Raw video interlaced for SD camera

Started by otherman, May 24, 2014, 11:05:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

Yes, that's the only way you can do it.

But:

- if you skip one line from the raw stream, you will have only RGRGRG lines in half of the frames, and GBGBGB lines in the other half
- if you skip two lines from the raw stream, you have RGB info in each frame, but debayering each frame separately may get you into trouble on the skipped lines

I can create a modified raw2dng that creates interlaced DNG from a normal raw stream, so you can get proper test data.

Uncompressed 422 frames are larger than raw video ones, so I doubt anyone would ever find a good reason to resurrect it. To check the quality, install the stable 2.3 and try the silent picture option (that one is working for sure). You can also compile the old lv_rec module, but you may need to use the codebase right before raw_rec was created. Or just get a HDMI recorder.

otherman

well, in my case larger=useless

skipping one line takes problems in debayering? Audionut said it take resolution down to 1/4: if it's true, it is useless too.

Audionut

Quote from: a1ex on May 27, 2014, 07:12:35 PM
I can create a modified raw2dng that creates interlaced DNG from a normal raw stream, so you can get proper test data.

Yes please, I would like an accurate source stream before moving to the next step.  My original attempt was to use dual ISO 100/200 on a raw stream.  This way, I can take the ISO 100 exposure from 1 frame, and the ISO 200 exposure (darkened) from the next frame (repeating).  But extracting the original (half) resolution bright and dark frames, is more difficult then I expected.

Quote from: otherman on May 27, 2014, 07:32:24 PM
skipping one line takes problems in debayering? Audionut said it take resolution down to 1/4: if it's true, it is useless too.

Well, when you debayer a normal image, you have 4 pixels for the debayering. 

QuoteAt a closer look, the ISO alternates every two lines, so the pattern looks like this: l, H, H, l, l, H,
H, l, l. You may say it would have been better to alternate every single line, right?

Well, not quite. With ISO alternating every two lines, you get complete RGGB cells at ISO 100
and complete RGGB cells at ISO 1600. With ISO alternating every single line, you would get the
RG pixels at ISO 100 and the GB pixels at ISO 1600. Good luck interpolating that ;)

By using single lines in an interlaced video manner, the issue isn't one where the other line may be overexposed, the issue is one where the motion is probably different.  But we can't simply motion interpolate the 2 frames, as each frame doesn't even contain the full RGB data, and it is very likely, that the RG pixels don't contain accurate information for the GB pixels, and vice versa (motion difference).

When I mentioned quarter resolution, this was in regards to the data you were using for the interpolation.

Quote from: Audionut on May 27, 2014, 10:59:27 AM
Each color channel doesn't include full lines of resolution, only pixels.  So you may need to do an vertical separation also.

But then you only have quarter resolution detail for those channels that you want to interpolate., so it may not be useful.

Of course, doing both vertical and horizontal separation of the image, leaves only 1/4th of the data.  :)

otherman

Uhm, what about this:
in mlv a tag say the stream is interlaced
Raw2dng reed the tag, than separate fields and create new fake fields (gb for the rg, and viceversa) with value=0. This way we can have a normal debayer of rg fields of a time A, without interference by gb fields of the time B, am I right? (The other way around is to write a new specific debayer algorithme... But it seems pretty complicated!)
If I'm correct, than we have full temphoral resolution on Green channel to use in motion estimation that would be sufficent, i hope, to reconstruct well missing information.

a1ex

Patch for raw2dng to output interlaced frames, filled with 0 where the data is missing:

diff -r 7e8078716621 modules/lv_rec/raw2dng.c
--- a/modules/lv_rec/raw2dng.c Wed May 28 08:59:17 2014 +0300
+++ b/modules/lv_rec/raw2dng.c Wed May 28 10:15:10 2014 +0300
@@ -43,6 +43,8 @@
void find_and_fix_cold_pixels(int fix, int framenumber);
void chroma_smooth();

