Silent Timelapse: trouble getting going

Started by garry23, May 24, 2014, 10:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garry23

I hope some kind person can tell me where I'm going wrong on my 5DIII.

I have the latest download.

I have enabled the silent module and it works OK in both half push and burst, ie I get .dng, which I can open in LR.

When I try to set up a simple timelapse, switch to LV and try to take a silent timelapse, I 'just' get a singe silent dng, until I press half shutter again, ie the timelapse doesn't seem to initiate and trigger the silent capture.

Can someone spot what I'm doing wrong?

Cheers

Audionut

garry23

Thanks Audionut

After playing around with things myself and thinking, I worked out a few strategies that seem to be working for me.

First, with my normal CF card I can use silent burst mode and adjust the FPS to capture a mini-timelapse sequence from. Say, 1 FPS (or less) to, say, 30 FPS. I can then import these (mini) DNGs into LR, RAW correct, export to PS-CC and create GIF sequences. This approach is a great half-way house between normal RAW burst, eg about 6 FPS according to your camera, and RAW video, which requires a 'lot' of post processing: IMHO. With my 5DIII the buffer gives up at 28 frames.

Second, using timelapse, in the simple silent mode, I am able to capture LV DNGs. Great!

My next 'education step' is trying deflickering and using the ACR scripts I have read about on the ML forum. I need to do a bit more reading on the deflicker module etc.

Bottom line: as a still photographer, the burst silent mode and the silent timelapse will allow me to experiment with 'movement', without the 'complexities' of full RAW video processing; and without 'burning out' my shutter mechanism!

Audionut

The deflicker module does not work with silent pics.

This script works great though: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8850.0