Design proposals for future ML interface

Started by Arthur, July 03, 2012, 01:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unity2k

Is this thread still alive? Or has the idea of a new interface been lost to the abyss?

Kromofone

Nah, I don't think so. I just think it has been delayed/frozen for now until the team starts working on a new official release and if so, there is still a lot to consider with this topic and a lot of time has to be put to make this possible.

kainpower

I like the style of Arthur. Is canon style, is better integrated and professional. The font is clear and elegant. 

rednax

Quote from: kainpower on October 30, 2012, 01:08:07 PM
I like the style of Arthur. Is canon style, is better integrated and professional. The font is clear and elegant.

i think the same thing, great work. i hope the next Ml have this style

nudibranch

Quote from: rednax on November 03, 2012, 01:38:25 AM
i think the same thing, great work. i hope the next Ml have this style
Yes i do like the Arthur's menu very much also, it's simple well integrated and we know also that we are not on the Canon menu (if you use the same icon we can make a mistake)
In scuba diving we have a very well known acronym => "KISS" witch stand for Keep It Simple Stupid (to be sure to not make a mistake)
The Arthur design is just perfect : Hight contrast, well integrated, nice font (easy to read), and KISS with reference about the "old" menu (like the icons) so nobody will be lost, and new people to ML will understand it immediately

xNiNELiVES

I'm curious why is there settings to change ISO, Aperture, Shutter Speed, WB, Etc. when it is already available in the Canon Quick Menu. Isn't it redundant? Or am I missing something...

Audionut

Quote from: xNiNELiVES on May 26, 2013, 08:50:12 AM
I'm curious why is there settings to change ISO, Aperture, Shutter Speed, WB, Etc. when it is already available in the Canon Quick Menu. Isn't it redundant? Or am I missing something...

http://www.magiclantern.fm/documentation

Malcolm Debono

Quote from: xNiNELiVES on May 26, 2013, 08:50:12 AM

Because ML offers more control, for example when it comes to WB you can open the submenu and modify loads of stuff (auto WB, magenta/green balance, etc.) and the ISO menu item also makes intermediate ISO values (such as 160, 320...) possible for bodies that don't have it. Besides, it's handy to have everything grouped together  :)
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: Malcolm Debono on May 26, 2013, 09:26:32 AM
Because ML offers more control, for example when it comes to WB you can open the submenu and modify loads of stuff (auto WB, magenta/green balance, etc.) and the ISO menu item also makes intermediate ISO values (such as 160, 320...) possible for bodies that don't have it. Besides, it's handy to have everything grouped together  :)

thanks

Novosibirets

I want to draw attention to a numbered menu structure. This numbering can be useful for creating training videos. Another advantage of such a structure that the lists can be very roomy.

skotopes

It would be nice to have a big card info screen

darkstarr

Quote from: iamtehlolrus on August 09, 2012, 12:51:34 AM

Whipped something up in Photoshop.  It's inspired by Arthur's design, but it's a bit darker and more minimalistic.  I'm working on other menus and the LiveView UI at the moment.

this is very nice! i dig i dig

slang

Quote from: Novosibirets on June 02, 2013, 09:04:15 PM
I want to draw attention to a numbered menu structure. This numbering can be useful for creating training videos. Another advantage of such a structure that the lists can be very roomy.

This one is awesone!! not just redesign of the old stuff but completly new idea and workflow. good job!

druckgott

robschii

ed.jenner

I'd just like to add my 2c to the original post and the KISS principle.  Personally I don't care if it looks like the current Canon menu or even a Nikon menu - simple as possible, easy to read and effective.   I know it's tempting to get fancy, by the yellow, while not inspiring, looks easiest to read to me.

'cool' should not IMO be a consideration.

Even with the current menu moving the top icons around would be good (audio next to movie, exposure, shoot and focus next to each other, display and overlay next to each other etc..

Marsu42

Quote from: kainpower on October 30, 2012, 01:08:07 PM

+1 ... I've written this before in this thread, but again: Everything that makes ml look more like Canon imho is a good idea to attract new users and blend ml with Canon... I'm not so sure about the 2 row style of 5d3/1dx, but the "simple" old-school style of the 6d.