Weird black and white frame flicker

Started by SiMAN369, May 16, 2014, 10:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SiMAN369

In post my RAW footage flickers every so often deeming it unusable. Most of the frame is monochrome while small patches are in colour. Can this be fixed in post or avoided using specific settings?

Using 5D Mk iii

Thanks

Midphase

Could you upload an example?

Also please give us more detail as to which nightly build you're using, resolution, frame rate, audio, etc.  and if you're using .raw or .mlv

SiMAN369

It's Nightly.2014May07.5D3123, c614ddaf6c4c
1920/1080
25fps
Modules: raw_rec

Links to examples:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123958460@N08/14017038859/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/123958460@N08/14223852563/

I hope thats enough info

Midphase

SiMAN369

Taking a wild guess at what you mean, raw2dng?

I'm not technically savvy in this field of expertise  ;D

Midphase

I guess what I'm asking is what are you using to convert the footage, and then what are you using to playback and edit it/process it?

SiMAN369

Ah okay thanks for clearing that up. Raw2dng to convert and DaVinci Resolve Lite to process. I'd then use FCPX to edit.

Midphase

I honestly don't know what might be going on, I have personally never experienced anything which looks like that. My first piece of advice would be to try and use something else to convert the raw data into CDNG. Since you're using FCPX, I assume you're on a Mac. In that case, I would suggest either RAWMagic, or MLRawViewer to convert the raw files. MLRawViewer will also allow you to playback, which should give you an instant feedback as to what the footage looks like.

Your stills don't look like corrupted data, but rather debayering errors. Resolve should be able to display the footage correctly, so I'm really not sure what could be causing this.

SiMAN369

Ok thanks so much for the help, I'll update the post on whether your suggestions work.

SiMAN369

MLRawViewer worked! raw2dng and RAWMagic Lite both resulted in damaged frames, however MLRawViewer worked like magic.