Best Card for 50D RAW video

Started by audiophilephob, May 26, 2014, 08:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

audiophilephob

Although https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgQ2MOkAZTFHdFFIcFp1d0R5TzVPTVJXOEVyUndteGc#gid=5 says that 50D can handle "only" 70MB/s, I've found some full HD (crop mode) RAW videos made with 50D.
I'm interested in buying that camera so I have a few questions:
1. Is it possible to run ML with a 32GB, 64GB or bigger CF card on 50D
2. Which card I must buy to get maximum of 50D
** I think that 50D is UDMA 6 compatible and yet some people use UDMA 7 cards
** I've found information that 50D can handle max 133 MB/s (continuous Full HD?!?!)
** x600, x800, x1000. Lots of topics on these specs. A lot of people had complained about their x800 or so that it doesn't work as they had expected.
3. Whole sensor Full HD RAW, possible or not? (crop mode uses 80MB/s as far as I know) If impossible, what does it make it so? CPU? What?  >:(
Thank you in advace. I'm new here and have been searching for a while but haven't find any of those informations here yet.  :-\

Jackeatley

Yes you can stick big cards in there.

Full sensor HD is a no go, highest is the 1540x mode, which looks pretty damm good. The reason why is not CPU, Ram or card, its the physical output of the sensor, the camera upscales this to provide the compressed HD.

I've found the 1000x cards help, I'm running lexars at the present which work perfectly.

You won't get continuous HD crop, you'll get 10-20 second bursts really at maximum.

I've never seen a card hit above 79mbs in actual write conditions.

dsManning

I get continuous HD crop 1920x818 which is a 2.35:1 ratio and looks great.

That is on both a Komputerbay 1000x 32GB card and a Toshiba 1066x 16GB card.

And I also get continuous 2.35:1 no crop on a Lexar 800x 16GB card.

Not sure what Jackeaatley has for some settings, but I'm even running with a few overlays on (focus peaking, vectorscope, histogram, etc) and I'm still not getting skipped frames on these cards.  Quite often writing up to 83 mb/s to the Toshiba and usually around 81 mb/s for the Komputerbay.  The 800x Lexar hangs more around 45-49 mb/s.

audiophilephob

That's nice!  :D

So I better get the fastest card I can get.

One thing is not clear to me right now. Jackeatley (and some other folks) say that I can stick big cards in there, but ML readme says I must have 32GB or smaller card to get it going with ML. What about that?

And one additional question about 50D.
How does it work on h264 video? Can I preview the video after recording, and if I'm FPS overriding, will I see 30fps preview or preview in fps I've shot?  ???

Normally, I shoot in 24fps and I'm definitely buying this camera if it does such as great work with h264 as with RAW.