Intervelometer Problem

Started by blainesuque, May 22, 2014, 09:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blainesuque

Hey guys,

I have been using this method for some time now. I have not had any major problems. but lately when i shoot timelapses using the Intervelometer and Auto Ettr or sometimes just the intervelometer by itself. when im done and in post processing i see that sometimes the image size changes or crops randomly at some point during the timelapse but usually towards the end. My average photos per timelapse is around 300 photos. Below is an example of what im talking about, do you have any idea of what may be causing this?

ps. I also get a message "RAW ERROR" on the display sometimes and im not sure why or what that is coming from.

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/92940314@N03/14056319919/

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/92940314@N03/14056319919/

dmilligan

I can't really tell what you mean from those photos. I've never had or heard of any issues like this. Perhaps post a video of the whole timelapse or post the original CR2s from the camera, to something like drop box.

kihlbahkt

I also recently was using intervalometer on 600 D for a night sequence with  a Apr 30 nitely build. Shot under 300 images and recall seeing error messaging on the screen...raw error... with lots of lines of info... after it would take a picture and you could see the live view. As far as I know none of my images were negatively impacted.They look good in cam view. It was like 2 a.m. And I was half drunk in the middle of nowhere Utah desert, so I don't have a record of the actual text. . I did stop the sequence early just to check the images. I don't have any actual plans to shoot more image sequences with the intervalometer soon. I will run simulated pic taking using the intervalometer and see if I can get any more info about the error messaging state. Be on the lookout for issues with intervalometer peeps and try to document the issue well.
600D x2

kihlbahkt

So I have 2 600d, 1 running Apr30 and the other Feb25. Shot sequences with both last week and only saw  "raw error" on the Apr30.
600D x2

kihlbahkt

I ran a series of 120 frames sequences using simulated picture taking but nothing was revealed, no error message was seen for either cam.
600D x2

blainesuque

Quote from: dmilligan on May 22, 2014, 10:20:20 PM
I can't really tell what you mean from those photos. I've never had or heard of any issues like this. Perhaps post a video of the whole timelapse or post the original CR2s from the camera, to something like drop box.

here is the video of it : https://vimeo.com/96233305

It seems like at around 05.5 seconds the image crops or stretches. This only happens when using the ML intervelometer, Auto ETTR was off. Post Deflicker was off. and this is from the 5/20 build.
Raw error still pops up but i dont ever see anything to come from it. maybe this is the problem the error is coming from?

a1ex

Quote from: dmilligan on May 22, 2014, 10:20:20 PM
post the original CR2s from the camera

The one right before the stretch, and the one right after.

a1ex

They are perfectly aligned here.

154 is a little brighter.

blainesuque

When i pull my sequence into ACR and adjust, thats when you can really tell. Infact i just check both image sizes in photoshop and 154 is 3960w X 2640h  AND 155 is 3960h X 2228h

do you have any idea why this is happening?

dmilligan

They are both 3690 x 2640. Did you accidentally crop one of them in ACR? Try deleting any .xmp files you see or rename the CR2 files.

blainesuque

I deflickerd my sequence in bridge using the script before bringing into after effects. Maybe that resized the images? because after 155 the rest of the sequence is at the cropped size.

blainesuque

I guess ill try renaming my files everytime i shoot a timnelapse. And see if that changes anything. Do you know where i am getting the RAW ERROR notification on liveview? i believe it only pops up when i enable Auto ettr

dmilligan

Quote from: blainesuque on May 23, 2014, 10:31:24 PM
I deflickerd my sequence in bridge using the script before bringing into after effects. Maybe that resized the images?
It's not impossible, but it's unlikely, I don't mess with that setting, I'm not even sure how the xmp for that looks.

Open the first image that appears cropped in ACR and then click the crop button at the top. You should now see the whole image as well as the crop which will be slightly smaller, and the cropped part of the image will be gray. Is that in fact the case?

If so, here's what you need to do: open all the images in ACR, click the crop button at the top, make sure there is no crop (hold the button down and the select "Set to Original Crop"), then click "synchronize", in the drop down select "Crop" and make sure only the crop box is checked. then click ok.

blainesuque

Thanks so much, ill give it a try.

a1ex

Quote from: blainesuque on May 23, 2014, 10:38:37 PM
Do you know where i am getting the RAW ERROR notification on liveview? i believe it only pops up when i enable Auto ettr

This appears when ETTR can't access the raw buffer.

What camera? (I no longer have the CR2 files to find out)

Can you find the steps to reproduce it?

ansius

I have encountered the same problem on my 7D, mostly when the exposure time comes close to the interval, like 12" exposure on 15" interval. Hard to replicate, and not always there, but had it few times, reboot and disabling unnecessary modules have helped.
Canon EOS 7D & 40D, EF-S 17-85mm IS USM, EF 28-300mm IS USM, Mir-20, Mir-1, Helios 44-5, Zenitar ME1, Industar 50-2, Industar 61L/Z-MC, Jupiter 37A, TAIR-3
http://www.ansius.lv http://ansius.500px.com

blainesuque

Quote from: a1ex on May 24, 2014, 06:43:33 AM
This appears when ETTR can't access the raw buffer.

What camera? (I no longer have the CR2 files to find out)

Can you find the steps to reproduce it?

I had to delete for space. But im using the Canon 5dmk3 113 5/20/14 build

I am going to try it again this evening around sunset to see what it does.