EOS M wired remote using ML ... chuffed as beans.

Started by jamies_graham, May 19, 2014, 11:06:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamies_graham

It's my first post but I'm so bloody chuffed I've got to tell someone...anyone!

Well I bought the Canon EOS M as it's was too cheap to pass up. Played with it for a day and realised there was no wired remote. Bit annoyed but there is always the RC-6 right? But I missed the wired remote that I used with my other DLSRs. After a bit of internet hunting I found a site where a guy solders a wired remote to a cheapo RC-6 equivalent. I tried that but it was a bit flakey and I had to place the el-cheapo Ebay RC-6 in front of the M. Then I tried my el-cheapo Ebay universal a/c remote control and it was much more stable and it worked! It even worked from behind the camera. BUT THEN, fiddling in ML menus I noticed 'audio remoteshot' and it worked to a point by clapping my hands. So, to my untrained brain, audio is simply sounds waves converted to an analogue or digital signal. So I simply plugged my wired remote straight into the microphone port and pressed the button. HEY PRESTO! It worked. I'm so chuffed. The wired remote was again an el-cheapo Ebay intervalometer style one.

Next to try my Zapshot and see if wireless (non IR) remote works.

Chuffed.

jamies_graham

Sitting here quietly giggling to myself. Even Zapshot works!

bladerunner999

this post prompted me to join the forum- its so important to me!
so first: thank you very much!
and second: I'm not able to find audio remote shoot option in my version of ML for Eos M. I have the latest nightly build. can you please recommend some other version that has this option?
thanks in advance!

kihlbahkt

Great to hear when people get all giddy when a plan works out. Chuffed sounds like something bad to me, especially as a bean, but I guess I have been "chuffed" many, many times and just did not know it.
600D x2

jamies_graham

Quote from: bladerunner999 on June 03, 2014, 08:15:15 PM
and second: I'm not able to find audio remote shoot option in my version of ML for Eos M. I have the latest nightly build. can you please recommend some other version that has this option?
thanks in advance!

Sorry Bladerunner. In my excitement I got totally confused. I actually loaded Tragic Lantern, build from 9-May-014. It took me a while to work that out.!! Hope that helps. What I did find out was Audio Remote Shot simply trips the shutter. It doesn't work on bulb setting.

Quote from: kihlbahkt on June 04, 2014, 01:18:04 AM
Great to hear when people get all giddy when a plan works out. Chuffed sounds like something bad to me, especially as a bean, but I guess I have been "chuffed" many, many times and just did not know it.

Chuffed is a good thing, honest (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chuffed)

jamies_graham

and because we all love to experiment, someone has found BULB can be made to work with TL and the EOS M. Happy days... :D

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/54175235 ...great job.

jamies_graham

More interesting developments.

Watched this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EgVXMs2GaA&list=UUAXh7vUabCknJq7t2gJVpFg&index=1) and the poster is using my method with an android app called TriggerTrap (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.triggertrap&hl=en). Very interesting times. Need to experiment with this app.

Flash Gordon

Hi I was hoping someone could point me in the direct of the correct zip file to download to enable me to use the Mic import for plugging in a cable remote. I looked a post from last year but I cannot find the correct zip file. Regards Flash

dfort

Cutting to the chase, here's a link to a test build that has AUDIO_REMOTE_SHOT enabled.
https://bitbucket.org/daniel_fort/magic-lantern/downloads

This is actually has a fix that dpjpandone made and once approved should once again enable nightly builds for the EOS-M. Here's the discussion on that issue.
http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14959

One more thing, I was in your same position a while ago and helped get the AUDIO_REMOTE_SHOT feature back on the EOS-M. Here's a link to that topic. There's a link to the old build in there but I'd recommend using the newer test build if you don't feel like waiting until the nightly builds for the EOS-M are updated.
http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14913

Note that if you're having trouble with this feature it sometimes helps to reboot the camera. Also note that it works with a simple audio cable with 1/8 inch male stereo phone plugs on each end and an iPhone running TriggerTrap.

Flash Gordon

Great thank you. I have the software installed and I can see it on the screen but I don't know how to access the menu. The guide says press the delete button. When I press the dustbin button it clicks but no menu comes up. I point in the right direction would be fantastic. And thanks again for the link to the files.  :)

dfort

Do a two finger tap on the screen, that will bring up the ML menu.

