Design proposals for future ML interface

Started by Arthur, July 03, 2012, 01:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Novosibirets

I continue to experiment. Something has updated, something painted.

I used the font family of Segoe UI. If the font you like, I'm willing to sponsor the purchase of its license.

Kromofone

Oh my god, I love your design and your design skills, Novosibirets! I'm definitely up for this design! So simple yet so effective, perfect! :D Maybe in the future, custom ML themes will be implemented in Magic lantern and we could use this design! :)

davekatague

Thanks for your feedback guys, I'll post up another draft which'll further work on the scrolling problem.

I have full permission from the typographic design of the typeface "Orbitron" as i already asked for permission for its use :)

Malcolm Debono

Both designs look amazing! Great work guys!

What I really like in Novosibirets's design is that it's very minimalistic and has just the right level of details. I don't know why, but this interface kind of makes the whole thing look more professional. I would prefer to have the values after the function though (easier to find the right item you're looking for). The spacing between menu items makes it quite easy to read, and would be great when coupled with item hiding (using menu key as in current version). Would also be great to have the details outside the 2.35:1 area since the black part is unused, to have more of the picture visible.
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

Kromofone

3pointedit

Novosibirets, how would you account for the extra menu items? Some pages are very full. Would your elegant design accommodate them or would they be paged/scrolled? Could you do a mock up of the worst offending screen?
550D on ML-roids

Novosibirets

Once again I apologize for my terrible English. Unfortunately some of your suggestions, I understand the difficulties.

Quote from: KromofoneMaybe in the future, custom ML themes will be implemented in Magic lantern and we could use this design!
I used to think that the MLS should be one style, but recognizable. But because each of us there is his notion of convenience, the ability to change the style would be relevant!

Quote from: Malcolm DebonoI would prefer to have the values after the function though

Quote from: Malcolm DebonoWould also be great to have the details outside the 2.35:1 area since the black part is unused, to have more of the picture visible.

Quote from: Malcolm Debonoand would be great when coupled with item hiding (using menu key as in current version)
I'm afraid I do not understand this sentence, sorry. It would be great to by pressing the MENU button is something hidden?

Quote from: 3pointeditNovosibirets, how would you account for the extra menu items? Some pages are very full. Would your elegant design accommodate them or would they be paged/scrolled?
If the current size of icons and font, there is a place to put a few sections. But the task to unify sections. Each section can contain an unlimited number of functions. The transition between the sections is the same way as in the current version. But I have another idea.

Quote from: 3pointeditCould you do a mock up of the worst offending screen?
Sorry, bad understood your last sentence. Make a concept of what?

Thank you all, I hope some of my concepts inspire you.

Malcolm Debono

That looks great!

One of the new features available in ML 2.3 is hiding menu items, which is very useful for hiding unused or set & forget menu items. This would make the menu look cleaner since only the relevant items are shown, which the user selects.

I think what 3pointedit meant is to show how the menu with the most items would look like, however I think that doesn't make sense since there's already a scroll bar (so extra menu items are beneath).
C100 & 6D shooter

Kromofone

I went on and experimented a bit, so I hope you could find this useful! I took some pictures of his design on a PC screen (Sorry for the false white balance and the bad pixel density, don't have much of good PC atm), and you could upload them to your camera to see the design! The pictures weren't changed in any way, just uploaded to the internet as normal files, so they should work on the Canon DSLR cameras, but if they don't, I've made this reply useless and I'm sorry in that case, so please someone test it out!

Pictures:
- Clean/Sharp pictures showing the pixel density:
       http://www.sendspace.com/file/2q2o4j
       http://www.sendspace.com/file/ysggxg
- Blurry pictures, so that you can see the interface on the camera easier:
       http://www.sendspace.com/file/pi38j6
       http://www.sendspace.com/file/7308ap

Again, sorry but just trying to help, if anyone has any other suggestions on how to add custom (non Canon DSLR captuerd) pictures on Canon DSLR's, message me privately!

scrax

@Kromofone: you can make cropmarks, because you need to use the same palette

@Novosibirets: Do you have time to make a vertical preview of this, please?
http://cs6237.userapi.com/u16007354/docs/df67f99b3a1e/magic_lantern_design1_menu1_2.jpg

I think that with this menu layout and an auto rotate menu feat. it could be nice to try (but maybe it's a disaster to use with autorotation)
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

Kromofone

@skrax: hmm I will try to convert them, but how could I view the full picture/cropmark (any cropmark preview feature, I could have missed?)?
I was once able to view different pictures on the camera, when I accidently threw them onto the card.

