Vancouver in Motion

Started by Michal, May 13, 2014, 04:18:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michal

Hi guys,

I have been a long time user of Magic Lantern and am extremely grateful for the work you guys continue to produce to help us out. Finally I have a piece of work using ML which I feel is worthwhile sharing, so if you have 4 minutes of free time, and you enjoy timelapse/hyperlapse, please watch my short film:

Thank you for your time, and keep up the good work!

Michal

Canon eos m

Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

Michal

Thank you! I'm glad you like it!

pholler

Michal

Thank you for your feedback Pholler!

jrcreative

great work. which camera and build?

Michal

Thank you JR. I mostly used the 5D mark iii but also the 550D when I had limited time and needed to use 2 cameras. Regarding the build, do you mean which Magic Lantern firmware build did I use?

zagfish

Awesome work. Thanks for sharing.  :)

Michal

Thank you Zagfish! Glad you like it. :)

jrcreative

Quote from: Michal on May 14, 2014, 07:34:43 AM
Thank you JR. I mostly used the 5D mark iii but also the 550D when I had limited time and needed to use 2 cameras. Regarding the build, do you mean which Magic Lantern firmware build did I use?

Yes please.

Budders

Fantastic! It's great seeing some interesting timelapse/HDR stuff like this shot here in Vancouver! I too am working on the 5D mk iii with magic lantern, although I'm more focused on the narrative filmmaking side of things. Just recently shot my first short with RAW that I'm currently editing on.

arturochu

can you share your hyperlapse post workflow?
Chu

rsousa

calinourss

WOW... I had a kind of overdose of timelapse but yours is unique. WOW again. Keep on the good work bro!

Michal

Hey guys,

Apologies for the late, late reply to some of your feedback.

I really appreciate all of the positive comments from fellow ML users, cheers! :)

Regarding the workflow, i'm not sure if its something I would recommend as I am on an old computer without software such as lightroom, but here is how I did it:

First I would batch process each image sequence in Photomatix Pro, this would take a long long time, usually between 3-4 hours.

Once that was done, I would import all of the stills from one sequence onto a timeline in FCP.

Next, I would export the whole sequence as a Prores 422 movie file.

Lather, rinse and repeat for each sequence shot.

Once all were done, I would start my proper edit in FCP, including all crops, moves, etc...

Once I was fairly satisfied with the edit, I exported the whole sequence, without moves as a Prores 422 file.

My friend Diego then imported that sequence into After Effects to apply the graphics. Once the graphics were done, he exported it back to me in Prores 422.

I then cut up the sequence so each shot was a seperate clip in its own right, and then I copied and pasted the moves from my original edit onto the edit with graphics.

Finally, we just got the mix done in protools, put the whole thing together and threw it onto vimeo. :) I'm sure there are better ways to do this but if you are interested in any more details about the workflow, do let me know, I will check back shortly.

Cheers!

Michal

Michal

Oh sorry, and regarding the hyperlapse, the only additional step is, after exporting the sequence as a 422 file from FCP, I would import it into Adobe After Effects and apply the warp stabilize filter to smooth out any shaky movements. The best way to achieve this is to keep your moves relatively small and try to have one corner of the square on your viewfinder always 'touching' the same object in frame, whether its a window, a building, a parked car, etc...it just gives AE a point of reference to stabilize the image. Also, try to avoid too much movement in the foreground as that can drag your stabilized image around all over the place. I had a few sequences that didn't make it into the final edit because of that, but it was a good learning experience.