+void interlace_experiment(int frame_number);
+
int fix_cold_pixels = 1; //1=fix cold pixels, 0=disable

#define EV_RESOLUTION 32768
@@ -136,13 +138,15 @@
         char fn[100];
         snprintf(fn, sizeof(fn), "%s%06d.dng", prefix, framenumber);

-        fix_vertical_stripes();
-        find_and_fix_cold_pixels(fix_cold_pixels, framenumber);
+        //~ fix_vertical_stripes();
+        //~ find_and_fix_cold_pixels(fix_cold_pixels, framenumber);

#ifdef CHROMA_SMOOTH
-        chroma_smooth();
+        //~ chroma_smooth();
         #endif

+        interlace_experiment(framenumber);
+
         dng_set_framerate(lv_rec_footer.sourceFpsx1000);
         save_dng(fn, &raw_info);
     }
@@ -1158,3 +1162,18 @@
     free(aux2);
}
#endif
+
+void interlace_experiment(int frame_number)
+{
+    int group_lines = 1; /* or 2 */
+    int i;
+    for (i = 0; i < raw_info.height; i++)
+    {
+        if ((i/group_lines) % 2 == frame_number % 2)
+        {
+            /* fake interlacing by filling half of the lines with 0 on even frames, and the other half on odd frames */
+            void* row = (void*)raw_info.buffer + i * raw_info.pitch;
+            memset(row, 0, raw_info.pitch);
+        }
+    }
+}

Audionut

I added lv_rec to the end of the module build queue, but getting lots of errors around EDmac.

Building module lv_rec...
    REBUILDING
    [ README   ]   module_strings.h
    Warning: 'Author/Authors' tag is missing. You should tell the world who wrote your module ;)
    Warning: 'License' tag is missing. Under what conditions we can use your module? Can we publish modified versions?
    Warning: 'Summary' tag is missing. It should be displayed as help in the Modules tab.
    [ CC       ]   lv_rec.o
    lv_rec.c: In function 'lv_rec_vsync_cbr':
    lv_rec.c:374:9: error: implicit declaration of function 'ConnectWriteEDmac' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
             ConnectWriteEDmac(data->dmaChannel, data->dmaSourceConn);
             ^
    lv_rec.c:375:9: error: implicit declaration of function 'PackMem_SetEDmacForMemorySuite' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
             err = PackMem_SetEDmacForMemorySuite(data->dmaChannel, data->chunkData.memSuite, data->dmaFlags);
             ^
    lv_rec.c:376:9: error: implicit declaration of function 'PackMem_StartEDmac' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
             PackMem_StartEDmac(data->dmaChannel, 0);
             ^
    lv_rec.c:389:13: error: implicit declaration of function 'PackMem_PopEDmacForMemorySuite' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
                 PackMem_PopEDmacForMemorySuite(data->dmaChannel);
                 ^
    lv_rec.c:401:9: error: implicit declaration of function 'ConnectReadEDmac' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
             ConnectReadEDmac(data->dmaCopyChannel, data->dmaCopyConn);
             ^
    lv_rec.c: In function 'lv_rec_save_footer':
    lv_rec.c:497:5: error: implicit declaration of function 'fps_get_current_x1000' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
         footer.sourceFpsx1000 = fps_get_current_x1000();
         ^
    lv_rec.c: In function 'lv_rec_start':
    lv_rec.c:608:9: error: implicit declaration of function 'PackMem_RegisterEDmacCompleteCBRForMemorySuite' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
             PackMem_RegisterEDmacCompleteCBRForMemorySuite(data.dmaCopyChannel, &complete_cbr, 0);
             ^
    lv_rec.c:609:9: error: implicit declaration of function 'PackMem_RegisterEDmacPopCBRForMemorySuite' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
             PackMem_RegisterEDmacPopCBRForMemorySuite(data.dmaCopyChannel, &pop_cbr, 0);
             ^
    lv_rec.c:770:9: error: implicit declaration of function 'DeleteMemorySuite' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
             DeleteMemorySuite(data.memCopySuite);
             ^
    In file included from lv_rec.c:21:0:
    lv_rec.c: At top level:
    ../../src/module.h:8:39: error: redefinition of '__module_strings_lv_rec'
     #define MODULE_STRINGS_PREFIX         __module_strings_
                                           ^
    ../../src/module.h:216:82: note: in definition of macro 'MODULE_STRINGS_START__'
     #define MODULE_STRINGS_START__(prefix,modname)                  module_strpair_t prefix##modname[] MODULE_STRINGS_SECTION = {
                                                                                      ^
    ../../src/module.h:214:65: note: in expansion of macro 'MODULE_STRINGS_START_'
     #define MODULE_STRINGS_START()                                  MODULE_STRINGS_START_(MODULE_STRINGS_PREFIX,MODULE_NAME)
                                                                     ^
    ../../src/module.h:214:87: note: in expansion of macro 'MODULE_STRINGS_PREFIX'
     #define MODULE_STRINGS_START()                                  MODULE_STRINGS_START_(MODULE_STRINGS_PREFIX,MODULE_NAME)
                                                                                           ^
    lv_rec.c:788:1: note: in expansion of macro 'MODULE_STRINGS_START'
     MODULE_STRINGS_START()
     ^
    ../../src/module.h:8:39: note: previous definition of '__module_strings_lv_rec' was here
     #define MODULE_STRINGS_PREFIX         __module_strings_
                                           ^
    ../../src/module.h:216:82: note: in definition of macro 'MODULE_STRINGS_START__'
     #define MODULE_STRINGS_START__(prefix,modname)                  module_strpair_t prefix##modname[] MODULE_STRINGS_SECTION = {
                                                                                      ^
    ../../src/module.h:214:65: note: in expansion of macro 'MODULE_STRINGS_START_'
                                                                     ^
    ../../src/module.h:214:87: note: in expansion of macro 'MODULE_STRINGS_PREFIX'
                                                                                           ^
    ./module_strings.h:23:1: note: in expansion of macro 'MODULE_STRINGS_START'
     MODULE_STRINGS_START()
     ^
    cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
    make[3]: *** [lv_rec.o] Error 1