Never mind, found a solution. Just tell me how many colors can cropmarks have.

scrax

Quote from: Kromofone on August 07, 2012, 10:45:22 PM
@skrax: hmm I will try to convert them, but how could I view the full picture/cropmark (any cropmark preview feature, I could have missed?)?
I was once able to view different pictures on the camera, when I accidently threw them onto the card.

Never mind, found a solution. Just tell me how many colors can cropmarks have.
open a cropmarks with photoshop or your editor it will have the right palette already, edit that and then save it as described here. If on windows there is another post here in the forum for how to do the same.
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

Kromofone

@skrax: Alright thanks, will look into it!

As for Novosibirets's design, when possible and when ML could be ported to 650D, this design could be used for the touchscreen version of Magic Lantern, since it's easier to read, simpler, and ''easier to press via finger'', if I may say it like that!

Novosibirets

Quote from: scrax
Do you have time to make a vertical preview of this, please?
I think that with this menu layout and an auto rotate menu feat. it could be nice to try (but maybe it's a disaster to use with autorotation)
Auto rotate menu? Maybe I do not understand it, but ... so?

Quote from: Kromofonetouchscreen version of Magic Lantern
Indeed, this design is best suited primarily to the touch screen! But in this case, it is necessary to increase the design elements yet.

scrax

like on smartphones when you turn the screen the text turn so to stay horizontal.
So the icon will need just to turn 90° but stay on the long edge (so to keep them all visible), that way more options can be show.

Name of menu can stay on top in vertical layout?

Novosibirets

Quote from: scrax on August 08, 2012, 01:14:43 PM
like on smartphones when you turn the screen the text turn so to stay horizontal.
So the icon will need just to turn 90° but stay on the long edge (so to keep them all visible), that way more options can be show.

Name of menu can stay on top in vertical layout?
? :)

Kromofone

@skrax: Are you planning on modifying Magic lantern to this style for your own (personal) use?

iamtehlolrus

Whipped something up in Photoshop.  It's inspired by Arthur's design, but it's a bit darker and more minimalistic.  I'm working on other menus and the LiveView UI at the moment.

KarateBrot

That's cool! I really like your design iamtehlolrus. The only thing that bugs me is that the green line is only at the bottom. Sometimes asymmetrical things just drive me crazy :D
If you donate a RED EPIC to me you officially are very cool ;)

Malcolm Debono

We really need a way to choose different UIs with all these amazing designs  :D
C100 & 6D shooter

hd1roam

Is there any way to implement font size choice for these menus and LV display?

I realize it will change what can be seen on a single screen (next page prompt or scrolling ok with me), but as we humans age the harder it gets to see the ML tiny font display on an already dim LV display. I've increased the brightness for daylight viewing, it helps little.

Thanks!
ML ver. 2.3: mostly still photos, HDR, pano, and some video. Targets of choice; Art, landscape, wildlife, collector vehicles, events. Equipment; EOS 550D/T2i | EF 100-400mm L USM - EF-S 18-55mm f4-5.6 IS - EF-S 55-250mm IS - Win7Ult., Lightroom, Photomatix, Topaz Labs, Hugin, GIMP, Smugmug

Kromofone

Quote from: Malcolm Debono on August 09, 2012, 05:39:27 PM
We really need a way to choose different UIs with all these amazing designs  :D

Maybe the ML developers (yourself included of course) could figure out a way to ''install'' different themes for magic lantern.
Maybe a unified program that would ''link all the commands to the appropriate theme position/location of a command (some kind of a string-connection way if you know what I'm trying to say''.

Novosibirets

horizontal and vertical mode (auto rotate)

pressing button hides all unnecessary, and remains only the user menu

touch

hd1roam

Quote from: hd1roam on August 09, 2012, 06:13:48 PM
Is there any way to implement font size choice for these menus and LV display?

I realize it will change what can be seen on a single screen (next page prompt or scrolling ok with me), but as we humans age the harder it gets to see the ML tiny font display on an already dim LV display. I've increased the brightness for daylight viewing, it helps little.

Thanks!

Forgive me, reading backwards in the thread it looks like most of my post could get accommodated.
I still didn't notice where LV might get a font choice. Is this possible?
ML ver. 2.3: mostly still photos, HDR, pano, and some video. Targets of choice; Art, landscape, wildlife, collector vehicles, events. Equipment; EOS 550D/T2i | EF 100-400mm L USM - EF-S 18-55mm f4-5.6 IS - EF-S 55-250mm IS - Win7Ult., Lightroom, Photomatix, Topaz Labs, Hugin, GIMP, Smugmug

SDX

I just want to point out this thread http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=1918.0

Its for discussion of a implementation of a theme-system in ML. That includes the design of a theme-file, application for creation of design and implementation on MLs side. Would be nice if some of the designers would check out the current design of the theme-file and point out things that are missing currently.