In Real Life - Short film shot on mark iii with ML raw

Started by mbiondo25, May 21, 2014, 10:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbiondo25

I would love to hear some feedback.

Thanks for watching.

Mike

poromaa

Wow! Kept me watching until the end! Great ending, great edit/grading and vfx!

The only thing I reacted on was that it was obvious that the pics were faked. The fact made me wonder if it was intentional or just poor PS skills of the protagonist (but then why so many likes? Wouldn't the online community also see this? :). Anyway thats feedback.

Inspiring and impressive

mbiondo25

Thanks! I originally had a commenter in the video say "I cant believe you guys didn't know these were fake" but I thought it would be too long for anyone to read so I cut it out. Glad you were still able to enjoy it.

Kharak

once you go raw you never go back

SiSS

Really nice!
Great style and the tempo. Amazing audio work. Love the look.

The beginning is just perfect, that's the way to do it. Clever, it sets the rhythm.

One big thing here is, that you have a very difficult idea: guy sits on the computer, stuff happens there...This must be one of the best ways I've seen it done. Nice graphics. Liked the way the older text lines were left blurred. Your editing is really spot on all the way.

Cinematography really really good, cool skin colors, that empty room curtains shot and the next gas station slider shot, just great.
You mentioned that you did all your audio in post, well done! Kitchen scene, keyboard, anger rising, likes counter, gas station background, everything very much in line for the mood. Setting an example.

Would have lot of questions :) but here's some that I've been asking lately from other great 5D3 Raw filmmakers:

1) Did you use External monitor, or EVF?
2) Do you use waveform? If so, camera, EVF, external monitor?
3) Did you have monitor with playback or did you transfer and check your material some other way right after shooting?

4) What CF cards and transfer devices did you use?

Thanks!
S

mbiondo25

Quote from: SiSS on June 02, 2014, 01:49:51 PM
Really nice!
Great style and the tempo. Amazing audio work. Love the look.

The beginning is just perfect, that's the way to do it. Clever, it sets the rhythm.

One big thing here is, that you have a very difficult idea: guy sits on the computer, stuff happens there...This must be one of the best ways I've seen it done. Nice graphics. Liked the way the older text lines were left blurred. Your editing is really spot on all the way.

Cinematography really really good, cool skin colors, that empty room curtains shot and the next gas station slider shot, just great.
You mentioned that you did all your audio in post, well done! Kitchen scene, keyboard, anger rising, likes counter, gas station background, everything very much in line for the mood. Setting an example.

Would have lot of questions :) but here's some that I've been asking lately from other great 5D3 Raw filmmakers:

1) Did you use External monitor, or EVF?
2) Do you use waveform? If so, camera, EVF, external monitor?
3) Did you have monitor with playback or did you transfer and check your material some other way right after shooting?

4) What CF cards and transfer devices did you use?

Thanks!
S

First of all thank you for the compliments. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Now to answer your questions.
1) The external monitor I used for most of the shots is the Aputure VS-1  7".
2) Did not use waveform.
3) No playback.
4) I have one lexar 32 gb 1000x

f-Stop Movies

I'm scared to say anything bad about it because you might come shoot me.

Pretty cool stuff, man. Each shot was super clean and artistic.

darkenvy

mbiondo25

Quote from: f-Stop Movies on June 13, 2014, 01:41:31 AM
I'm scared to say anything bad about it because you might come shoot me.

Pretty cool stuff, man. Each shot was super clean and artistic.

thanks! glad you liked it.

mbiondo25

Quote from: darkenvy on June 14, 2014, 07:11:30 AM
Loved it !
What's your workflow ?

Thanks! A few people have asked me about workflow so I'm going to put it in the description of the video on vimeo.

Kbam

nice story and very well executed, the audio is top notch, loved it..

actingnurse

Hey - about your workflow - could you give a little more detail? What did you use to convert the files? Did you shoot in MLV or RAW? I'm still trying to figure out how to roundtrip from grading in AE to editing in Premiere then back to AE for secondary grades on the DNG files so that I don't lose any quality... any tips?

Jared

excellent work, the story is excellent
photography and camera are great
CONGRATULATIONS!

:) :)
Photographer, Videographer, RawVideo Lover.
Canon 7D / Canon 5DMKIII

mbiondo25

Quote from: actingnurse on June 18, 2014, 09:33:40 AM
Hey - about your workflow - could you give a little more detail? What did you use to convert the files? Did you shoot in MLV or RAW? I'm still trying to figure out how to roundtrip from grading in AE to editing in Premiere then back to AE for secondary grades on the DNG files so that I don't lose any quality... any tips?

I just updated the description of the movie on Vimeo to include my raw workflow. A few people have asked me about it from different forums so I posted it in one spot for anyone who wants to see it. Thanks for watching!

mbiondo25

Quote from: Jared on June 18, 2014, 02:49:47 PM
excellent work, the story is excellent
photography and camera are great
CONGRATULATIONS!

:) :)

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

mbiondo25

Quote from: Kbam on June 16, 2014, 02:53:47 PM
nice story and very well executed, the audio is top notch, loved it..

Thank you! I thought the audio turned out pretty good but I like "top notch" better. Glad you enjoyed it!

snapshot419

Nice job did u use 32bit float or 8bit color depth ?

mbiondo25

snapshot419

do you always use 32bit for your projects or do u use 8bit sometimes

mbiondo25

Quote from: snapshot419 on June 24, 2014, 07:51:43 AM
do you always use 32bit for your projects or do u use 8bit sometimes

I've only used 32bit.

snapshot419

mbiondo25