a1ex

Yeah, that's why I said you will need a codebase right before raw_rec was created.

Audionut

Oh, I didn't consider that, as I assumed that was directly related to the uncompressed 422 discussion.  Which it probably was........  Nevermind  :-[

After getting all of the dependencies in order, I produced this (for anyone else interested).
edit:  removed

I haven't had a chance to test it yet.

a1ex

May be a good idea to rename it to something like raw2dng-interlace.exe, so people won't use it by mistake on normal footage.

Audionut

Doesn't appear to be working.

Processing a normal ISO file.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34113196/ML/interlaced/000000.dng

And a dual ISO file.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34113196/ML/interlaced/000001.dng

edit:  Wait, should I be processing files from the old lv_rec?

a1ex

The first DNG looks OK to me: RG lines were replaced with 0, so the picture only has green and blue components.

Zoom at 100% in ufraw, for example, with AHD demosaicing. Or, process the image with "dcraw -4 -E -T 000000.dng" and then zoom in.

The VNG 4-color algorithm seems to remove these lines very well.

Audionut

In that case, I'll link raw2dng again, for someone else to look at.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34113196/ML/Builds/raw2dng-interlaced.exe

I was expecting it to skip two lines, and produce half resolution images.  I leave it for otherman or someone else to produce results from here (for now).

a1ex

See the comments for what to modify for two lines.

otherman

Audionut

I have created a 21 frame sequence using the raw2dng build above.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/e9jyoryn77xog2i/AACE0eEK75xNJpOFnCeRlrN-a

Separatefields() will remove the 0's, leaving only valid RG or GB data.

otherman

Sorry for the absence, preatty busy weeks! I'm going to continue my tests :)