Fast battery drain with FPS Override video

Started by jacobochobo, August 24, 2012, 03:29:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacobochobo

Hello

I've been using Magic Lantern 2.3 for a couple of days on my Canon 500D. Everything seems to work ok, except when I record video using FPS Override, then the battery drains super fast. Last time I used a fully charged battery and started recording a movie at 2.5 fps (1920x1080, optimize for Low Light, Bit rate FW default). The camera recorded for 6 minutes and then shut down asking to change the battery.
This doesn't happen when recording a normal movie (without FPS Override).
I didn't find anyone having this particular problem, so anyone knows how to fix it?

Thanks

a1ex

Draining a 1000 mAh battery in 6 minutes would require 10 amps. Your camera must be burning.

Did the video look like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkHLbqhwthU

I just did a test: started with an almost empty battery (indicator was blinking red) and recorded over 15 minutes with your settings (2.5fps). Got a used 500D today.

jacobochobo

I repeated the test. Same settings. At 3 minutes from start the battery icon started blinking red, at 5:30 it shot down.
The camera didn't get hot, at least what I can feel from the outside, the battery didn't feel hot either. What is strange is that after removing the battery (to feel Temperature) and putting it back in, the battery icon showed only half empty. Also I noticed the LiveView button's blue led blinked every couple of seconds, is this normal? I entered ML menu, turned of FPS Override and it stopped.
To check if the batteries are good (I have 3 of them) I recorded a normal FPS video with a battery that was already showing red icon and it recorded for 15 min before I stopped it.

Funny video by the way  :)

Thanks

jacobochobo

Anyone has had this problem?
I would really love to use FPS Override for timelapses, but I can't if the battery lasts only a few minutes...

klipp

Hi,

i have the same problem.
Video recording with 4 and 1 fps works fine. but after around 30min of recording the new and almost fully charged battery is empty.
powersaving is active and the display was switcher off.
i´m using ML 2.3 on a 600d.

Any ideas or solutions? or is that normal?

Thanks!

best,
Karsten

nick.p

Maybe you have old batteries. With my 7d I used to get terrible battery life (around 30 minutes recording time) buy new batteries for it up to around 2 hours.

klipp

I just bought the camera one week ago. So the battery should be new.