Magic Lantern RAW anamorphic on a 5D III

Started by redfitz, May 17, 2014, 02:55:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redfitz

I'm trying to figure out the best way to shoot anamorphic on a 5D III using ML RAW. Can anyone advise what the best resolution and aspect ratios would be and whether there is a a great anamorphic lens adapter that would work for both a 5D III and Zeiss CP.2 primes? I'm want to achieve 2.39:1 after the stretch. Thank you!

Midphase

I can advise you, but you probably won't like my advice.

First of all, most anamorphic prime lenses are only available as PL mount, and cost many times the cost of your camera.

Most of the anamorphic adapters available are projection lens overlays that add a lot of bulk to the camera, and need to be (in most cases) to be focused separately from your prime lenses. Because many of these anamorphic adapters actually sit on top of your existing glass, they cause heavy vignetting on a full frame sensor unless you use focal lengths of 100mm and up (in some cases you might be able to get away with an 85mm, but you will get some vignetting).

The idea of having a metal ring sit directly on top of my expensive glass is also not a welcome thing.

If what I just told you doesn't necessarily detract you from shooting anamorphic, I can tell you that I have set up my .raw recording resolution to the highest vertical resolution that the 5D3 can handle which is 1920X1288. Unfortunately I can't get this resolution to work in .mlv, only .raw and only with really fast cards that actually perform as advertised.

By shooting at almost 4:3 aspect ratio, you can de-squeeze your footage in post to a resolution of about 3551X1288 which is fairly impressive. You could also go the other way around and end up with a 1920X700-ish image. It won't quite be the 2.35:1 ratio that we all know and love, but it's close enough and you can always crop it in post.

IMHO, anamorphic shooting is a relic of a different era. While I enjoyed my experiments with it, and sunk a few hundred $ into the idea, I ultimately came out with the conclusion that it's just not practical. If you want a cinematic 2:35 ratio, you can always crop in post. If you want the higher resolution, I would advise shooting on a GH4 or Blackmagic at 4K and then crop in post.

If you're still undeterred, I'll sell you my anamorphic lens and mounting adapter for what I paid for it. ;-)

QuickHitRecord

The Zeiss Compact Primes have a large front element and aren't very well suited for any adapter that I can think of. You're better off finding a lens with a small front element (52 or 55mm filter thread).

Also, I like to take advantage of a lens's anamorphic properties and I shoot at a smaller 4:3 resolution than the maximum allowable (a wonderful feature of ML) -- I'll be stretching it in post anyway. This allows me to shoot for longer on my cards, and in some cases, I can use shorter lenses and crop out the resulting vignette.
5DmIII | January 27 2017 Nightly Build (Firmware: 1.23) | KomputerBay 256GB CF Cards (1066x & 1200x)

jgerstel

Hi

For most anamorphic lenses you need 85 mm or more. Next to that most anamorphic lenses have much less quality than your Zeiss. I use a simple canon 85mm 1.8 with Kowa 8z and that is working great. Be prepared that this is less quality than your Zeiss prime,but for anamorphic shooting this works great.

Midphase

Quote from: jgerstel on May 18, 2014, 12:54:11 PM
Be prepared that this is less quality than your Zeiss prime,but for anamorphic shooting this works great.

I think some of that loss of quality and softer focus can actually impart a more filmic look to the footage. But IMHO, the same effect can be accomplished to the same extent with the usage of vintage lenses.

I think anamorphic lenses on DSLR shoots work well when you have tons of time at your disposal for a decisively more complicated set up, and you don't need to go too wide with your shots.