Timelapse shutter drag

Started by garry23, May 27, 2014, 12:09:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garry23

I am using silent picture mode for timelapse and it is great. I ingest into LR and use LRTimelapse.

One thing I'm not sure about is the exposure when pulling a silent picture from the LV.

Assuming I set a base exposure to ISO 100, f/10 at 1/200 is this the exposure that the silent picture dng is captured at? Or is silent picture not related to the mechanical shutter?

I correct the missing dng EXIF in LR using LensTagger. This is OK for a fixed timelapse, but if I shoot a-ETTR holy grail then the EXIF data could be all over the place. So I still need to work out how to correct the EXIF in this case.

Finally, is there a way to tell the camera that I don't want to shoot faster than x, ie to ensure the 'shutter' is dragged. Of course this is irrelevant if a silent picture doesn't have an equivalent shutter time. There are ways to tell the camera not to shoot slower than y.

a1ex

For correct exposure, switch to movie mode. In photo mode you get ExpSim, and I expect you to know what that is ;)

garry23

Alex

It has also become clear to me that a-ETTR gets changed if you invoke FPS override.

What would you suggest is the best capture strategy for shutterless timelapse?

Cheers

garry23

Alex

After many experiments I have concluded that if I wish to do a silent dng timelapse AND use ETTR then I can not use movie mode. I must use picture LV mode.

The ETTR always on works in LV picture mode but not movie mode, ie throwing a cloth over the lens in picture LV modes clearly shows the exposure changing, in movie mode nothing happens.

Am I completely wrong?

a1ex

The help message from ETTR menu should tell you what to do.

(that is, enable raw video, but don't start recording)