2nd curtain sync - Canon

Started by Daniel lynch, May 27, 2014, 05:35:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel lynch

Hello,

I am looking for a way to use 2nd curtain sync on a Canon camera without using a pocket wizard. Is there a magic lantern or any other hack you can load onto a 5d mkIII that will provide this option? I appreciate any help anyone may have in this regard,

Thanks and take care...

Audionut

It is not pocket wizard specific.  You need a flash with TTL to enable this option.

Walter Schulz

If he want's to go wireless, there is no flash doing this on it's own. 2nd curtain is not possible using Canon's wireless options.  Pocket wizards can do. Not sure if the rest of the ETTL remote triggers bunch (Phottix, Pixel King, Yongnuo, RadioPopper, Hahnel, etc. pp.) are up to the task.

vertigopix

I can confirm that Phottix Strato TTL and Yongnuo yn-622c can do 2nd curtain sync.
But you must disable wireless func. in Canon menu.

Marsu42

Quote from: Walter Schulz on May 27, 2014, 08:34:35 AM
Not sure if the rest of the ETTL remote triggers bunch (Phottix, Pixel King, Yongnuo, RadioPopper, Hahnel, etc. pp.) are up to the task.

Yn can do it with their st-e3 clone trigger, but only in good ol' a:b:c ratio mode and only if you set all flashes to m = no e-ttl. Probably not much of a loss, there was an interesting discussion on CR which demonstrated that 2nd curtain does make little difference most of the time like dancing people except for *very* long exposures with movement in *one* direction.