The "dustbin" button will also bring up the ML menu as long as you hold it down for about one second. This works as long as your Custom Functions(C.Fn) on the Canon menu, 4th wrench all the way to the right, item 6, C.FnIV:Operation/Others is set to anything except 2:ISO speed. Yeah, those are a lot of submenus but if you follow along with your camera you'll see that it is easy.

Flash Gordon

Walter Schulz

Yes, submenu jungle can be quite demanding. There are some options to ease the pain:
- ML has a short term memory called "Modified". This tab with a delta icon will show up to the right after altering options/settings.
- ML does "My Menu", too. Prefs -> Customize Menus
- And there is "Config Presets". If you want to get rid of changing your ML settings for different genres: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8499

Flash Gordon

Hi I was hoping you might be able to help me. I have my EOSM set to take a picture using the audio setting. I have a stereo lead plugged into the mic socket and the other end of the stereo lead plugged into an infra red trigger. When the infra red beam is broken it fires the shutter and hay presto I can use it as a camera trap. The only problem is that once the camera powers down the infra red trigger doesn't fire the camera shutter. I can set the camera not to power down but the settings only allow the LCD to stay on for a maximum of 30 mins. Even with the camera set not to power down, if the LCD has powered down the infra red trigger doesn't fire the camera. does anyone have any ideas? Thank You

dfort

That is strange. I've been running a test all afternoon and even if I have LCD auto off set to 15 sec. the LCD will not turn off as long as Audio RemoteShot is turned on. Camera stays on until the battery runs out.

Flash Gordon

DGB

Hi djfort, you kindly posted this link to an audio-remote-shot enabled build of ML:

Quote from: dfort on September 07, 2015, 08:51:59 AM
Cutting to the chase, here's a link to a test build that has AUDIO_REMOTE_SHOT enabled.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3d6zpxnndvhxpoa/magiclantern-Nightly.2015Aug21.EOSM202.zip

When downloaded this, rather than an "EOSM_202.fir," I got a file named "ML-SETUP.FIR".  Further, when I double-click on the autoexec.bin file, rather than it producing another file with the same name with ".cpgz" appended to its tail (which other builds I've downloaded do), I get a message saying I don't have permission to open it.  Sorry for the caution, but am I good to use these files, or has something changed since you first posted them?

Thanks,

Dave

Licaon_Kter

Quote from: DGB on November 12, 2015, 10:26:30 PM
When downloaded this, rather than an "EOSM_202.fir," I got a file named "ML-SETUP.FIR".
That's the new installer, it's ok.

Further, when I double-click on the autoexec.bin file, rather than it producing another file with the same name with ".cpgz" appended to its tail (which other builds I've downloaded do), I get a message saying I don't have permission to open it.
That file is loaded by the camera, _you_ don't do anything with it and whatever you computer does with it when you double click it (creating .cpgz) is useless, it might even corrupt it so delete that file and unpack the ZIP again so you don't put a corrupted file on the card for the camera to load!!!

dfort

Licaon_Kter answered just before I hit the "Post" button. In any case same information, different wording.

When downloaded this, rather than an "EOSM_202.fir," I got a file named "ML-SETUP.FIR".  Further, when I double-click on the autoexec.bin file, rather than it producing another file with the same name with ".cpgz" appended to its tail (which other builds I've downloaded do), I get a message saying I don't have permission to open it.  Sorry for the caution, but am I good to use these files, or has something changed since you first posted them?

Hi Dave--first of all, while that version should work fine I have a newer build here: https://bitbucket.org/daniel_fort/magic-lantern/downloads and I deleted that Aug 21 version from dropbox. Next, why are you double clicking on autoexec.bin? It won't run on your computer. What is probably happening is that your computer is set up to open a file archiving utility because of the ".bin" file extension. In any case, once you unzip the download copy the files to your SD card. As far as the ML-SETUP.FIR, that is a change that was done a while ago, the EOSM_202.fir has been depreciated. Make sure you have only one ".fir" file on your SD card.

Good luck!

DGB

Thank to both of you.  Should have said, I had come to realize I needn't double-click on the auto exec file; that was something I did while I was figuring out how to install ML the first time 'round.  Only included that observation in my post because of my other uncertainty about the "new "ML-SETUP.FIR" file.

Have downloaded the Nov. 10 version and I, too, am "chuffed" to install it tonight!  Will make sure I've only got one ".fir" file.

All the best,

Dave