Recommended canon settings for 7D/MLV RAW

Started by getsmokes, May 22, 2014, 11:23:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

getsmokes

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, I was unable to find the topic I'd used once before.

Can anyone let me know what the best settings are for the 7D when shooting MLV RAW, for example picture settings in the canon menu etc to achieve the best results when recording?

Many thanks.

dmilligan

Picture style settings have no affect on raw, even white balance doesn't really matter (you have full flexibility with WB in post). The only really important thing is having the correct exposure

getsmokes

I was under the impression that certain settings affected the write speed, having images set to JPEG over RAW for example.

dmilligan

Quote from: getsmokes on May 22, 2014, 01:28:10 PM
I was under the impression that certain settings affected the write speed, having images set to JPEG over RAW for example.
No, nothing like that can affect write speed. Setting image mode to JPEG instead of RAW simply causes Canon to free up some memory that ML can then use as buffer space. This is only particularly useful if you're recording faster (higher resolution) than the continuous speed of your card. It will mean you can record for slightly longer before dropping frames.

But you didn't ask about write performance, you used a completely vague and generic phrase "achieve the best results". All I can do is assume what you mean by that. I thought you were talking more about IQ and color since you mentioned picture style, than write speed/performance.

If you want a more specific answer, then perhaps you need to ask a more specific question, as the "optimum" settings are obviously going to vary depending on what exactly you're trying to do, or wishing to "optimize".

getsmokes

Okay thanks for the response, what a wonderful community you have here.

jgerstel

I am already shooting with raw_rec on 50D for a year, very stable with Komputerbay 64GB cards (Andy 600 build). Since few weeks have a 5D3 with latest 1.2.3 build, and experiment with MLV and raw. Please find my findings below:

Additional settings: Global draw off, extra hacks on, memory hacks on, buffer 4 and CF buffers 1:

• MLV and sound on or off, does not matter => 1080p frame skipping, in 50% of the cases
  • The old raw_rec is indeed more robust and stable: 1080p, 24fps => continuous OK and 10 - 12% idle

Next to that the record "beep" does not work with MLV, this beep I use to sync external mic (Zoom H2N or other). So I decided to go back to good old raw_rec again  8)

Midphase

Quote from: getsmokes on May 22, 2014, 02:20:27 PM
Okay thanks for the response, what a wonderful community you have here.

GetSmokes,

You have to understand that for people like us who are regulars around here, we see the same identical questions asked over and over again by people who for the most part are (sorry for my bluntness) either too lazy or too stupid to dig up the answer themselves. When people typically say they "searched all over the forum and didn't find anything", I have to seriously question their search methodology, or if they typed some generic search term, got frustrated when the first post didn't have the exact answer they were wanting, and decided to create yet another thread instead.

The other point is that ML is a work in progress and not necessarily a commercial product with specific instructions and recommended settings. Experimentation is really necessary to get the best out of your camera. I would strongly advise you (and all the others with similar questions) to install ML on your camera and go out and shoot a bunch of stuff with different settings.

This is how most of us learned, by doing and not by asking.

Lastly, if you're the type to get easily frustrated by complicated settings and lack of documentation, I would seriously urge you to consider other options for shooting raw such as the really awesome and cost-effective Blackmagic Pocket Camera. Despite what you might have heard, it's actually a hell of a camera, certainly one that gives the 7D a run for its money when it comes to shooting raw.