[WONTFIX] Partial Exposure Metering (video mode 550d)

Started by tihon, July 03, 2012, 09:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tihon

Hi! I find that an exposure metering freez   on "evaluative mode" in video mode... I hate this method of exposure metering because it takes all of image and give`s me an incorrect information about exp. The best   mettering mode to shoot a video is "Partial" ( when i can choose an object  to exposure on) but i can`t get it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyoEvXrkqck  more about this problem.

It would be brilliant if it would be  posible to make Partial exp. work.
Thank`s a lot for all you do and done for us!

Please, let me know anything about that.
P.S.: sorry for my english.
Cinema, cinema, cinema

scrax

To receive email when someone reply here just check the option "Notify me of replies" when posting (under Attachments and other options)

I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

a1ex

You have histogram, waveform, zebras, vectorscope... much better than any automatic metering.

tihon

Thanks. But it would be  easy to get right exposure when you choose an object and  set 0 on exposure meter line.

Usually i use a cinestyle technicolor, and   so much hard to get right exposure. Histogram, waveform, zebras, vectorscope - cool features, but provide information that i cant aplly in right way:(

Automatic metering works fine in many cases, but "evaluative mode" is unuseful for many scenes, so opportunity to set "Partial" would be realy helpful to get an accurate exposure.

Thanks again.
Cinema, cinema, cinema

Malcolm Debono

I don't think there's partial or spot metering in video mode, and there's a valid reason behind it. If such a metering mode was selected while the camera is on automatic exposure, the exposure would change dramatically every time you move the camera since it is metering a specific area rather than the whole scene.

I suggest you use manual exposure and use the histogram and zebras. Setting the histogram to luma might be easier to start with since you don't have to worry about different colour channels. You just need to make sure that you have a bell shaped curve, i.e. based in the middle, with as little clipping as possible. Clipping (i.e. overexposed & underexposed areas) occur when the histogram goes outside the left & right boundaries.

Edit: I just read that you're using Cinestyle too. As long as you make sure that the highest tip in your histogram is near the middle, you'll be fine. Also, a quick work-around if you want to meter for a specific object would be to go to photo mode with partial or spot metering, check the reading, switch back to movie mode and dial in those settings while in manual exposure. Can't get easier than that  ;)
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

tihon

Quote from: Malcolm Debono on July 05, 2012, 12:49:32 PM
I don't think there's partial or spot metering in video mode, and there's a valid reason behind it. If such a metering mode was selected while the camera is on automatic exposure, the exposure would change dramatically every time you move the camera since it is metering a specific area rather than the whole scene.

I suggest you use manual exposure and use the histogram and zebras. Setting the histogram to luma might be easier to start with since you don't have to worry about different colour channels. You just need to make sure that you have a bell shaped curve, i.e. based in the middle, with as little clipping as possible. Clipping (i.e. overexposed & underexposed areas) occur when the histogram goes outside the left & right boundaries.

Edit: I just read that you're using Cinestyle too. As long as you make sure that the highest tip in your histogram is near the middle, you'll be fine. Also, a quick work-around if you want to meter for a specific object would be to go to photo mode with partial or spot metering, check the reading, switch back to movie mode and dial in those settings while in manual exposure. Can't get easier than that  ;)

Histogramm e.t.c take`s information from all of the picture and create (show) waves.  So you can get nice exposured hightlights and to much underexposed important part of image. That is gonna be really nice to choose part of image which you want to exposure on -.

Try to shoot portrait when sky is on the background and main object is in the shadow. Histogram would be good, but object would be underexposured. So if you focuse exposure meter on the object you would have a good expo. That is like a make right exposure by grey card target
Cinema, cinema, cinema

Malcolm Debono

Quote from: tihon on July 05, 2012, 01:12:11 PM
Try to shoot portrait when sky is on the background and main object is in the shadow. Histogram would be good, but object would be underexposured. So if you focuse exposure meter on the object you would have a good expo. That is like a make right exposure by grey card target

That's where the RGB histogram comes in handy. You can easily watch the red channel in the histogram (since skin tones fall in this channel) and make sure that it's exposed properly.
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

tihon

Quote from: Malcolm Debono on July 05, 2012, 01:33:43 PM
That's where the RGB histogram comes in handy. You can easily watch the red channel in the histogram (since skin tones fall in this channel) and make sure that it's exposed properly.
So much action and histogramm when you can just choose an object and set 0 on the expo line. Easy and fast, and you can don`t have to controll all of the histogramm.
Cinema, cinema, cinema

a1ex