50D vs 7D?

Started by ariaelf, May 14, 2014, 06:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ariaelf

Hi all,

Looking to purchase a camera for continuous RAW recording on a film, need to be able to do takes at least a few minutes long, reasonably close to 1080HD. My question is 50D vs 7D... pros and cons?

FYI: the 5Dmk2, 5Dmk3, and BMPocketCam are outside of the budget.

Look forward to hearing about your experiences, thanks!

ansius

5Dmk2 is not outside the budget, especially if you consider used ones. You can find very good deals, like I got mine 7D for 570 EUR with 21k shooter count, including grip, batteries and 32GB card. I went for 7D because of the 50/60 fps at 720p and because hdmi doesn't drop resolution when filming (h264 of course).
Canon EOS 7D & 40D, EF-S 17-85mm IS USM, EF 28-300mm IS USM, Mir-20, Mir-1, Helios 44-5, Zenitar ME1, Industar 50-2, Industar 61L/Z-MC, Jupiter 37A, TAIR-3
http://www.ansius.lv http://ansius.500px.com

ariaelf

Quote from: ansius on May 14, 2014, 09:54:03 PM
5Dmk2 is not outside the budget, especially if you consider used ones. You can find very good deals, like I got mine 7D for 570 EUR with 21k shooter count, including grip, batteries and 32GB card. I went for 7D because of the 50/60 fps at 720p and because hdmi doesn't drop resolution when filming (h264 of course).

I was only considering USED 7D's to begin with.

It's really rather obnoxious to tell someone else what they can and can't afford, especially right after they say something is outside their budget. The question was 50D vs 7D, not "buy this other thing that costs twice as much."

dsManning

I agree.  I got the 50D body only for $300.  I have seen most 5DII's is hanging just over $1000.  Pretty big gap there...

If you really are on a tight budget, I'm loving the 50D.  Takes a bit of getting used to, a few quirks and oddities that are not in other camera builds.  For example cropped video is not recorded from the direct center of the sensor (working on learning a bit of the ADTG and CMOS registers to help the devs).  For the price and what you get with Magic Lantern, it is so worth it.

ted ramasola

with 7D you have sound with raw video. 50D does not.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas