Started by dollsfoto, August 02, 2014, 11:44:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dollsfoto

Hi!

I have been considering buying the 5D3 and using for video with ML for paid assignments where is no place for bug . However, I am reading only threads with problems using the ML - not properly working ML, not appropriate CF card, not constant writing, skipping frames, RAW creating multiple files for the same footage etc. So, to make my question really short:

1- Can I trust stable ML on 5D3 for paid assignments recording RAW?
2 - Can I do constant recording at 1,920 x 1,080 at 24p/25p recording RAW?
3 - The card most of members use and recommend is Komputerbay 1000x 064 GB - does it work flawlessly in 1080 24/25p recording RAW?

4 - Or would you rather pick the Canon C100 if constant and reliable video camera is needed?

I know it was probably discussed many times, but so much threads on this forum that is really hard to find the answer. It is enough if you simply answer - yes/no. Will save me lot of time, thanks.

nigel

I'd suggest lexar for professional work. They have never failed me. Yet.

It is rather stable now

Danne

Raw, at least for me works flawlessly in 25 fps.  I use  transcends 1000x card. Both 64 and 128gb. The 128 gb being a little faster. Personally I wouldn, t buy a komputerbay card if I were too work more seriously but for playing around sure why not.

dollsfoto

Quote from: nigel on August 02, 2014, 11:58:17 AM
I'd suggest lexar for professional work. They have never failed me. Yet.

It is rather stable now

Quote from: Danne on August 02, 2014, 12:00:11 PM
Raw, at least for me works flawlessly in 25 fps.  I use a transcend 1000x card. Both 64 and 128gb. The 128 gb being a little faster. Personally I wouldn, t buy a komputerbay card if I were too work more seriously but for playing around sure why not.

I do not mind paying more for stable card, but I really need a tool that will not let me down on paid assignments. "Rather stable" :D would rather hear from you guys bulletproof stable :)

I thought that the Komputerbay is the best, because in the thread with a poll opened "which card is the best" that one won by quite a margin.

jimmyD30

KomputerBay is good IF you get a good copy, but some KB cards are just outright bad, like the KB  128GB 1000x, way slower than advertised. Also, watch out for fake cards, some guy in another thread got like 400x cards when he paid for 1000x. Transcend and Lexar are probably most reliable, but more expensive.

As far as stability goes, find a stable build and stick with it for paid work and play around with latest nightlies for less important shoots. But either way, before committing to pro/paid work with ML, just use as much as possible to learn limitations, quirks, etc.

Danne

There is no gurantees with cards. I had a few. I got a Kingston card once, the only one that failed me but when it happened it was a disaster. I used about 5 different types of transcends and they never failed. And I,ve been doing all kinds of readers on different computers. Always worked. Of course there is still no gurantees.
Komputerbay. Search and you will find all kind of information.
Good luck

sergiocamara93

1 - That's up to you, but I've done several projects for clients with ML RAW in the last year and it did not fail me once. A little bug here and there, so of course do your testing and take precautions (more than one take of anything, check with MLV_Play whenever possible)
2 - With a good card. 24p is relatively easy, stable 25 at 1080p might be a little harder to get.
3 - I've battle tested two Transcend 64gb 1000x: one year, countless writes-reads, never a problem. There has been Komputerbay users with and without problems, but my money is on Transcend. Lexar also has a good track record but I've never used their 1000x cards.

4 - Or would you rather pick the Canon C100 if constant and reliable video camera is needed?
Yes and no. If you want/need/fancy RAW, 5D3 (and if you ask me with 1.1.3 firmware) is the way to go. But, if you are doing client work with little or basic color correction and you cannot afford any tiny glitch whatsoever, I would suggest not using edge bleeding code, even if it is more stable that some manufacturers' factory software. Take into consideration also the different requirements of hard drive space between RAW and AVC/ProRes (C100).

RAW in 5D3 is relatively bug free in my experience and has many advantages, but it all depends on your risk assessment criteria and how comfortable you feel using one solution or another. They are tools, they all can fail, and I wouldn't really compare one with the other.
5D Mark III

dollsfoto

Quote from: sergiocamara93 on August 02, 2014, 02:19:42 PM
1 - That's up to you, but I've done several projects for clients with ML RAW in the last year and it did not fail me once. A little bug here and there, so of course do your testing and take precautions (more than one take of anything, check with MLV_Play whenever possible)
2 - With a good card. 24p is relatively easy, stable 25 at 1080p might be a little harder to get.
3 - I've battle tested two Transcend 64gb 1000x: one year, countless writes-reads, never a problem. There has been Komputerbay users with and without problems, but my money is on Transcend. Lexar also has a good track record but I've never used their 1000x cards.

Yes and no. If you want/need/fancy RAW, 5D3 (and if you ask me with 1.1.3 firmware) is the way to go. But, if you are doing client work with little or basic color correction and you cannot afford any tiny glitch whatsoever, I would suggest not using edge bleeding code, even if it is more stable that some manufacturers' factory software. Take into consideration also the different requirements of hard drive space between RAW and AVC/ProRes (C100).

RAW in 5D3 is relatively bug free in my experience and has many advantages, but it all depends on your risk assessment criteria and how comfortable you feel using one solution or another. They are tools, they all can fail, and I wouldn't really compare one with the other.

Thanks, very reasonable arguments here. I know that the RAW will be heavy on hard drive/disk space, but in EU the C100 is 3800€ no VAT and 5d3 2000€ no VAT. That means I can buy two 5d3 for the money of one C100. I see that in US the price of the 5d3 is almost 1000USD more. Rarely happens, because usually everything is much cheaper in US. There can be some room for bugs, but I can not loose a whole footage because of the unreliable gear. I do not really need the RAW. It is nice to have, but C100 AVC format would be enough, because I do not plan on heavy grading. Despite the C100 suits my needs better (becaue of reliability), the 5d3 is half the price and "not bad" still camera. Having right now D800 I have no problem selling it and going with 5d3 instead. That would mean even bigger price gap between choosing the 5d3 instead of C100, because I can sell the D800 and shoot with 5d3.

in sum cost of buying:
C100 = 3800€
5d3 = 500-1000€ (depends on what I can get for D800)