REC COMMAND via the HDMI trigger - Atomos

Started by kfprod, May 25, 2014, 03:11:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lars Steenhoff

Yes I tried "0xF Record TV Screen" after I saw my mistake, still no record on the ninja.

I hope there is still some way to make it work ...   8)

Kharak

Awesome work G3gg0!

Thank you for looking in to this!

I don't have a Atomos now and most likely wont for quite some time now, but I do have a Samsung TV, so I will try turning it off and what ever else is possibly possible.. Smart Remote 2015

I am on 113 btw
once you go raw you never go back

g3gg0

yeah from the atomos specs, the use a totally different signalling scheme than CEC.
they use the packets that get embedded into the video signal, just like audio etc.

CEC is a separate signalling channel and has nothing to do with that.
unfortunately the atomos doesnt parse that CEC commands :(
so thats a dead end.

still, smart tv's can be controlled using the camera now ;)
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

Lars Steenhoff

How about if you would enable h264 on the sd card and raw on the compact flash simultaneously.
The h264 should trigger the Atomos record right? even when the h264 would have a very low bitrate.

This would only work on firmware 1.2.3

Kharak

Too bad about CEC not being the way..

So its audio signal or beep that starts the Atomos' recording?

I know this doesn't further the cause of Rec command, but could you point me in the right direction for TV remote MK III.

I set Source as Tuner 1

and destination as TV

But I couldn't get the TV to turn off or do anything.. Tried every command that had a description and some random unknowns.

g3gg0

its not a beep that triggers recording.
the HDMI signal has various packets that can be sent along with the video.
audio frames, info frames, encryption stuff etc.

and the timecode and record flags are embedded into info frames.

i tried it with my samsung smart tv and i could power off it using command 0x36.
please when sending data, use the exact number of payload bytes that is being shown on cec-o-matic i linked above.
if you forget to send payload, the TV will throw away the packet.

(command 0x36 does not need any payload. command 0x0f also doesnt need one)
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

Kharak

ok, seemed too simple to be a beep..

Though I think the Tascam DR 60 listens for a beep signal to start recording, but ofcourse that is Audio related aswell..

Anyways.. I tried 0x36 and tried switching destination to Broadcast and every other, but I cant get it to work, Maybe its the TV model .. I got Samsung tv too.

0x3
0x0 and 0xF and everyother
0x36

Where exactly do I see the required payload? in the numbers that briefly are shown when sending ?

PS. Took me awhile to figure out how to delete the payload, for anyone else trying this, use Joystick to go back and then delete the numbers.

Thanks anyways

Kharak

Thought I found the culprit a moment ago..

Was going through Canon Menu and noticed under the Play tab that Ctrl over HDMI was disabled, enabled it but alas no difference in sending commands to TV, I couldn't turn it off.

But as I don't recall ever disabling this option, I think maybe its standard and Lars could look in to it on his camera and try it with his Atomos again.

@G3gg0, do you have it enabled?

Though honestly I am not sure what "Ctrl over HDMI" does, but I can only imagine it means Control.

g3gg0

yeah, i have the control over hdmi enabled.

if you connect your camera over HDMI, does your TV show its name when choosing source?

Kharak

Eureka !

Well not really.. but I managed to turn off the TV via HDMI.

Under Applications I could see 5D MK III Menu and 5D MK III Info, under setup Anynet+HDMI (CEC) Auto Turn off was off. Has to be ON in order to let devices request shut down.

But no, I could not see the Samsung name in TV source.

and under CEC-o-matic I cant seem to find where it says which payload to send?

g3gg0

haha no i mean the TV should show the camera's name :)
the module i made will not show any name.

in cec-o-matic you enter some stuff and if you press the arrow up on the right side, the data bytes in the top line get updated.
the first byte is the source+destination pair. the second byte is the command ID.
if there are 3 or more bytes, thats the payload. just skip the first two bytes and enter it into the payload dialog.

the short popup telling you what data has been sent, only shows you one payload byte (or zero if there was no payload)

beasone

I'm preparing for a feature film shoot, and this feature would really help with our work flow.  It's time consuming to load the raw footage into the computer and watch MlRawViewer.  This way we'd have immediate playback.  8)

Lars Steenhoff

Yes It's a great thing to have, I read in the atomos site that the recording can also be triggered with timecode, if we can have MLV recoding with timecode it might work already.

Lars Steenhoff

Update

With the new h264 proxy recording
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/71a6676c01590cb83cccde9d39d5ff6ffbd24215

Its possible to record Raw to the compact flash, h264 to the SD and trigger the external recorder from the h264 signal.
I just tested it with a canon 5d mk3 and Atoms ninja blade.